Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many reps after first rest pause?

Hey guys,

just a quick question: Are there any guidelines as to how many reps I should be able to perform after the first rest pause? Usually the examples given seem to be somewhat on the lines of, say, 10 reps - rest pause - 4-5 reps - rest pause - 2-3 reps.

But for me there are some exercises (e.g., incline DB presses) where it's more like 11 reps - rest pause - 1 rep - rest pause - 1 rep. Maybe it's because before starting DC, I did HIT-style training with single sets for years, so I'm used to giving everything and to not holding anything back.

Personally, I don't see a problem as long as I'm getting stronger each workout (and so far I am). Anybody think this might be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any input!

It's gonna vary a bit, but

In general:

Most guys see their reps decrease by half each mini set. This is a good way to plan blasts with rep ranges as well for yourself IMO.

Example: 11-15rp set. You get 8 reps on first, 4 on second, 2 on last. 14 reps.

This is also gonna depend on the exercise. The pin press for example is extremely hard to get moving, so it's not uncommon to see something like 10-3-1 or none for something like that.

Hope that helps.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
      It's gonna vary a bit, but

In general:

Most guys see their reps decrease by half each mini set. This is a good way to plan blasts with rep ranges as well for yourself IMO.

Example: 11-15rp set. You get 8 reps on first, 4 on second, 2 on last. 14 reps.

This is also gonna depend on the exercise. The pin press for example is extremely hard to get moving, so it's not uncommon to see something like 10-3-1 or none for something like that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help (again!) :-)

Comment

Yeah, my reps are usually about half each time, sometimes a rep or so less....it depends with me on my rep range sometimes. I try to keep my range between 20-30 on most exercises. Sometimes in the high rep range I may get 1-2 more than half. At times, my weaker bodyparts (chest for sure) seems to poop out rather quickly and I really struggle to hit half. I don't stress over it though. Failure is failure to me, and if I hit 10, and then fail at 3 and 1 it's still failure to me. As long as I get more reps or more weight next time.....
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

It is because you are starting your set out of the bottom position on your DB presses, combine that with the effort it takes to get the DBs into place and the result is less relative reps than a BB movement. Many do higher rep ranges on DBs for this reason (15+ on first set).

Comment

Mine depend on the lift. On most lifts my reps get cut in half each RP (ex. 10/5/3). Some lifts like weighted pull ups look more like (10/3/1). Anytime I find myself in an extreme range like 10/1/1, I add a few extra breaths in between sets until I build my conditioning up on that particular lift. Once I get better conditioned I start cutting back on the rest until that lift is on par with the others.
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

SkinnyMike hit it pretty good,

Bump up your rep ranges a bit...getting DB's ready/balanced can really zap your strength.

If you're doing 10-1-1 you'd be hardpressed to progress...15-4-2 on the other hand, you got some room.

If you switched over to like a hammer strength I'll bet my left nut you'd get like 10-3-1...much better for progression IMHO.
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess I'll use lighter DB's then. I'd love to try the Hammer Strength machine but I don't have access to one (hardly ever seen one here in Germany) and the machines they do have make my shoulders explode...

Comment

I challenge anyone that is taking each set to failure and only dropping half their reps in between to record a set (for yourself, not me...I ain't asking you to post it) and look at your rest period. I can bet you that you are at 45+ secs and prob over a min. I have done a ton of rp sets in my life and if I am getting say 11-12 reps then it will be 2 or MAYBE 3 THEN it will be 1 maybe 2. I've watched a ton of rp videos and in every one I have seen where the person is busting their ass and only dropping half their reps they are resting over a min....rest over a min and you are just doing 3 sets and not training rest pause.

Just take a sec and record yourself people....your rest period may surprise you.
                  Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                  Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                  Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                    I challenge anyone that is taking each set to failure and only dropping half their reps in between to record a set (for yourself, not me...I ain't asking you to post it) and look at your rest period. I can bet you that you are at 45+ secs and prob over a min. I have done a ton of rp sets in my life and if I am getting say 11-12 reps then it will be 2 or MAYBE 3 THEN it will be 1 maybe 2. I've watched a ton of rp videos and in every one I have seen where the person is busting their ass and only dropping half their reps they are resting over a min....rest over a min and you are just doing 3 sets and not training rest pause.

Just take a sec and record yourself people....your rest period may surprise you.

I've noticed this too. It's more 3 sets to failure with 1 minute rest.
                    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

I agree with this. I am by no means a DC expert, but I did run it for a few months before switching to powerlifting oriented goals. I timed my rest periods to exactly 30 seconds, which came out to roughly 15 breaths or so. After going to true muscular failure on the first set, I would never get half the reps on the next set. My incline BB press would be like 11-3-2 (sometimes 1). On DB shoulder press, I had to up my rep range big time because I literally would get zero reps on the 2nd rest paused set if I was strict with the 25-30 second rest period, but even with the higher rep range it was still no where near half. It would be like 17-5-3.

Then again, everyone is different.
                      Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Good point Dun. I highly agree. You don't know until you see yourself on video. The way I started doing things after a while was:

Rack weight, take TEN deep breaths and get back into position ready to go, and by the time 15 came around I was ready to go...made things easier than taking 15 and then setting up and going. Just how I did it though.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                        -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Yea man... A LOT of things can be.seen with just the occasional recording. Good and bad. I wish everyone that uses any substantially wts would record a set here and there. It's a great help when it comes to.rest pause, form, rep.speed, etc... I've been surprised both good and.bad before but its helped. I think I may start a thread on that subject!
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

Yea man... A LOT of things can be.seen with just the occasional recording. Good and bad. I wish everyone that uses any substantially wts would record a set here and there. It's a great help when it comes to.rest pause, form, rep.speed, etc... I've been surprised both good and.bad before but its helped. I think I may start a thread on that subject!
                            Hence why I record myself as much as I can...not only that, I post em up for people to critique and give feedback too! It's a big help.

And please, start that thread!

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                            -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Working...
                            X