Need Help Setting Up Blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Setting Up Blast

...in light of injury. Trying to work around some pain in my SI Joint. Not sure what it is, exactly, gonna go to a chiro this week and possibly the next couple weeks to get adjusted accordingly.

The problem is, when I do squats and Deadlifts too close together, it flares up. I've gotta have both in my rotation. Additionally, if I do too much squatting for too long, it flares up. (Also, leg press EVENTUALLY kills my knees, I can't progress on it like squats, so I said hell with it).

My three quad lifts- (One is Non-DC day, to save the lower back)
    Squats/Squat WM
    Front squats/Back Squat WM
    Walking Lunges/Light leg press WM

Three Back thickness lifts
    Rack Deads
    DB row
    Machine Row

If you were me, would you just get rid of rack deads, or what? What order would you guys use? (I know this seems elementary, but I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious and gotta see what it is).
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

perhaps rethink having 2 back squat WM... If this is the order with which you are doing your exercises, it seems this would put them on M and F of the same week? Perhaps replace one back squat WM with Hacks or even Homon's Smith Sissy Hack?

Just a couple other ideas, if I am following correctly, it seems you may be doing Squats/Squat WM on say Monday, then Wed doing Rack Deads then Friday doing Front Squats/Back Squat WM? That seems like too much lower back involvement to me, but I could have your rotation off... How are you progressing on Front Squats?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
      perhaps rethink having 2 back squat WM... If this is the order with which you are doing your exercises, it seems this would put them on M and F of the same week? Perhaps replace one back squat WM with Hacks or even Homon's Smith Sissy Hack?

Just a couple other ideas, if I am following correctly, it seems you may be doing Squats/Squat WM on say Monday, then Wed doing Rack Deads then Friday doing Front Squats/Back Squat WM? That seems like too much lower back involvement to me, but I could have your rotation off... How are you progressing on Front Squats?
      Front squats are new to me, to be honest. I incorporated them to make my other squats better. I'm progressing just fine on them, but I think to give my legs an actual legit workout that day, I definitely need the back squat WM. I think I could get rid of it on the other day though, and maybe replace it with sissy hacks or even somersault squats.

Just seems like any way I think about it, my lower back is getting crunched somehow.

Comment

Maybe just rearranging the order then... If I am looking at it correctly it seems you have one of the following scenarios: I am using A for upper and B for lower:

A1: Rack Deads
        B1: Squat/Squat WM
        A2: DB Row

the next week
        B2: Front Squat/Squat WM
        A3: Machine Row
        B3: Walking Lunge/Leg Press WM

or

B1: Squat/Squat WM
        A1: Rack Dead
        B2: Front Squat/Squat WM

the next week
        A2: DB Row
        B3: Walking Lunge/Leg Press WM
        A3: Machine Row

Before I make any unnecessary suggestions, is either of these orders correct? I am just guessing based on the order in which you wrote out your exercises?

Comment

Coming from someone who has had extensive pain and several SI Joint injuries, IMO you would be better served eliminating any back thickness movements that put pressure on the joint. Leg movements such as squats never really killed it for me, as long as it was fairly healthy and my form was damn near perfect. But any unsupported back thickness movement for me if it's not 100% healthy mean disaster.....if it is an SI issue, and not a compression issue, I would say your leg movements are fine, although I wouldn't do still leg DL.....BUT, I would def drop the rack deads and any rows that aren't supported, until it is healthy.

I think the term they use for injury to the SI is "displaced". Mine has moved on me a few times, and honestly it is a debilitating injury that can take weeks, if not months to get even remotely better. Last time mine shifted I was in bed for the better part of a month.....don't mess with it. Get to the chiro and make sure you lift things properly....
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
            Before I make any unnecessary suggestions, is either of these orders correct? I am just guessing based on the order in which you wrote out your exercises?
            order is-

-DB Row
            -Squat/Squat
            -Machine Row

-Front Squat/Back Squat
            -Rack Deads
            -Lunges/Leg Press

My back (SI Joint) was fine going into the second leg day (Front squat)- After that day, it was kinda sore, but not TOO bad, then I tried to do rack deads, and it started hurting on the first set. Said screw it, so threw Lunges in today to keep my back out of it.

Pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
              Coming from someone who has had extensive pain and several SI Joint injuries, IMO you would be better served eliminating any back thickness movements that put pressure on the joint. Leg movements such as squats never really killed it for me, as long as it was fairly healthy and my form was damn near perfect. But any unsupported back thickness movement for me if it's not 100% healthy mean disaster.....if it is an SI issue, and not a compression issue, I would say your leg movements are fine, although I wouldn't do still leg DL.....BUT, I would def drop the rack deads and any rows that aren't supported, until it is healthy.

I think the term they use for injury to the SI is "displaced". Mine has moved on me a few times, and honestly it is a debilitating injury that can take weeks, if not months to get even remotely better. Last time mine shifted I was in bed for the better part of a month.....don't mess with it. Get to the chiro and make sure you lift things properly....
              Was thinking that too, Steel.

It just sucks cause I know Rack Deads are basically the missing link to my back. However, I know that squats are my LIFELINE on legs, and I guess I could still get my back semi-there without deads.

Comment

I have been able to keep my back growing and very rarely am I able to do any form if deads. I play with supported rows, with things such as hand placement and where I'm pulling to. I even made a bench for my Smith machine that I lie on and use the Smith. This things bombs my back like you wouldn't believe....

Sometimes I'm able to do unsupported rows, but after my last injury, I'm no longer gonna even try. Here are some things I do....

Hammer seated rows-all machines
                Incline bench dumbbell rows (one arm)
                My Smith bench rows
                Any chest supported plate loaded row
                I will even do seated cable rows, although its not a great DC exercise, when you are limited you do what you can.

I still do rack deads, but not too often. I have added them in this blast since my back is feeling ok now, but only time will tell how long they stay in....I do rack deads from right at the knee. This takes a little pressure off the low back, since you're not bent over as much....

Good luck with it.....
                STEEL

Comment

Have you tried Pendalay rows?

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                    order is-

-DB Row
                    -Squat/Squat
                    -Machine Row

-Front Squat/Back Squat
                    -Rack Deads
                    -Lunges/Leg Press

My back (SI Joint) was fine going into the second leg day (Front squat)- After that day, it was kinda sore, but not TOO bad, then I tried to do rack deads, and it started hurting on the first set. Said screw it, so threw Lunges in today to keep my back out of it.

Pisses me off.

Sorry to hear about your injury, I think Steel gives great advice. If you are set on keeping the same exercises in what about something like this:

Front Squat/Squat
                    Machine Row
                    Lunge/Leg Press

Rack Dead
                    Squat/Squat
                    DB Row

Perhaps the Front Squats are taxing your lower back more than the regular squats. I know when I tweaked my back, I couldn't do front squats for awhile. With this you would have the most time between Front Squats and Rack Deads, which I think are two pretty taxing low back movements.

Either way, good luck and hope everything clears up...

Comment

Thanks guys. Think I may ditch the Rack Deads, as I think the benefits of squat (muscle and hormone wise) outweigh the benefits of rack deads, currently.

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                        Have you tried Pendalay rows?
                        Can't do 'em.....anything where weight is out front with me bent over is a no go for me anymore....I even hafta make sure I'm extremely straight if I do shrugs....if I bend and it shifts, I am toast....lol
                        STEEL

Comment

I think my joint is worn out from years of carrying plywood on that side for work. I've probably carried thousands of sheets thru the years. Being right handed I always carried on that side.....just wear and tear that now has me tip toeing thru some workouts....lol
                          STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                            I think my joint is worn out from years of carrying plywood on that side for work. I've probably carried thousands of sheets thru the years. Being right handed I always carried on that side.....just wear and tear that now has me tip toeing thru some workouts....lol
                            Yeah but I bet you have stronger grip strength than anyone in the gym.

Got that MAN strength.

Thanks for the help, bro.

Comment

Hey dark rather than trying make a square peg in a round hole, why don't you scrap DC and do something that makes more sense?
                              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                              17 AAU Super Total
                              '16-AAU Hi
                              '15-USPA Metro
                              '15-USPA State
                              '15-AAU HI
                              '14-AAU HI
                              '14-USPA Metro
                              '14-WABDL Sonny's
                              '14-USPA State
                              '14-HI Strongman
                              '13-USPA