Why teenagers shouldn't try DC Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why teenagers shouldn't try DC Training

The first cautions I see associated with DC training is that it is not for teenagers or anyone who hasn't been training for a large number of years. They say it is too intense and you won't be able to handle it.
    But did these people ever try DC training when they were teenagers?
    See I am the ultimate hardgainer. I've been lifting- sometimes seriously, sometimes not seriously at all, for about 2 years. Much of that time has been disheartening because frankly I barely put on any muscle, even with the use of any number of highly touted supplements. Then I stumbled along DC training from the internet, and eased my way into it, experimenting with rest pause sets and full body workouts, before going fully into it.
    I've now gone through each split 3 times (9 DC workouts), and for the first time in my life I'm really growing a significant amount of muscle.

The main variations I've taken from real DC'ing-
    Cut out the extreme stretching. Instead I do a full body warmup including running and some extremely lightweight upper body dumbbell exercises and stretch before lifting. The extreme stretching caused severe joint pain, especially the back stretch, and really fucked up my recovery time. I still do the quad stretch because there is no joint pain.

My split is different. Split 1 is back width, back thickness, triceps, shoulders, hamstrings
    Split 2 is chest, biceps, quads, calves, and forearms. I decided on this as the best way to keep down recovery time and give full effort on each muscle group.
    With most exercises that do a rest pause I end on 2 negatives. With triceps and biceps I usually follow my main exercise with a drop set of cable curls or pushdowns.
    Last difference is that I don't have a weekly split- I workout every other day. If a muscle in particular can't move then I give myself the extra rest day as needed (usually happens after front squat day.)

The Results:
    So far I've doubled my chinups, my dumbbell bench press is up 33%, my clean and press is up 20%, and my deadlifts and squats are both up 35%. (in 19 days.) I've put on 5lbs and my love handles are evaporating so it may even be more than 5 lbs of muscle.
    From the results alone I'd say DC is a godsend! But more than that, it barely feels like work. All those people who say DC is a lazy man's program are, in a weird way, right. Because DC training is fun. Workouts are fun because they are full of good exercises instead of the BS stuff I used to have to do on isolation days. I don't waste any time counting calories. I may be working hard as hell for my hour in the gym, but it's a fun kind of hard work. On the whole I feel like I'm working smarter and my volume training friends are working harder.

I haven't had any real issue with recovery time. I think that those people saying this is a bad idea for teenagers are forgetting that those of us with open growth plates have significantly enhanced recovery ability over ya'll old folks , and we can probably handle this beating better than an older person of the same experience and strength level. BCAAs also help, I just started using those last week.

Thanks for reading, thought I'd share. For those of you who are 18-19 and haven't tried DC, my recommendation would be to give it a shot and just be careful.

Originally posted by WashingtonDC View Post
    The first cautions I see associated with DC training is that it is not for teenagers or anyone who hasn't been training for a large number of years. They say it is too intense and you won't be able to handle it.
    See I am the ultimate hardgainer. I've been lifting- sometimes seriously, sometimes not seriously at all, for about 2 years. Much of that time has been disheartening because frankly I barely put on any muscle, even with the use of any number of highly touted supplements. Then I stumbled along DC training from the internet, and eased my way into it, experimenting with rest pause sets and full body workouts, before going fully into it.
    I've now gone through each split 3 times (9 DC workouts), and for the first time in my life I'm really growing a significant amount of muscle.

Cut out the extreme stretching. Instead I do a full body warmup including running and some extremely lightweight upper body dumbbell exercises and stretch before lifting. The extreme stretching caused severe joint pain, especially the back stretch, and really fucked up my recovery time. I still do the quad stretch because there is no joint pain.

My split is different. Split 1 is back width, back thickness, triceps, shoulders, hamstrings
    Split 2 is chest, biceps, quads, calves, and forearms. I decided on this as the best way to keep down recovery time and give full effort on each muscle group.
    With most exercises that do a rest pause I end on 2 negatives. With triceps and biceps I usually follow my main exercise with a drop set of cable curls or pushdowns.
    Last difference is that I don't have a weekly split- I workout every other day. If a muscle in particular can't move then I give myself the extra rest day as needed (usually happens after front squat day.)

The Results:
    So far I've doubled my chinups, my dumbbell bench press is up 33%, my clean and press is up 20%, and my deadlifts and squats are both up 35%. (in 19 days.) I've put on 5lbs and my love handles are evaporating so it may even be more than 5 lbs of muscle.
    From the results alone I'd say DC is a godsend! But more than that, it barely feels like work. All those people who say DC is a lazy man's program are, in a weird way, right. Because DC training is fun. Workouts are fun because they are full of good exercises instead of the BS stuff I used to have to do on isolation days. I don't waste any time counting calories. I may be working hard as hell for my hour in the gym, but it's a fun kind of hard work. On the whole I feel like I'm working smarter and my volume training friends are working harder.

I haven't had any real issue with recovery time. I think that those people saying this is a bad idea for teenagers are forgetting that those of us with open growth plates have significantly enhanced recovery ability over ya'll old folks , and we can probably handle this beating better than an older person of the same experience and strength level. BCAAs also help, I just started using those last week.

Thanks for reading, thought I'd share. For those of you who are 18-19 and haven't tried DC, my recommendation would be to give it a shot and just be careful.
    You arent DC training...you are WashingtonDC training. Im sure others will fill you in as to why....

But, if youre gaining...keep it up.

-slide
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

The Results:

:twitch:Gotta be a troll...

if not. grats on your gains. but :hand:you're not doing DC, so I wouldn't be "recommending" it.

Comment

You immediately got your 3 posts to make a new thread to show us that you haven't followed a good goddamned thing that Dante told you.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Harsh reaction. Damn.
          The only really significant difference is the extreme stretching is replaced with normal stretching. I still do carb cutoffs, high protein, high weight rest-pause, and increase every time. If you'd like to fill me in as to what I'm doing that pissed everyone off so much, I'd love to hear it.

Comment

smh

I'll make this thred worth while...here's some lulz...

Seriously though, there are so many red flags in your post it's just amazing.

Go do what you want. You won't have anyone here tell you that it's a good idea though. Go for it.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
            -1st Heavyweight Gi
            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

DC: exercise splits done in ORDER the way Dante laid it out, and in the manner he laid it out. High protein intake. Extreme stretching. Carb cutoffs. Fasted morning cardio to keep from becoming a fat-ass.

I'm FAAAAARRRRR from being an expert, but what described here follows any of this???

And when people do this type of shit and it doesn't work or they get hurt, who do they blame? Dante.

Go back and read some more. Please!

Comment

^See that same thing again. Criticism without the constructive part. If someone wants to explain specifically what I'm doing wrong and what they think the consequences will be I'd love to hear it that's why I posted here.
                And I realize you don't know me, but give me the benefit of the doubt here. I'm intelligent enough to understand that the consequences of my actions are my own and not blame them some internet personality who I've never met.

Comment

My recommendation to anyone in this age demographic would be not to listen to a word you say.

Edit: *snip*

Last edited by Lock it Up; 02-29-2012, 11:54 PM. Reason: Served it's purpose :)

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                  -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

^See that same thing again. Criticism without the constructive part. If someone wants to explain specifically what I'm doing wrong and what they think the consequences will be I'd love to hear it that's why I posted here.
                    And I realize you don't know me, but give me the benefit of the doubt here. I'm intelligent enough to understand that the consequences of my actions are my own and not blame them some internet personality who I've never met.
                    Stop trying to be "mature" and not let your age show...it has ALREADY. You're only gonna get bashed more if you keep asking "WHY AM I WRONG!?!" Seriously, this thread pops up at least once a month...you obviously haven't read a damn thing, and THAT pisses a lot of vets off.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                    -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

You are just training HIT and not DC...ain't nothing wrong with that and if its working keep doing it but its not DC. DC is extremely specific in every part of it. I don't agree with every part of it but I agree with the overall philosophy...you can gain on it but you can gain on any low volume HIT program.
                      Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                      Nicki Minaj

Comment

how can you say "dc success" when you arent training dc?
                        Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                        -John Ceasar

Comment

Thanks thedunhill. Sorry for the confusion. I guess I didn't have a full understanding of what defines DC. At any rate, full body workouts focusing on improving one rest pause set have worked for me when nothing else has.
                          To the rest of you, consider that you just lost your shit completely at someone just looking for a little constructive criticism. You're all bristling about your internet forum hierarchy and this that and the other. Chill out. Its a forum. Nobody cares that much; it's a bunch of anonymous screennames and for all we know one of the experts on here is a 12 year old girl in China. I'm a VA fireman, and there, hierarchy matters for a reason. We rely on each other for our lives. Here it's just a bunch of big old guys behind a computer screen getting pissed off because they can't intimidate someone in person. It's kind of sad.
                          Last thought of the day, to those of you getting angry about having to do every single aspect of DCing.
                          "Thirdly, everybody wants to cookie cutter this stuff and its frustrating the hell out of me and Inhuman and others. Some things are basic and can be used by everyone. But there is alot of stuff that has to be individually decided according to you dietwise and also to you injurywise, strengthwise, timewise,"
                          And with that I bid this forum adieu.

Comment

guess he told you Lock and Sammy.
                            Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                            -John Ceasar

Comment

How many of these kids do we get a year, do you think?
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X