Noob blast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob blast question

Disclaimer: I am sorry if the answer to this is in the stickies and I just missed it; I am definitely not a computer/search engine whiz. I am one of the many, many people in the "been working out for 15+ years, doing the Flex-magazine-type routines without much results" category. And I'm thinking of eventually trying DC.

Anyway, my question, if anyone is willing to give expert advice: I recently read Adam's thread about picking the 3 best exercises for a certain bodypart and doing those 3 until you are forced to change due to lack of progression. Okay, that makes perfect sense.

What I don't understand, however, is the abundance of "Rate my Blast" threads written by people who have been doing DC, and are cruising and about to start another blast. Maybe I'm just mis-interpreting some of those threads, but it sounds like some people make-up whole new groups of exercises for their blasts every time they start a new one. So the actual question, I guess is - why would you want a new blast to be different than your old blast???

In other words, if you start a new blast that is different than your old blast, then you would have to do exercises that are NOT in your 3 best exercises, right?

Or are you DC'ers so in-tune with your bodies that you lose progression on every exercise at the same time, and therefore HAVE to make a whole different blast?

Am I just overanalyzing this? :twitch:

Thanks very much for any clarification...

FNP,

There's no need to switch out exercises if you're still progressing. It would be a mistake (i.e., would slow progress) generally speaking for most folks, IMO.

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Because they're wrong lol.

Pick 3 movements that work for you and allow long term, big progression. Then ride those exercises until you plateau. THEN you switch it out to something new. Obviously trying to pick another solid movement you think will work for you.

At the end of each blast you simply cruise and start over with new baselines. You may be tempted to look back but do not. Just set a new baseline for the new blast and go.

Example...

Incl bench
      200x17rp
      210x13rp
      210x16rp
      215x18rp
      Cruise
      210x17rp
      220x15rp
      230x11rp
      Cruise
      225x14rp
      235x10rp
      235x10rp (maybe a bad day. Try again)
      235x9rp (done. Switch it out now or cruise if time)

Prematurely switching exercises is from impatience. If there's a new exercise you want to try do it on a cruise week and feel it out nice and easy.

Edit- Scott snuck in while I was typing. Listen to him.
      Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys.

I was actually hoping you guys would answer in that manner. I would rather "stick to it" than have to come up with all new routines every two or three months.

I didn't mean any offense to anyone, I just didn't understand the "Setting up a new blast"-type threads.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
          FNP,

There's no need to switch out exercises if you're still progressing. It would be a mistake (i.e., would slow progress) generally speaking for most folks, IMO.

-S
          Totally get this point! :-)

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
          Because they're wrong lol.

Pick 3 movements that work for you and allow long term, big progression. Then ride those exercises until you plateau. THEN you switch it out to something new. Obviously trying to pick another solid movement you think will work for you.

At the end of each blast you simply cruise and start over with new baselines. You may be tempted to look back but do not. Just set a new baseline for the new blast and go.

Example...

Incl bench
          200x17rp
          210x13rp
          210x16rp
          215x18rp
          Cruise
          210x17rp
          220x15rp
          230x11rp
          Cruise
          225x14rp
          235x10rp
          235x10rp (maybe a bad day. Try again)
          235x9rp (done. Switch it out now or cruise if time)

Prematurely switching exercises is from impatience. If there's a new exercise you want to try do it on a cruise week and feel it out nice and easy.

Edit- Scott snuck in while I was typing. Listen to him.
          Great example Adam. As i enter the final week of my 1st blast and get ready to cruise, I was thinking a lot about this exact same thing.
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I have a question on this line of reasoning too but I can't make a thread so I guess I'll just hijack this haha
            Am I supposed to be planning out the length of my blast in advance? Or do I wait until it feels like my CNS is taking a beating? Or I start to plateau in all my exercises?
            Basically when deciding how long to blast before transitioning to a cruise, should I feel it out or plan it beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by beetlewharf View Post
              I have a question on this line of reasoning too but I can't make a thread so I guess I'll just hijack this haha
              Am I supposed to be planning out the length of my blast in advance? Or do I wait until it feels like my CNS is taking a beating? Or I start to plateau in all my exercises?
              Basically when deciding how long to blast before transitioning to a cruise, should I feel it out or plan it beforehand?
              This has been discussed in depth, ad nauseum, so I refer you to the search function. Short answer is no, you typically do not plan the duration of a blast in advance.

Comment

Sorry my search function skills are pretty terrible
                Thanks for replying though

Comment

Originally posted by beetlewharf View Post
                  Sorry my search function skills are pretty terrible
                  Thanks for replying though
                  No more hijacking others threads....as far as search function skills, type in keywords into the search until you find what you need, it's quite simple actually. AND, read the stickies....they will answer alot of your questions without having to search.....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                  X