Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeC87
    • Jun 2010

Modified 2 way? Good or Stupid?

Hey guys, I want to let you guys know my stats first of all. Been lifting almost 3 years now. Im 24 years old, before I got into fitness I was a really small scrawny dude and ate like total shit. Im 5'11, when I began I was a twig at 140lbs and not a good bf% I had absolutely no muscle. Now, Im sitting at 185lbs 10% bf checked in the bod pod.

My question is am I ready for the plain jane DC two way? I have done it before and I got good results for a while. Then I ended up switching to a push pull routine because I wasnt sure if I had enough meat on me yet to get the full benefit out of DC.

Now, if you guys still dont think I have enough mass for the two way, I kicked around the idea of throwing in pre exhaust sets for fun, kind of like a mike mentzer routine mixed with DC.

ex.

Chest: Dumbell fly 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly Do hammer strength flat press (4-6 reps to failure)
    15 breath RP
    Keep weights the same and do 1 more set of each till failure just like prescribed before.
    Record scores, kill log book next time

Shoulders
    Lateral raise 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly Do hammer strength shoulder press (4-6 reps to failure)
    15 breath RP
    Keep weights the same and do 1 more set of each till failure just like prescribed before.

Tris
    Skull Crusher (8-12 reps to failure), Immediatly Do Close Grip Bench Press (4-6 reps to failure)
    15 breath RP

BW
    Dumbell Pull over (8-12 reps to failure), Immediatly Do lat pull down (4-6 reps to failure)
    15 breath RP

BT
    Deadlift or T Bar row Straight setted, I don't really think pre exhaust would be a good idea for Back thickness

This would be an example work out of A1

What do you guys think? worth while trying or totally retarded? I would structure the rest of the work outs just like DC with the 2way MWF split.
  • DOHCrazy
    Lightweight Member
    • Jan 2011

If you have to ask, you probably aren't ready

Comment

• DOHCrazy
      Lightweight Member
      • Jan 2011

Train however you want, just don't call it DC.

Comment

• Lock it Up
        Intense Muscle Competitor
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DOHCrazy
        If you have to ask, you probably aren't ready
        Train however you want, just don't call it DC.
        The only answers you need, OP.

You don't need DC yet. Read all you can here on IM and learn and learn and learn some more. Come back when you no longer describe yourself as a scrawny guy.

Welcome to IM. You'll find great information here, and a community willing to help. The dogg Pound is not newbie friendly. Post next time in the pound puppy section. In fact, I have moved the thread to that very section.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
        -1st Heavyweight Gi
        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

• MikeC87
          • Jun 2010

Yeah I know where you guys are coming from LOL and trust me Im not calling this DC I have read plenty of posts on here to know how anal you guys are about calling things DC. However, I don't need someone telling me that at the same time. Only a total dumbass would call that routine I just came up with DC. That's like saying you want a pepperoni pizza, but hold the pepperoni, its not really a pepperoni pizza then anymore... just slightly modified.

Anyways, now that we got through that.

Im looking for constructive comments.

Mainly is this over training in anyones mind? Or have any of you tried anything similar and got results. Im looking for more strength and size of course and like a fun, fast, intense and challenging work out. If your wondering how my B1 day would look it might be something like this.

Eventhough im calling it B1 its not DC. Lets just refer to this as my plan to get jacked.

Quads
          Leg extension 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly do hack squat machine (4-6 reps to failure)
          15 breath RP

Bis
          Incline Bench Seated Hammer Curl Dumbell Curl 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly do Barbell Cheat Curl (4-6 reps to failure)
          15 breath RP

Hams
          Lying Leg curl (8-12 reps to failure), Immediatly do Sumo Leg Press (major emphasis on pressing with heels, feet high wide to hit glutes and hams harder.
          15 breath RP

Calfs
          I planned on switching up Machines, using the tempo 5 seconds down, hold stretched position for 10, explode up. 1 straight set 8-12 reps

I like doing intense work outs and enjoy killing it so thats why I came up with this.

Comment

• DOHCrazy
            Lightweight Member
            • Jan 2011

So, instead of doing one of the numerous plans that have been 'proven' to work, you're making your own?

How do we know if it will work for you? How do we know if you'll get over trained using this method?

Wouldn't trying it be the best thing to figure out if it works for you?

Why make it this complicated?

Comment

• darkguitars2000
              Light-heavyweight Member
              • Dec 2008

I think it looks like a little more volume than I would advocate in a program.

The reason I say this, is I think by having two exercises back to back, you're setting yourself up for less intensity, in one way or another.

Is the rotation the same as DC?

In other words is it- A1, B1, A2, B2, and so forth?
              TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

• MikeC87
                • Jun 2010

rotation is the same as DC yes

I like the DC rotation, alot. Min maxing is a smart idea imo

Comment

• darkguitars2000
                  Light-heavyweight Member
                  • Dec 2008

If that's the case, I would personally advocate-

Two straight sets to failure of the same exercise (Not rest paused)

Or, warm up and do - 1 set to failure of one exercise and then
                  1 set to failure of another exercise.

Just my two cents. From training people I think that you may have a hard time gauging progress with the setup you've got (In terms of beating the log book, etc).
                  TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

• TLopez
                    Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013
                    • Sep 2010

What do you want to hear from these guys like DOHCrazy and LockItUp? The DC program is spelled out for everyone in the stickies, no information is hidden.
                    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

• MikeC87
                      • Jun 2010

Awesome Dark Guitars that was the kind of post I was looking for.

And that was kind of Mentzers Mentality too, I read somewhere that after doing 1 set to failure of an exercise he considered doing more actually taking steps backwards.

The reason why I added the 2nd sets was to get more volume, but it may be too much like you said.

Anymore constructive criticism is welcome guys, I'm pretty much doing an active rest this week and plan to try this routine and log it next week.

Comment

• Lock it Up
                        • Mar 2008

So, instead of doing one of the numerous plans that have been 'proven' to work, you're making your own?

How do we know if it will work for you? How do we know if you'll get over trained using this method?

Wouldn't trying it be the best thing to figure out if it works for you?

Why make it this complicated?
                        THIS. If you are new to the sport, then making up your own routine is gonna lead to you hopping from one thing to another. However, if you do decide to start a plan and stick to it FOR A LONG ASS TIME (Talking many months to years here, not weeks) and are progressing...you will grow as long as your nutrition is on point.

My advice? Get on a 5x5 or any other template that has you doing heavy, compound movements at every session, focused on the big 3, and adds in some accessory work. Work on dialing in your diet more than your training scheme....trust me on this one, it's far more important when it's all said and done.

Ok, now that I have that out, I will put some input into your program. Give me just a sec....NOW, please take into account this is just how I would modify what you proposed...I am not saying this plan will work for you, but IMO it's better than what you had written up.

Further, take note when I say failure, I MEAN FAILURE. This is a huge reason why ADVANCED TRAINEES should do DC. Most people have no clue what intensity is or their own failure points. IT TAKES TIME TO DEVELOP THAT.

IMO, at your level of development, you will grow doing ANYTHING that revolves around big, heavy movements, and you are eating enough. THAT IS WHY, I say to pick a PROVEN program so you can allow yourself to run it into the ground. But you have the right idea...constant progression!

Bottom line, where you are at right now, anything is gonna work granted your nutrition is on point and you are busting your ass beating your log in the gym.

Quads
                        Leg extension 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly do hack squat machine (4-6 reps to failure)

Fuck the leg extensions. Do a set of 10-15 on the hack to failure, and follow it up with another set of lower reps to failure again.

Bis
                        Incline Bench Seated Hammer Curl Dumbell Curl 8-12 reps to failure, Immediatly do Barbell Cheat Curl (4-6 reps to failure)
                        15 breath RP

Instead, do a movement where more weight can be moved. Maybe standing DB's. Do 8-12 reps to failure, and then another set to failure with perhaps the same reps or higher reps.

Hams
                        Lying Leg curl (8-12 reps to failure), Immediatly do Sumo Leg Press (major emphasis on pressing with heels, feet high wide to hit glutes and hams harder.
                        15 breath RP

Again, ditch the isolation movement and do something like stiff legs, ghrs, good morning ETC. SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU USE THE MOST WEIGHT!

Calfs
                        I planned on switching up Machines, using the tempo 5 seconds down, hold stretched position for 10, explode up. 1 straight set 8-12 reps
                        I'm in red^. I'll be more than happy to expand more and help, but I think you get the general idea of what I am prescribing here.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                        -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

• lhart6272
                          Heavyweight Member
                          • May 2007

I would say pre exhaust techniques are for advanced guys. If you want to make your own program go for it, start a journal and see how it goes. What I would do is this week research the fullbody 5x5 programs, Jim Wendlers 5-3-1, ws4sb. Pick one you like and ride it until the wheels fall off. Dont overthink it god knows I have and wasted lots of time. Lift progressivly heavier weigths and eat. Its actually so simple it boggles the over anylitical mind.
                          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
                          -John Ceasar

Comment

• MikeC87
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by TLopez
                            What do you want to hear from these guys like DOHCrazy and LockItUp? The DC program is spelled out for everyone in the stickies, no information is hidden.
                            I'm not really looking for spoon fed answers. Im just looking for constructive criticism on this routine.

I'm a trainer myself at a local gym
                            Im ACE, ISSA, and NASM certified and like to think outside the box that's where this is coming from.

I know a lot of you guys are trainers yourself and have tried all sorts of things also. I know a lot of you have a good head on your shoulders so I'm have you guys check out the style of this routine. Ever had anyone proof read your term papers before? Sometimes they can catch mistakes you might not see.

Comment

• Lock it Up
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by TLopez
                              LOL. I totally agree T, but I feel this compulsion to give advice where I can. It's just my nature, unfortunately for me sometimes

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Working...