Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any DC'ers do "warm-up" Cardio before a workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any DC'ers do "warm-up" Cardio before a workout?

Sorry, another stupid question:

I've heard a lot of lifters who believe in it, and a lot who don't. I'm not talking about off-day cardio, I'm talking about a 5-minute-or-so cardio session before lifting.

I will usually do about 4-5 minutes on a treadmill at about 5.5 MPH to get my HR up.

I guess the question is: is there any real point to this? Considering in DC the number of warm-up sets before a "real" RP set - does a little cardio help at all or not, in anyone's opinion?

It seems that, if you read Flex magazine, for example, about half of the pros do warm-up cardio, and half don't...

Thanks a lot for the help!

When I stated pushing more weight and when I felt like I had to do 100 sets to warm up for my first actual RP set or SS on squats or something I would always do about 5 mins on the elliptical or something.

It helps a lot if you have trouble getting warmed up and stretched out.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
      When I stated pushing more weight and when I felt like I had to do 100 sets to warm up for my first actual RP set or SS on squats or something I would always do about 5 mins on the elliptical or something.

It helps a lot if you have trouble getting warmed up and stretched out.
      Thanks a lot for the perspective, Fade. If you're doing it, then I probably can't go wrong do it, too.

Comment

I see a lot of people doing this and if it helps then do it. I usually just do about 300-500 jumps with my trusty jump rope and then move into PVC rolling and dynamic mobility stuff. I would especially focus on the last two though, when I'm short on time I'd rather skip the cardio than skip mobility work and SMR.
        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

I'm not doing DC. I'm not sure why it would matter what type of bb program your doing to answer this question, but I have started to do warm up cardio every workout during my precontest and have noticed improved performance. I think I will keep this up in the offseason. Right now I'm doing 15 minutes. 5 minutes is really slow walking, then I slowing ramp it up until I'm doing a somewhat fast walk on the last few minutes. I finish with a slow pace. My joints feel much looser and I've actually gotten stronger, so it hasn't hurt me. Just make sure it's a warm up and not a workout. Some people might think this is too long, but I'm really not sure 5 minutes is long enough to warm anything up and if you can't do 10-15 minutes you either have time limitations or your very out of shape. As Skip would say, Just Sayn'.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Always do 5 mins. on elliptical pre WO.
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by FNP90 View Post
              Thanks a lot for the perspective, Fade. If you're doing it, then I probably can't go wrong do it, too.
              Lol, don't mistake me for the guy in my avatar... though that is my son.
              Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
              FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
              www.316fit.com
              Email: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks very much, guys. I think that I will stick with it, since it sounds like many of you warm-up in one way or another.

I think Doberman's point of "Just make sure it's a warm up and not a workout" is excellent - sometimes I get off the treadmill tired as hell and wonder why I just did all that running before doing the REAL work of my work-out. I think maybe I need to back off a little, so it's just a warm-up.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Probably doesn't matter anymore, but I thought I'd give my input. I don't know if it's just placebo or something, but when I get a nice easy five minute run in before my workouts I always seem to have a longer, better, heavier weight workout. It's probably just placebo, but I think it's a great warm up.

Comment

Working...
                  X