No announcement yet.

bmr and the harris benedict equation...i have to eat 4000kcal to lose weight :S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmr and the harris benedict equation...i have to eat 4000kcal to lose weight :S

so according to that formula my calorie intake needs to be 5000kcal a day. i have never eaten that many calories a day yet iv definitely added size.
    im now looking to get leaner. so according to that formula (and cutting 1000kcal for weight loss) i need to eat 4000kcal.

4000kcal on a cut seems very high. i was thinking more like 2500 :S very confused!

im 213lbs, 18% body fat.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

ignore this, just found a different version of the formula where my calorie intake was 3530 which sounds about right, so cutting that by 1000 takes it to 2530. which definitely looks a lot better.

Comment

As someone pursuing a PhD in exercise physiology, let me tell you one simple thing:

Most of the established "equations" of changing body composition, are designed to make a sedentary, out of shape, average joe a healthier, happier individual. They are not expressions of how to become "shredded". Do not take them 100% to heart if you are looking to truly transform your body.

I am not Homonuculus, and I am still a student, but what I have applied to my own nutrition and training, very rarely relates to what is taught in exercise "education". Human Physiology textbooks are far more useful, IMO.

But as a disclaimer, information found in most guides on how to calculate "needs" work pretty well for those looking to just be healthier. I'll give it that.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
      -1st SuperHeavy Gi
      2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
      -1st Heavyweight Gi
      2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
      2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
        As someone pursuing a PhD in exercise physiology, let me tell you one simple thing:

Most of the established "equations" of changing body composition, are designed to make a sedentary, out of shape, average joe a healthier, happier individual. They are not expressions of how to become "shredded". Do not take them 100% to heart if you are looking to truly transform your body.

I am not Homonuculus, and I am still a student, but what I have applied to my own nutrition and training, very rarely relates to what is taught in exercise "education". Human Physiology textbooks are far more useful, IMO.

But as a disclaimer, information found in most guides on how to calculate "needs" work pretty well for those looking to just be healthier. I'll give it that.
        As someone pursuing a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, let me tell you one simple thing: Any equation estimating the amount of energy consumed by the human body (in order to find how much energy you would have to consume to break even) would be so phenomenally complicated you couldn't fit it in a book the thickness of The Lord of the Rings, let alone on a webpage.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          As someone pursuing a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, let me tell you one simple thing: Any equation estimating the amount of energy consumed by the human body (in order to find how much energy you would have to consume to break even) would be so phenomenally complicated you couldn't fit it in a book the thickness of The Lord of the Rings, let alone on a webpage.
          This too. Thermodynamics. Open system, closed system. Way to complicated to have a sufficient answer after a one second google search. Totally Agree with you there.

While on the subject, and not to try to derail the thread, Sammich, I have a question. I was recently told by someone in discussion, who I feel has a really good grasp on the subject (at least a much better one than I do, because I have maybe a pinky hold), that "If you claim to understand quantum physics, than you don't." Is that statement accurate on any level, in your opinion? Is that field just something the human mind can't quite grasp yet, with our current ways of thinking and logic? This is purely a question for entertainment...it has nothing to do with anything directly. Just something that has been bugging me for a while now, for whatever reason.

I'll stop this train of thinking immediately after your response, and let the thread continue it's discussion. I just wanted an input from someone else knowledgeable. Physics to me = mindblowing.

:focus:

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
          -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
            This too. Thermodynamics. Open system, closed system. Way to complicated to have a sufficient answer after a one second google search. Totally Agree with you there.

While on the subject, and not to try to derail the thread, Sammich, I have a question. I was recently told by someone in discussion, who I feel has a really good grasp on the subject (at least a much better one than I do, because I have maybe a pinky hold), that "If you claim to understand quantum physics, than you don't." Is that statement accurate on any level, in your opinion? Is that field just something the human mind can't quite grasp yet, with our current ways of thinking and logic? This is purely a question for entertainment...it has nothing to do with anything directly. Just something that has been bugging me for a while now, for whatever reason.

I'll stop this train of thinking immediately after your response, and let the thread continue it's discussion. I just wanted an input from someone else knowledgeable. Physics to me = mindblowing.

:focus:
            They were paraphrasing this exchange:
            Niels Bohr: "If you are not confused by quantum physics then you haven't really understood it."
            Richard Feynman: "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."

People can do quantum mechanics, but the problem is that the implications it has about the universe and the way things actually work are so counter-intuitive and strange that no one really knows what to make of them.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by height_11 View Post
              ignore this, just found a different version of the formula where my calorie intake was 3530 which sounds about right, so cutting that by 1000 takes it to 2530. which definitely looks a lot better.
              If you have been following any type of meal plan the answer should be somewhat obvious. If you are tracking what you are eating and you are not really gaining or losing, go from there and adjust accordingly, specific to your goals.... Like Lock said, most of the formulas are just that, formulas. There are many variables that are different from person to person. You could use a cookie cutter approach to start maybe, but you're more than likely gonna need to change things rather quickly as progress, if any, stalls....
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                They were paraphrasing this exchange:
                Niels Bohr: "If you are not confused by quantum physics then you haven't really understood it."
                Richard Feynman: "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."

People can do quantum mechanics, but the problem is that the implications it has about the universe and the way things actually work are so counter-intuitive and strange that no one really knows what to make of them.
                I get ya. The more I read on the subject, the more amazed I am at the fact that people can even comprehend any of it to make ANYTHING useful out of it. Very interesting stuff.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Speaking as someone in their final year of a bsc, some of the concepts of quantum mechanics are just ridiculous! If you're looking to read up, I'd really Reccomend anything by feynmann, hes and excellent teacher

Comment

Working...
                  X