Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50+ Training Split

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 50+ Training Split

    Now that I'm over the big 5-0. I find myself constantly getting reoccurring tendonitis/tendonosis or slight muscle strains. I was doing M-W-F alternating between A and B routines, but now I'm thinking that I might need a little more time to recover. Has anyone in my age bracket tried just doing Monday (A) and Thursday (b) with a couple of days of cardio thrown in?

    Thanks
    ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

  • #2
    I'll be back a little later today and let you know the split I do...my last 2 blasts have been 8 full weeks..I was still going strong at the end of the 8th week but stopped and took proactive cruises both times...just won't take the chance of hitting the burnout/overtraining wall.
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Heckman View Post
      I'll be back a little later today and let you know the split I do...my last 2 blasts have been 8 full weeks..I was still going strong at the end of the 8th week but stopped and took proactive cruises both times...just won't take the chance of hitting the burnout/overtraining wall.
      Also interested in this. Not 50, but feel pretty beat up most days.
      Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

      My Training Log Here at IM

      "Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

      Comment


      • #4
        just in case the op hasnt seen this

        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=26753
        Not just making up the numbers

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tms1978 View Post
          just in case the op hasnt seen this

          http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=26753
          Yep I've long since upped my reps. It's not about ego anymore.
          ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

          Comment


          • #6
            bumping this back up as im interested to hear heckmans routine.

            Comment


            • #7
              there is a lot of factors that come into play when training over 50 (im 53). its not always just the age but could be stress, sleep patterns, food in take, etc.... i havent lost a thing in my old age other than im busier than ever and dont always have time to train 4xw or even 3xw. i go when i can and other than a torn hammie last oct that kept me out of action for a while i been hitting it pretty regular.

              common sense goes a long way too. if you not recovering as fast as you like take a day off every once and in while. at your age you should know your body pretty well and know the warning signs of OTing
              site owner of ironaddicts.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Remember training (at any time but particularly after 50) is a marathon NOT a sprint!! At 20 we all agonize over one missed workout; by 50 we should realize it is irrelevant in the overall scheme of things. The two-way split gives many more workouts in the course of one year compared with the each body-part once per week schedule but after 50 it is the fact that you are still training (hard hopefully) and resting adequately that is important. Listen to Skip on longevity and why he trains the way he does.

                Comment


                • #9
                  im not quite 50 but at 47(48 soon) im creeping up on it fast...ive been at this sense i was 18 so i like to hear what the old-er..strong-er more serious guys are doing to stay in the game and healthy...ive trained more for strength over the years so while still pretty strong for an old man my body has seen better days LOL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LTT View Post
                    bumping this back up as im interested to hear heckmans routine.
                    Sorry guys, been lagging...lol


                    Originally posted by exmgq View Post
                    there is a lot of factors that come into play when training over 50 (im 53). its not always just the age but could be stress, sleep patterns, food in take, etc.... i havent lost a thing in my old age other than im busier than ever and dont always have time to train 4xw or even 3xw. i go when i can and other than a torn hammie last oct that kept me out of action for a while i been hitting it pretty regular.

                    common sense goes a long way too. if you not recovering as fast as you like take a day off every once and in while. at your age you should know your body pretty well and know the warning signs of OTing

                    Great points for sure exmgq..I'll be 54 in a couple weeks and while I don't consider myself anywhere near as strong as some, I am stronger than I was 10 years ago no doubt.
                    Listening to your body is key in reducing injuries. If I feel like shit, which I rarely do, I skip my workout.

                    As far as my training goes, right now I just started a new blast, m/w/f routine. I keep my rp sets for ch/sh/tr in the 25-35 rp range. High, yes, but my joints really appreciate it. My back sets for width are generally 20-30 rp.
                    and my thickness are 15-20 and 10-15. I stretch after I've done ch/sh/tri, then again after both back sets.

                    With this type of rep range I'm able to get 7-8 weeks of a solid blast,but I always go out on my cruise before my body tells me too. More of a proactive cruise than burnout and better take a cruise situation.

                    I don't remeber the last time I was out injured. I'm sure it was years ago.
                    (other than when I had shingles a couple years ago)
                    I like to train hard, but training smarter takes presedence day in and day out for this old man...lol

                    Oh and I alway take at least 5 minutes rest before moving from chest to shoulder and shoulder to tri's...same for back, sometimes a bit longer.
                    Last edited by Heckman; 01-09-2012, 02:08 PM.
                    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                      Sorry guys, been lagging...lol





                      Great points for sure exmgq..I'll be 54 in a couple weeks and while I don't consider myself anywhere near as strong as some, I am stronger than I was 10 years ago no doubt.
                      Listening to your body is key in reducing injuries. If I feel like shit, which I rarely do, I skip my workout.

                      As far as my training goes, right now I just started a new blast, m/w/f routine. I keep my rp sets for ch/sh/tr in the 25-35 rp range. High, yes, but my joints really appreciate it. My back sets for width are generally 20-30 rp.
                      and my thickness are 15-20 and 10-15. I stretch after I've done ch/sh/tri, then again after both back sets.

                      With this type of rep range I'm able to get 7-8 weeks of a solid blast,but I always go out on my cruise before my body tells me too. More of a proactive cruise than burnout and better take a cruise situation.

                      I don't remeber the last time I was out injured. I'm sure it was years ago.
                      (other than when I had shingles a couple years ago)
                      I like to train hard, but training smarter takes presedence day in and day out for this old man...lol

                      Oh and I alway take at least 5 minutes rest before moving from chest to shoulder and shoulder to tri's...same for back, sometimes a bit longer.
                      My CNS gets burnt easily with low reps so hearing you're getting results at higher reps is inspirational. Heckman what rep range do you use for legs?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I hear this program is pretty good. It was designed by this old guy who still wanted to make progress after 30 years of training but not beat himself to a pulp...

                        www.fortitudetraining.net

                        -S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

                        Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                        www.TrueNutrition.com

                        2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                          Sorry guys, been lagging...lol





                          Great points for sure exmgq..I'll be 54 in a couple weeks and while I don't consider myself anywhere near as strong as some, I am stronger than I was 10 years ago no doubt.
                          Listening to your body is key in reducing injuries. If I feel like shit, which I rarely do, I skip my workout.

                          As far as my training goes, right now I just started a new blast, m/w/f routine. I keep my rp sets for ch/sh/tr in the 25-35 rp range. High, yes, but my joints really appreciate it. My back sets for width are generally 20-30 rp.
                          and my thickness are 15-20 and 10-15. I stretch after I've done ch/sh/tri, then again after both back sets.

                          With this type of rep range I'm able to get 7-8 weeks of a solid blast,but I always go out on my cruise before my body tells me too. More of a proactive cruise than burnout and better take a cruise situation.

                          I don't remeber the last time I was out injured. I'm sure it was years ago.
                          (other than when I had shingles a couple years ago)
                          I like to train hard, but training smarter takes presedence day in and day out for this old man...lol

                          Oh and I alway take at least 5 minutes rest before moving from chest to shoulder and shoulder to tri's...same for back, sometimes a bit longer.
                          Couple of Q's, if you don't mind and have time to answer:

                          1. are you using a standard 2-way split? or 3-way, whatever?

                          2. all exercises RP or some SS?

                          3. any "non weight room" recommendations e.g dietary "tweaks", supplements, cardio, etc?

                          Thanks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            if putting on mass is not you number one priority, I would use the 5 way split for a short while to give your joints a break from the frequency training.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X