Rowing movements is it one SS or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowing movements is it one SS or two?

I saw in the sticky that Dante wrote for back thickness exercises like deads and rack deads you do 1 heavy ss and one lighter ss like quad exercises.

he also had barbell rows in there but one SS.

I have seen in others logs using the deadlift/quad method of two sets one heavy and one back off, just trying to understand when I do a rowing movement which to follow.

Thanks

Usually it is done with one heavy set (6-8 reps) and then one lighter set (12 reps), but people will also do the reverse. I prefer the heavy set and then the lighter set as I feel that lighter set so much better after hitting the heavy set. Don't confuse this with the quad protocol. This is different than on squats where you do a heavy set, and then a lighter weight and do a "widow maker" aka a 20 rep breathing squat.
    Last edited by Doberman; 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM. Reason: fixed wording
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
      Usually it is done with one heavy set (6-8 reps) and then one lighter set (12 reps), but people will also do the reverse. I prefer the heavy set and then the lighter set as I feel that lighter set so much better after hitting the heavy set. Don't confuse this with the quad protocol. This is different than on squats where you do a heavy set, and then a lighter weight and a "widow maker" or 20 rep breathing squat.
      ok thank you, was just confused because I saw in the sticky the Tbar row was one strait set

Comment

Usually it is done with one heavy set (6-8 reps) and then one lighter set (12 reps), but people will also do the reverse. I prefer the heavy set and then the lighter set as I feel that lighter set so much better after hitting the heavy set. Don't confuse this with the quad protocol. This is different than on squats where you do a heavy set, and then a lighter weight and a "widow maker" or 20 rep breathing squat.
        I thought it was 1 heavy set and a WM for quads.

Comment

Originally posted by dcwannabee View Post
          That's what I meant. My bad. It should have read do a heavy set (6-8) then lighten the weight and do your "widow maker".
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I don't want to confuse anyone new to DC, but...

Yes, you are correct, one heavy set, one widow maker...

BUT, for the advanced trainee (TALKING SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO BREAK THROUGH ANOTHER WEIGHTCLASS, OR SOMEONE WITH SUPER OVERPOWERING UPPERBODY) Dante does reccomend a heavy, a heavier, then a widow for lagging quads. THIS IS NOT TO CONFUSE ANYONE THOUGH. IF YOU ARE DOING DC BY THE BOOK IT IS ONE HEAVY SET, FOLLOWED BY THE WIDOW.

Just to clarify, because I see that some guys new here get confused sometimes

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
            -1st Heavyweight Gi
            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

the reason for not rp the rows is safety but You can RP chest supported rows or machine rows.
              "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
              J.M.

Comment

I don't want to confuse anyone new to DC, but...

Yes, you are correct, one heavy set, one widow maker...

BUT, for the advanced trainee (TALKING SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO BREAK THROUGH ANOTHER WEIGHTCLASS, OR SOMEONE WITH SUPER OVERPOWERING UPPERBODY) Dante does reccomend a heavy, a heavier, then a widow for lagging quads. THIS IS NOT TO CONFUSE ANYONE THOUGH. IF YOU ARE DOING DC BY THE BOOK IT IS ONE HEAVY SET, FOLLOWED BY THE WIDOW.

Just to clarify, because I see that some guys new here get confused sometimes
                Hi Lock
                Does Dante also recommend this for people on the 2 way split.

Comment

Hi Lock
                  Does Dante also recommend this for people on the 2 way split.
                  I did three sets on the two way for over a year with great success. I am pretty sure Dante gives a thumbs up for both three way and two way, but I can't find the post at the moment. If you search all of Dante's posts and look for it you may be able to come across it.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                  -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                  2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                  -1st Heavyweight Gi
                  2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                  2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

I did three sets on the two way for over a year with great success. I am pretty sure Dante gives a thumbs up for both three way and two way, but I can't find the post at the moment. If you search all of Dante's posts and look for it you may be able to come across it.
                    Thanks
                    I have thought about doing that extra set for a long time now, and think I will give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                    X