Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I'm ready

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think I'm ready

    Been training four years. 5'10 165 13% bf.
    Deadlift: double overhand 305 5 reps
    Squat: Best numbers were 315 for 5 reps, til I realized I wasn't activating quads at all during the squat. Once I concentrated better on form I realized I could hit 280 for 10 reps, then 280 for 8 reps, and so on for about four sets.
    Overhead Press-Weakest lift out of compounds 115 for 7 reps
    DB bench-85 in each hand with good form, meaning all the way up and all the way down, really contracting my chest hard. If I didn't concentrate on any of this, I could probably do 95 for 5 reps with a hard effort.

    At the moment, will be following straight set DC since I feel that's the best bridge to real DC training. I will probably start it after my deload or "cruise" next week. Ran a push/legs/pull 2x a week for 5 weeks. Each workout took 2-3 hours because it's not easy taking 24 sets to failure, 32 including rear delt work, and 17 sets to failure for back, 8 sets to failure for legs. What a waste of time that I will never be able to fix.

  • #2
    Disregard the title. Even Scott himself says I would do fine at this point on something that progressively loads on compounds, which I can assume I'm not ready yet for. Will use straight set DC to get to 200 lb lean.....hopefully. I guess, just looking people to chime to say that I'm going in the right direction.

    Comment


    • #3
      No offense, but do you really need so many threads to try to justify that you're ready to DC? How about turn off your comp and just do whatever you like without asking for justification for something that you're set on doing no matter what.

      Comment


      • #4
        JamesWarren's US twin lol
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

        - Success is the best revenge

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by shffl View Post
          No offense, but do you really need so many threads to try to justify that you're ready to DC? How about turn off your comp and just do whatever you like without asking for justification for something that you're set on doing no matter what.
          This is per Scott's recommendation. He recommended me to post stats, training experience, etc. I assumed he meant I'm not ready, but after rereading the email, that's not what he said. He doesn't think I need personal training at all. He recommended me to go ahead and post stats and training stats in the pound puppy forum to figure out from users if I'm not ready. If I still insist I want to train with him, he doesn't want to hear me say that I could've got all this help for free from the users at the forum.

          Comment


          • #6
            You're not.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              You're not.
              I'm not ready for DC or I'm not on the right path with straight set DC?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vcjha View Post
                I'm not ready for DC or I'm not on the right path with straight set DC?
                Both. I think you would be much better served with a program that has you focusing almost entirely on compound movements performed rather frequently, like a good 5x5 or 5/3/1. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just saying I know from experience that the program that will give you the best gains in terms of strength and size is NOT DC right now.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  Both. I think you would be much better served with a program that has you focusing almost entirely on compound movements performed rather frequently, like a good 5x5 or 5/3/1. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just saying I know from experience that the program that will give you the best gains in terms of strength and size is NOT DC right now.
                  What 5*5 program would you recommend? I've heard bad things about starting strength along with one reason I believe: people end up with gigantic front delts, no calves, no biceps, and no lat width. The second reason which is what I believe is nobody can properly perform power cleans without a good coach to teach them.
                  Last edited by vcjha; 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great advice Sammich. I agree. I am in NO WAY trying to speak for Scott, but I believe what he means by saying you don't need personal training is that there is so much you can learn for free from members like Sammich and others at this point in your training that you don't personal one on one training yet. I would recommend Scott to anyone, as he has helped me immensely, and I think it speaks volumes to his professionalism and integrity that he told you that honestly. Many other trainers would be more than happy to take your money. Listen, research, research, research, ask good questions, dont take things personally if you dont like the answers, and you'll be surprised the plethora of valuable, helpful, FREE advice you'll receive here. Then when the time comes, Scott can take you to a level you never thought possible.

                    Good Luck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      Both. I think you would be much better served with a program that has you focusing almost entirely on compound movements performed rather frequently, like a good 5x5 or 5/3/1. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just saying I know from experience that the program that will give you the best gains in terms of strength and size is NOT DC right now.
                      Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
                      Great advice Sammich. I agree. I am in NO WAY trying to speak for Scott, but I believe what he means by saying you don't need personal training is that there is so much you can learn for free from members like Sammich and others at this point in your training that you don't personal one on one training yet. I would recommend Scott to anyone, as he has helped me immensely, and I think it speaks volumes to his professionalism and integrity that he told you that honestly. Many other trainers would be more than happy to take your money. Listen, research, research, research, ask good questions, dont take things personally if you dont like the answers, and you'll be surprised the plethora of valuable, helpful, FREE advice you'll receive here. Then when the time comes, Scott can take you to a level you never thought possible.

                      Good Luck
                      Got it. Thank you, yeah, what Scott did is different from anybody else and even beyond respectful. I at first thought straight set DC would be the perfect bridge, but now I'd love to now know what 5*5 program is best
                      Last edited by vcjha; 04-11-2012, 12:43 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bill Starr's 5x5

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                          JamesWarren's US twin lol
                          JamesWarren started posting from the get go.
                          Something inspired op to start now.

                          also OP, if i deadlift more than you and im not ready for DC, its safe to say you aren't ready either.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by vkk View Post
                            JamesWarren started posting from the get go.
                            Something inspired op to start now.

                            also OP, if i deadlift more than you and im not ready for DC, its safe to say you aren't ready either.
                            Got it

                            Originally posted by shffl View Post
                            Bill Starr's 5x5
                            This one? http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-...5-Workout.aspx

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The above-linked Bill Starr 5x5 is a great one. I am a huge fan of 5/3/1, which I am about to resume running myself.
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X