adductor squeezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adductor squeezes

I have been doing the adductor machine for quite some time now, and it is impossible for me to add more weight to the machine. So I am looking for an alternative.
    Maybe this Gironda exercise could be the solution.
    http://www.ironguru.com/vince-girond...ulley-squeezes
    What are your thoughts on this? Could it work with DC training.

IMO, no this is not something to be used with DC. Progression is just not there...

"Would I rather improve 100lbs in my squat, or improve a few reps in the AD/ABductor?"

Seems obvious enough to me. I would bever think of including these in DC...hell, I would never use them period if I wasn't working around an injury or something of that matter...but maybe that's just me. They have their place I guess for those needing to bring up their inner or outer quad, but there are just so many more avenues to exhaust before using this IN DC.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Hi Lock it up
      Thanks for responding.
      Increasing my squat and other movements are of course my main concern. But I decided some time ago that I was one of those, who could benefit from incorporating some adductor work.
      I agree the biggest problem with the Gironda exercise would be progression, and especially when you have to hold the weight in your hand. I am asuming when a certain weight is being used, your hands/arms would give out before your adductors.
      So maybe attaching the weight directly to your knees with some ab straps or similar would solve the progression issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dcwannabee View Post
        Hi Lock it up

So maybe attaching the weight directly to your knees with some ab straps or similar would solve the progression issue.
        No. It wouldn't. You're missing the point. DC is meant to help guys progress for a LONG ASS PERIOD OF TIME. Do you think you can possibly progress enough in that exercise to justify using it over a squat, hack squat, front squat, leg press etc?

No way. If you are training DC, you need to make the most out of your exercise selection. I would never waste a slot for a movement with ab/aduction work. If you are concerned with that area, use that movement as a warmup before your real sets. Never sacrifice a good compound movement for an isolation...especially an isolation that doesn't carryover in terms of adding a lot of size to your legs.

Sure, there are examples of guys that have used that movement and added some girth to their legs...but those guys are way advanced, and have exhausted tons of methods before utilizing that movement to truly grow.

Do what you want, but you aren't gonna have anyone here tell you that it's wise...at least I hope not.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
        -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Hi Lock
          I am not using the adductor machine instead of a ham or quad movement, I am using it at the very end of my leg routine after my widowmaker as an extra exercise. Just to clerafy this for someone new to this side, this isnt part of the standard 2-way split. I incorporated them after reading this thread http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...dductor&page=2
          along with some other threads praising adductor work.

Comment

Here is a link to a video clip of a guy doing the Gironda exercise.
            http://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newslett...adductions.htm

Comment

Honestly, it's great to want to help your squat out and all...but to be frank, I simply wouldn't waste my time with it while doing DC. After a widow I just want to curl up in the fetal pisiton and suck my thumb.

But to each their own. Give it a shot, and see if you can continue to progress...

But just to be clear, there is only going to be so much progression as far as your ad/abductors go. They are a supporting muscle when referencing a squat...they aren't going to progress like a squat will. Just keep that in mind when trying to progress.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to give that exercise a shot...it looks awkward as hell to me, LOL.

You know what I just thought of...

You could try to change the way you do the exercise. Maybe do a tempo like:

Contract, hold the squeeze for true five count, super slow negative with a pause at the bottom and repeat. Anything to make it harder will help, and make you stronger in the process...that's what I would try if I were you.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

I agree the progression seems to be the biggest issue with this exercise(along with the awkwardness), and I would prefer to keep on doing the adductor machine, but it seems impossible for me to put more weight on that machine. I have been looking at some of those selectorized weight adapters so I am able to put more weight on the machine, but I havnt heard back from the guy selling them yet.
                I am already doing a really slow negative and a hold on both the bottom and top position. I have also slowed down the positive, so the whole movement is done really controlled. Thanks for Your input lock, I think You have convinced me to ditch the Gironda exercise.

Comment

Working...
                X