Hesitant but posting due to recommendations from another DC user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitant but posting due to recommendations from another DC user

I've trained seriously for 3 years now and am planning to reach my goal naturally for life. If all goes well, I may decide to compete in a natural bodybuilding competition in a few years. Before I would only consider protein, multi, and fish oil as supplements, eventually started taking creatine, and after recent research, have decided to buy beta alanine, l-tyrosine, acetyl l-carnitine, and citrulline malate. I've recently plateaued at db bench press 80 lb in each hand for 8 reps, bb bench press 205 for 5 reps, standing shoulder press 135 for 5 reps, db shoulder press 70 lb in each hand for 6 reps, deadlift 265 for 5 reps, 265 squat for 5 reps, incline bench press 75 lb in each hand for 6 reps, and incline bb press 155 for 7 reps. I'm 160 lb at 11-12% bf, I think, due to the fact I can see a little ab definition with some leg definition when I flex. I'm running a deload now and trying my best to pound up the weights and break past the plateau. So for right now, I'm determining what program I should run: Lyle's bulking routine, Matt Perryman's APRE for size and strength, and a program I've made up that will consist of me training six days a week training each bodypart twice, training two bodyparts per workout, and using only two exercises per bodypart while taking every set to concentric muscular failure. I used to stop before failure, but after training more serious as the months go by, I won't stop squatting until that bar hits the rack and I can't get it up.

I don't know the real poster's name or even his user name on here, but he posted on bodybuilding.com when a thread entailed that a natural should train each bodypart twice per week. He said that a workout should consist of very minimal sets, but maximum intensity: train hard then get out. I then PMed him in which we began our conversations. He told me that training to failure on every set at 12 sets a workout split at upper/lower 2x per week was a bit much. He then told me that DC training 1 set to failure per exercise was enough at twice per week. So at his advice telling me that I'm now ready, I'm asking you guys if I'm ready. If I am, I will say I've spent the last two days reading up on DC training and the various threads on here. I will probably start training once I hit the second plateau and converse with him about anything else I should know apart from the stickies. Thanks to anyone who replies, and I would be very surprised if Dante himself posts in this thread.

Short answer: You're not ready.

Comment

Just as I thought. I know he said I was since I told him this is the second time I've plateaued during the whole time I've been training. Looks like I need to boost up strength up a bit more before returning.

Comment

You'll get more answers with a formatted post. Most people are seeing that block of text and hitting Back on their browser.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
          You'll get more answers with a formatted post. Most people are seeing that block of text and hitting Back on their browser.
          Truth

Comment

Originally posted by vcjha View Post
            Just as I thought. I know he said I was since I told him this is the second time I've plateaued during the whole time I've been training. Looks like I need to boost up strength up a bit more before returning.
            Umm, you're not going to be ready for DC for a loooooooong time. :mmph:
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

What type of training are you doing at the moment? That could help us to better determine what might be causing your current plateau. It could either be too much volume, too little intensity, not a high enough frequency of training...etc. It really depends on what you are doing at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by davidb View Post
                What type of training are you doing at the moment? That could help us to better determine what might be causing your current plateau. It could either be too much volume, too little intensity, not a high enough frequency of training...etc. It really depends on what you are doing at the moment.
                Monday
                Squats - 3 x 25 goal reps
                Still Leg Deadlift - 2 x 20 goal reps (or Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8-10 reps)
                Calves
                Dumbbell Curl - 3 x 25 goal reps (or chin ups - palms towards face - 3 x Max)
                Abs

Tuesday
                Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
                Barbell Rows/Dumbbell Rows - 3 x 20 goal reps
                Arnold Dumbbell Press or Seated DB Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
                Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps

Thursday

Squats - 1 x 20
                Calves
                Barbell Curl - 3 x 25 goal reps (or chin ups - palms towards face - 3 x Max)

Friday
                Deadlift - 3 x 15 goal reps
                Incline BP or Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 x 20 goal reps
                Pull Ups - 3 x Max Reps
                Seated or Standing Overhead Press Variation - 3 x 20 goal reps
                Dips - 3 x Max Reps

That's the routine I've been doing. I do have to admit I found out a bit late I didn't do the plan as written. I would do Tuesday's workout for Friday's workout except I would deadlift as the first exercise both Tuesday and Friday. In other words, I've been deadlifting twice per week. That also means I've only done incline bench press, pull-ups, and dips 3 times in the past 6 weeks. Horrible I know, but I thought if I did the lifts more often, my deadlift should be pretty strong by now along with my flat bench press.

Comment

Look into Rippetoe or Starr 5x5.....it works wonders
                  The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

- Henry Rollins-

Comment

I don't know what all the goal reps business means. But it seems as if you're both over complicating things and overtraining a little bit.

I don't have first hand experience with the 5x5 variants but many guys have had great success. I would recommend you look into one of those or 5/3/1 and run it as laid out for 1-2 years while eating your face off. I think you'll burst through those plateaus and be pleasantly surprised.
                    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Read, read and then read some more. There is an abundance of information from very experienced gentlemen on this board.
                      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

I forgot to do this but thank to everyone who replied in here; really means a lot. And merry Christmas to everyone. I haven't got a lot of sleep lately so I'll reply back to every post after I t
                        ake a nap.

Comment

A cpl things...
                          One is you can't take part of a program...do it as you please and say you are doing the program. Either you are or you are not. You are talking about training and doing one rest pause set per ex, NOT DC training. Now I don't train DC even though there are plenty of similarities to DC in how I train, I don't call what I do DC cause to me that is almost disrespectful.

As far as being 'ready for DC' (if you decides to REALLY train DC) IDK....but there are plenty here with logs that train DC that the OP is stronger than pound for pound.... Now I don't think he really needs to train DC or any real low volume high intensity training style... But I also am not saying he can't gain on DC. SOME people, even at an early stage, have the ability to generate the intensity needed for a low volume program to really be as successful as it can be... And others could be big and strong but never be able to handle a low volume high intensity program. Plenty of the people that tell people that they ain't ready will post in journals of others that are not pound for pound as strong as the OP and encourage them and tell them what I great job their doing.
                          I think the OP is way over thinking things. Train 3-4 days a week, bust your ass and get out in under an hour. If he MUST follow a program I would tell the OP to search max-ot or lee labradas routine and just see which one he likes more.
                          Oh and to the OP, bro...you are hitting your lower back hard every day you train on that schedule. You are asking to over train and eventually hurt yourself. Don't do work outs that include exs like squats, deads, BB rows, hypers, glute ham raises, etc... Without 2 days in between each workout.....minimum.
                          I know the times I have started to over train my back all my gains grind to a halt, your back is involved in everything you do so it needs REST.

PEACE and good luck.
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

A few mentioned already but tryout 5x5, SS, 5/3/1 which are all very newbie friendly. Save DC training for when you are truly experienced and can handle it. That way, you can reap the most reward.

Comment

I will echo what others have said. It looks like you have a fairly complicated program that might be confusing you. Like suggested, go to a simple program like Starr's 5X5. I think you need to build a platform for yourself on the simple compound lifts. A simple program with lower volume will force you to learn to maximize every rep you do.

Also focus on your technique. Learn powerlifting techniques if you aren't already using them. Learn to target the muscle. Sometimes when reaching plateaus, learning to target the muscle more can actually help you gain even though based on reps you have plateaued.

So basically change it up to a simple routine, focus on technique, focus on intensity, and learn to target the muscle.

Lifting is very much about concentration!

Comment

Working...
                              X