Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just purchased Wendlers 5/3/1 2nd edition....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just purchased Wendlers 5/3/1 2nd edition....

    skipped straight to the rest pause section (i will read the rest of the book tonigt, currently at work) and it makes for a very good read. the workout looks solid. its obvious that dante and jim worked hard together to get the workout just right, not that we would expect any less.

    think i will start this workout after next week.

    has anyone else purchased the ebook, what are your opinions, obviously not trying to disclose too much info as people need to buy the book if they want to know the workout and %'s!

  • #2
    Originally posted by height_11 View Post
    skipped straight to the rest pause section (i will read the rest of the book tonigt, currently at work) and it makes for a very good read. the workout looks solid. its obvious that dante and jim worked hard together to get the workout just right, not that we would expect any less.

    think i will start this workout after next week.

    has anyone else purchased the ebook, what are your opinions, obviously not trying to disclose too much info as people need to buy the book if they want to know the workout and %'s!
    Say what now?

    Comment


    • #3
      Dude, the 3 day RP routine he has designed looks brutal, to say the least! I just died reading it!! But the 4 day one looks doable. But I would have no idea. First, because I have no exp with RP. Secondly, I just feel that i dont understand intensity as well as I ought to do the RP stuff! What I thought was very helpful though is the part where he talks about strength building assistance stuff and gives percentages for them. That stuff is excellent!

      Good luck if u r gonna do the RP stuff Wendler has laid out. I'll definitely be following your journal. Keep us updated!

      R


      Sent from SuperHuman's Phone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Is the rest-pausing done for assistance work?

        Comment


        • #5
          I think combining 5/3/1 and rest-pausing assistance work is just about the dumbest thing you can do. Combining squatting, deadlifting, and benching EVERY WEEK with an intensity-increasing technique that is notoriously taxing on recovery of both body and CNS? Instant recipe for disaster.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            I think combining 5/3/1 and rest-pausing assistance work is just about the dumbest thing you can do. Combining squatting, deadlifting, and benching EVERY WEEK with an intensity-increasing technique that is notoriously taxing on recovery of both body and CNS? Instant recipe for disaster.
            Yeah sounds about right. In the first book he says you shouldn't train to failure; stated that opinion in several articles so doesn't make much sense.

            Comment


            • #7
              PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS: If you are putting the right amount of effort into the 5/3/1 program, you will get FANTASTIC results. The meat of the program is the core lifts, not the accessory work. By frequently performing big, compound movements and progressing on them, you WILL get bigger and stronger. Those are where you should devote your time and energy.

              The accessory movements are to support the core lifts. Performing rest-pause sets as accessory movements will detract from your core lifts, thus retarding your progress. Let me put it this way: I've been deadlifting once a week for a long time now, and my traps are getting fucking massive (relatively speaking, of course). Would they be bigger if I was rest-pausing shrugs every deadlift day? Probably not, because then I would have less energy and recovery ability to devote to deadlifts. Make sense?
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                I think combining 5/3/1 and rest-pausing assistance work is just about the dumbest thing you can do. Combining squatting, deadlifting, and benching EVERY WEEK with an intensity-increasing technique that is notoriously taxing on recovery of both body and CNS? Instant recipe for disaster.
                If you ever get a chance to read the section with RP in the 2nd Edition, you will see it is just too brutal. From what I understand DC training is just a nightmare and only can be done by people with good understanding of their own capacity for intensity. What Wendler suggests is just crazy! Even the 4 day version with lesser RP. No chance! IMO

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  I think combining 5/3/1 and rest-pausing assistance work is just about the dumbest thing you can do. Combining squatting, deadlifting, and benching EVERY WEEK with an intensity-increasing technique that is notoriously taxing on recovery of both body and CNS? Instant recipe for disaster.
                  Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS: If you are putting the right amount of effort into the 5/3/1 program, you will get FANTASTIC results. The meat of the program is the core lifts, not the accessory work. By frequently performing big, compound movements and progressing on them, you WILL get bigger and stronger. Those are where you should devote your time and energy.

                  The accessory movements are to support the core lifts. Performing rest-pause sets as accessory movements will detract from your core lifts, thus retarding your progress. Let me put it this way: I've been deadlifting once a week for a long time now, and my traps are getting fucking massive (relatively speaking, of course). Would they be bigger if I was rest-pausing shrugs every deadlift day? Probably not, because then I would have less energy and recovery ability to devote to deadlifts. Make sense?
                  Beat me to it. I had my response ready and everything.

                  I agree with Sammich. Rest-pausing assistance work would mean putting more effort into that than one's main lifts, which in the first edition Wendler says is a popular mistake that he thinks is stupid. I'm sorry to sound like a jerk, but I think Wendler included it in this edition to cater to the people who bastardize training programs and want to do 5/3/1 and DC instead of having the focus and maturity to devote their efforts to one exclusively.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any thoughts on this

                    http://castironknowledge.blogspot.de...cesful_16.html

                    IIRC, JW addressed the lack of maximal effort training in this 531 for powerlifting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shffl View Post
                      Any thoughts on this

                      http://castironknowledge.blogspot.de...cesful_16.html

                      IIRC, JW addressed the lack of maximal effort training in this 531 for powerlifting.
                      I think that this is basically kind of shit. Read the article and seems like the dude is being very nick picky which weight lifting should never be. Just clicked on his program for strong man and he advises supersetting DB press and DB flyes to failure after doing bench, incline bench, and decline bench on day 4. After reading that I believe it is now complete shit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS: If you are putting the right amount of effort into the 5/3/1 program, you will get FANTASTIC results. The meat of the program is the core lifts, not the accessory work. By frequently performing big, compound movements and progressing on them, you WILL get bigger and stronger. Those are where you should devote your time and energy.

                        The accessory movements are to support the core lifts. Performing rest-pause sets as accessory movements will detract from your core lifts, thus retarding your progress. Let me put it this way: I've been deadlifting once a week for a long time now, and my traps are getting fucking massive (relatively speaking, of course). Would they be bigger if I was rest-pausing shrugs every deadlift day? Probably not, because then I would have less energy and recovery ability to devote to deadlifts. Make sense?

                        you can def RP the assistance lifts... i follow my own 531/DC hybrid... my assistance lifts are all RP, just use lighter weights and shoot for a higher amount of reps... without outlining my entire routine......if its bench day, my set of assistance lifts may be, incline dumbell bp, w-g pull downs, skull crushers, hammer curls.... all RP ..... the idea is to get STRONGER... in 531 the 4 main lifts, bbp,dl,ohp,sq, take precidence over the assistant work. ..so in my basterdized program, the main goal is increasing those lifts..... in DC progressive overload is the key, so if u keep progressing on the assistance work, rotating it as per DC, it will work, i swear im living proof! think about is like this... if ur first lift on a DC day is dumbell bench press, and u get the 75s for 12rp, the next time u hit them in ur rotation the goal is to beat that and get the 75s for 12+, or move onto the 80s..... smae thing if u do it this way except, maybe instead of the 75s, ur using the 65s, but ur still progressing every rotation, ur just using a lighter weight then u would if u were fresh.......this way u get the best of both worlds!!!!! and if u think its 2 much work, or overtraining, its only 3 days a week. takes hour and a half max from warm ups and rolling, to extreme stretching and protein shakes....just eat and rest more cuz ur gonna get bigger and stronger and grow like a weed!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          From what I understand, "assistance" lifts in powerlifting training do not need a lot of intensity or positive failure.

                          Therefor I can imagine that the 5/3/1 rp thingie doesn't call for the same intensity used on DC.
                          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

                          "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

                          “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

                          The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                            From what I understand, "assistance" lifts in powerlifting training do not need a lot of intensity or positive failure.

                            Therefor I can imagine that the 5/3/1 rp thingie doesn't call for the same intensity used on DC.

                            what if youre not a powerlifter? no desire to compete. just want to get bigger and stronger in life? so ur saying, a powerlifter dosent train assistance lifts hard? ok, maybe not to failure, but what if they did??? granted, im suggesting u tape ur "thingie" to ur leg and have a 20 ounce porterhouse waiting for u when u get home. i completely understand that... as well as a nice warm shower and a good ten hours of sleep ahead of you... but the entire work out becomes a challenge and something to look foward to... ever do 531??? after the main lift, what do u do? a little of this and some of that... thats boring!! y not pick a few accesories and destroy them and get stronger week after week?? ive done DC to the letter... works great!! but i wanted a strong bench, dl, overhead press and squat... the only way to get those 4 lifts up is to prioritize them. so when 531 came out i looked into that and followed that... worked great!!!! but i missed the jacked muscle bellies and the pump feeling of awesomeness that u get from DC training. AND IS OBVIOUS THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE SOUGHT WAYS TO INCLUDE BOTH DC AND 531 INTO THE SAME TRAINING TEMPLATE. its all u see/saw over the message boards for a very long time... im not telling anyone to do it, im just saying that there def is a way and it works... obviously it cant be called DC or 531 Training, thats for damn sure... but its the closest way to incorporate both... ive been my own guinee pig for ten months now, and my shit has shot through the roof. all natural, no drugs. just a normal dude with dedication. my next step, statring in January will be trying to incorporate cardio to see if i can strip down body fat while keeping strength gains up. sitting at 14% now, eatting like a beast with no cardio... possibility roaming my head is a rotation of day 1 lifting, day 2 cardio (hill sprints, prowler training), day 3 off.... well see!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
                              what if youre not a powerlifter? no desire to compete. just want to get bigger and stronger in life? so ur saying, a powerlifter dosent train assistance lifts hard? ok, maybe not to failure, but what if they did??? granted, im suggesting u tape ur "thingie" to ur leg and have a 20 ounce porterhouse waiting for u when u get home. i completely understand that... as well as a nice warm shower and a good ten hours of sleep ahead of you... but the entire work out becomes a challenge and something to look foward to... ever do 531??? after the main lift, what do u do? a little of this and some of that... thats boring!! y not pick a few accesories and destroy them and get stronger week after week?? ive done DC to the letter... works great!! but i wanted a strong bench, dl, overhead press and squat... the only way to get those 4 lifts up is to prioritize them. so when 531 came out i looked into that and followed that... worked great!!!! but i missed the jacked muscle bellies and the pump feeling of awesomeness that u get from DC training. AND IS OBVIOUS THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE SOUGHT WAYS TO INCLUDE BOTH DC AND 531 INTO THE SAME TRAINING TEMPLATE. its all u see/saw over the message boards for a very long time... im not telling anyone to do it, im just saying that there def is a way and it works... obviously it cant be called DC or 531 Training, thats for damn sure... but its the closest way to incorporate both... ive been my own guinee pig for ten months now, and my shit has shot through the roof. all natural, no drugs. just a normal dude with dedication. my next step, statring in January will be trying to incorporate cardio to see if i can strip down body fat while keeping strength gains up. sitting at 14% now, eatting like a beast with no cardio... possibility roaming my head is a rotation of day 1 lifting, day 2 cardio (hill sprints, prowler training), day 3 off.... well see!
                              Good luck.........

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X