Deadstop (Bottom up) Military press; Incline Bench, etc,etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadstop (Bottom up) Military press; Incline Bench, etc,etc

I'm drafting my next blast and I was running into a little bit trouble with my exercise selection. Basically, I already know which exercises will be the ones where I'll stall first or run into trouble, although I'm trying out higher rep ranges and using more straigth sets for other exercises and such, but, to be better prepared I planned on writing down other variations of certain exercises so I would know what I could replace with what and etc...

Thinking of ways to makes exercises harder, I found some vids were Dave Tate starts certain movements from the bottom position, or rests the bar on the safety pins for a few secs after each rep. I already to this for Military Presses and it's one of the exercises in my next blast, however I'm wondering about the effectiveness of applying these principles to Incline bench, close-grip bench and etc.

I'm unsure if this is either a great idea or a dangerous thing to do, deadstops works great for back work, thickness in special, but I've never tried out this with presses.

Any thoughts ?

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wJ0B055xrc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnKXj...el_video_title
    Last edited by 0001Delta; 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Delta, read through my journal. Poliquin presses (dead stop/pin press) were a staple in a lot of my blasts...and I still use them. A truly great and underutilized exercise IMO for increasing overall pressing power, especially if you are weakest at lockout, and not off the shoulders/chest.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Thanks for answering man, gonna check out your log.

I'm currently using military pin presses right after regular military presses, it's absolutely brutal.

I remember someone asked Josh Bryant on elitefts QaA about bottom-up bench presses, I think he said one shouln't try to go too heavy on those for safety reason, bringing up my concern if all kinds of deadstop chest presses are a good idea to add in a blast. Im gonna try out deadstop inclines next chest day and see if they're worth it.
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I'm a big fan of movements like you are suggesting. The only issue I see putting them in a DC split is that, if you are rest-pausing, you might find it impossible to start your third "Set".

But, hey, try it out.
        "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post
          I'm a big fan of movements like you are suggesting. The only issue I see putting them in a DC split is that, if you are rest-pausing, you might find it impossible to start your third "Set".

But, hey, try it out.
          Yep, it gets really hard, Phil is right.

I have a video still up I think of me doing them rp'd and it looks rough. Because it is! Very humbling exercise.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
          -1st SuperHeavy Gi
          2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
          -1st Heavyweight Gi
          2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
          2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

I didn't actually plan on using these movements rest-paused, 1x8-12ss and 1-6-8ss, and that's actually what I wrote for the pin press mp. I'm considering these just as "back up" exercises in case I stall somewhere.

For chest my main movements will decline bench, reverse-grip bench both 12-20rp and low incline wide-grip press. The regular incline bench is too taxing on my shoulders, plus the bench at my gym sucks, hence the low-incline at the power rack. Incline is generally the first thing to stall for me, it has been that way every DC blast i did in the past ( although I'm trying out 15-30 or 20-30rp this time ). I like to have a back-up plan so I don't have to try out different exercises mid blast to see what is the best bang for my buck replacement exercise.

Comment

Both BB/DB Floor Press comes to mine. Pause at bottom.

Comment

a question... how do you know which exs are gonna stall out first?? this is a serious question.
                Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                  a question... how do you know which exs are gonna stall out first?? this is a serious question.
                  I know which exercises I'll have trouble just by looking at which ones I stalled first on previous blasts.

Incline and close-grip presses are generally the first movements I'll stall, no matter what training style I'm on, so I just take note of that and pay close attention on how I wanna set-up rep ranges for these movements.

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                    I know which exercises I'll have trouble just by looking at which ones I stalled first on previous blasts.

Incline and close-grip presses are generally the first movements I'll stall, no matter what training style I'm on, so I just take note of that and pay close attention on how I wanna set-up rep ranges for these movements.
                    point of the question is that exs are supposed to be changed often. if you stall out on them...drop them.
                    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                    Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                    X