Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a diet newb, heading in the right direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a diet newb, heading in the right direction?

so stats
    6'5"
    weight: 97kg
    18% body fat, 17kg
    lean mass - 80kg

ok, hope that makes sense.
    im looking to get to 10% body fat, by then i hope i will have learnt enough about how my body reacts to certain foods and volumes of food, so that i can begin a more lean bulk approach.

so iv been keeping track of calories for this week. iv been around 2000-2500kcal a day. and no weight loss.

on average:
    protein has been 300g.
    fat around - 70-90g
    carbs - 100-150g

training is 5/3/1 - 4 days a week, 2 days of hiit and ab work. 1 day of no exercise.

weight training days: im not really a breakfast person, i tend to get a shake with added bcaa and some fish oil caps around 11, then lunch around 1 (meat and veg with fish oil caps), some tinned fish a bit later, pre workout shake is carbs and protein (instant oats added), and post workout shake is the same, dinner is meat and veg. then either a shake or some cottage cheese before bed.

on hiit days: i take the post wo shake out, and remove the instant oats from the pre, i also take a water with bcaa's in to sip during the hiit session.

i know thats a lot of liquid meals roughly half my cals come from shakes. but times are hard, saving for a mortgage is taking priority over spending money on lots of food :/

this is my first time trying to really look at my diet. so i know i will be making lots of mistakes.
    i have around 17lbs to lose to get to 10%, i was looking at losing 2lbs a week, so in a perfect world thats 6 weeks, i know thats not the case, iv set myself a goal of achieving 10% in 12 weeks.

any pointers to help me get this fat loss ball rolling?

thinking of keeping cals the same but adding more cardio.
    i was thinking either:
    • a couple rounds of a barbell complex after 2 weight sessions
    • 2 shorter hiit sessions after 2 weights sessions
    • early morning cardio (whats best to do for this? baring in mind my time is limited, so 30mins is about all i have to spare in the morning, so no time to get to a gym and no home cardio equipment)

also, any obvious mistakes with my diet?( i imagine theres plenty)

hope this post is'nt too annoying to read and any help is really appreciated.
    Last edited by height_11; 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM. Reason: i cant spell.....

Adding the cardio is a good idea.

BECOME a breakfast person. It likely is holding your metabolism back.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

holy crap, i was not expecting a reply from you!
      really appreciate the advice.

which form of cardio should i add, personally what would work easier for me is adding something after my weights sessions, but then you hear so many people saying thats a bad idea, but then other people saying just get the cardio in and it doesnt matter when.

also, is LISS going to work for me(mostly a rhetorical question), i have it in my head that LISS will only work for individuals with exeptionally good nutrition and individuals who's nutrition is not quite up to scratch would benefit more from more intense cardio. is there any truth to this?

Comment

just realised i could go for a 40min walk in my lunch hour most days. is this recommended?

Comment

I never liked post workout cardio. AM always treated me best and I can feel the difference in my metabolism. I have done prowler pushes/hill sprints and also slow steady state. I prefer the slow steady state as it doesn't beat my legs up as much.
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            I never liked post workout cardio. AM always treated me best and I can feel the difference in my metabolism. I have done prowler pushes/hill sprints and also slow steady state. I prefer the slow steady state as it doesn't beat my legs up as much.
            X2....last thing you need while dieting is beat up legs that won't recover. If this is your first time really dieting down, you prob don't know what type of workload your legs are gonna be able to handle.....
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              Adding the cardio is a good idea.

BECOME a breakfast person. It likely is holding your metabolism back.

Skip
              Why would you say that? With all of the success of folks on programs like LeanGains, it seems to demonstrate to a large degree that total caloric intake is much more important towards weight loss than the timing of those calories, per se.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldStrike View Post
                Why would you say that? With all of the success of folks on programs like LeanGains, it seems to demonstrate to a large degree that total caloric intake is much more important towards weight loss than the timing of those calories, per se.
                Then why not just eat one huge meal an get it over with?? I think I will stick with Skip on this one...

Comment

Wrong.

"Then why not just eat one huge meal an get it over with?? I think I will stick with Skip on this one...

Exactly.

Comment

LOL

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with Skip about the breakfast and cardio. But, another approach that you might want to try is to wear a pedometer. This might sound silly,but if you think about it you really have no idea what your activity level is from day to day. When i get ready for a show now i start by monitoring how many steps i do in a day. I start off by aiming for 10,000 and go from there. What i realized when i started this is how lazy i was so i started taking stairs and just not sitting adound so much. I eventually bumped this to 15,000. As long as i was aware of my steps i easily made my goal. Of course you cant bump this up forever so at some point cardio is necessary, but this got me to 6% bf at 10 weeks out before i had to add any. Now I'm not saying that you will get to 6% doing this, but it might not be a bad place to start. I like this approach because your comparing apples to apples. It also keeps me cognizant of what im doing. A side benefit is that you end up being more productive. When's the last time the girlfriend or wife asked you to vacuum and you were happy to do it...lol.

Seriously though, I don't have anything against other regular cardio, I've just become partial to this for the above reasons.
                      Last edited by Doberman; 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

He would say that because he makes his living knowing what works and what doesn't.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                        -1st Heavyweight Gi
                        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Then you feel free to stick to the program that you believe works. All I did was give the guy advice based on what I believe and what I believe is obviously not what you believe.

I am not above explaining myself but I just got done with a typical 3 .5 hours of client work on a Saturday night explaining things to clients and saw the kid's thread and figured I would respond.

He can take my advice or leave it. I'm cool either way. REALLY cool.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thank you. lol

I love new board members but I regret not having more time to post on the open board these days for this reason. I post and I swear some people are like "who the fuck is this cat?"

Skip
                            Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                            He would say that because he makes his living knowing what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Don't kid yourself, there is damned sure a diet like this somewhere on the internet and it is getting rave reviews.

Skip
                              Originally posted by dakota1981 View Post
                              Wrong.

"Then why not just eat one huge meal an get it over with?? I think I will stick with Skip on this one...

Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X