Rows- How You Like To Do Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rows- How You Like To Do Them

Forgive me if this is an over done topic- I am curious how people prefer to do rows- shoulder held back and tight in the socket like when benching, or allowed to move forward?

usually its best to maintain a rigid lower back and tight core and allow your shoulder blades to slide all the way forward (stretching your lats) before pulling explosively to your midsection. i assume your talking like bent barbell rows? yea you def what your shoulder blades sliding forward to fully stretch the lats at bottom of the movement and contracted fully at the top. hope this helps. i use a more upright syance like cutler. this is how my personal trainier taught me to do them when i first starteed bbing
    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

sorry about the spelling errors im not proficient with typing...lol...my wife says im a type-tard. i meant want and stance. not what and syance..
      I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
      I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I like Pendlay Rows.

Here is an example...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LJq...eature=related
        Last edited by Doberman; 10-25-2011, 03:03 PM.
        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I like Pendlay Rows, but I also do BB Rows with a slightly more upright posture than you see in the pendlay row video provided by Doberman. I keep my hamstrings tight, slight arch in my lower back and try to keep my torso as rigid as possible. When performing the rep I like to let my shoulders pull forward slightly at the bottom and then pull them together at the top of the rep. I don't "bounce" it at the bottom and do a controlled negative. That is just my preference, as I feel it helps me focus more on working the muscles meant to be worked and prevents (or minimizes) momentum in the rep.
          Last edited by mentalflex; 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7_q...er_profilepage
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

I like regular bb rows, but I usually start my back with a variation of Deadlifts. After deads I feel like regular bb rows lend themselves to momentum, especially after a hard deadlift session. If I used them it would be in place of deadlifts, but I really don't like taking deads out so the point is mute.
              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sHKdyLYfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HwIRAFRGY
                CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                2010 NGA Pro Universe
                2010 NPC Monster Mash
                2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                2008 NPC Ohio State
                2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Pendlays, because it is harder to cheat and I like how it targets my upper back more, which is where I need work.

Comment

i don't think its ever a good idea to not have stabilization when doing any form of movement requiring you to bend over, IMO. keeping everything tight, allowing only for the appropriate ROM, is the best way, again IMO, to get the benefits for which the exercise is intended. Unless I am pausing at the bottom or going for an extended stretch there, keep those babies pulled back.

That said, I love me some pendlay rows and i will swap them out with bb rows on occasion. bb rows, unless i do them on the smith machine, i will stay upright much more than when doing pendlays.
                    2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
                    2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
                    2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
                    2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
                    2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
                    2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

What I have been doing lately (since coming back from back/neck injuries), is doing a supported bent row. Take an incline bench and set it to about 45 degrees (might have to change ti for height, this works for me)...whatever angle that will make you perform the movement as a true bent row I.E. BODY PERPENDICULAR TO THE FLOOR.

Now, set up behind the bench with your bar, deadlift it up, then lean all the way down with your forehead supported by the bench. Perform your row, making sure to fully stretch all the way on the negative, then back up.

This is humbling, and will keep you honest. YOUR HEAD NEVER COMES OFF THE PAD! I could routinely row 315-350 for pretty solid reps without the support (because my torso could come up a bit)...but doing this method I am using about 225 (higher reps mind you) and holy hell I have never felt my back work so hard on rows.

Oh, and IMO...This whole thing about "I like standing upright more to hit my upper back"...Uhh, no you like doing that because you can move more weight. Check the ego and start growing.

Edit: Should mention I used to do my rows with a kinda hybrid approach between a pendlay and a regular row...have videos of it in my journal because people asked, if anyone is interested...love that movement.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                      -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                      2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                      -1st Heavyweight Gi
                      2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                      2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

I personally think that being more upright DOES hit your upper back more. I have farted around with so many stances over the years due to my SI Joint instability, and in my opinion, I have absolutely felt the upper muscles more at a higher angle than when doing rows closer to 90 degrees.....that being said, I don't perform them this way, and I do agree with you Lock in regard to dropping the weight. I can rarely perform any type of bent row that is unsupported due to my injury. Every once in awhile I can do T-bar rows and I love them. I used to do these all the time.....love the close grip and hand placement on these, really feels like it's chewing up the muscle.....I love all rowing movements, but bent barbell rows is how my SI Joint finally went out on me, so I have flashbacks just thinking about them....lol
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                          What I have been doing lately (since coming back from back/neck injuries), is doing a supported bent row. Take an incline bench and set it to about 45 degrees (might have to change ti for height, this works for me)...whatever angle that will make you perform the movement as a true bent row I.E. BODY PERPENDICULAR TO THE FLOOR.

Now, set up behind the bench with your bar, deadlift it up, then lean all the way down with your forehead supported by the bench. Perform your row, making sure to fully stretch all the way on the negative, then back up.

This is humbling, and will keep you honest. YOUR HEAD NEVER COMES OFF THE PAD! I could routinely row 315-350 for pretty solid reps without the support (because my torso could come up a bit)...but doing this method I am using about 225 (higher reps mind you) and holy hell I have never felt my back work so hard on rows.

Oh, and IMO...This whole thing about "I like standing upright more to hit my upper back"...Uhh, no you like doing that because you can move more weight. Check the ego and start growing.

Edit: Should mention I used to do my rows with a kinda hybrid approach between a pendlay and a regular row...have videos of it in my journal because people asked, if anyone is interested...love that movement.

I couldn't disagree more

if you want to do a strict 90degree angle pull, why not just use a machine or do cable rows

staying too strict on a bent over row, IMO, puts you at a high risk of injury because you're forcing yourself out of your natural biomechanical groove on something heavy and bent over. I'm not saying to round your back and do shrugs with it, but come on, if you can't support a little lower back movement with 315, how the hell are you deadlifting ever?
                          Last edited by bhman6; 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM.
                          CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
                          MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
                          2010 NGA Pro Universe
                          2010 NPC Monster Mash
                          2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
                          2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
                          2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
                          2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
                          2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
                          2008 NPC Ohio State
                          2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

you know what sucks? bb rows.

'nuff said
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                              you know what sucks? bb rows.

'nuff said
                              word! said the same thing when i did them 2day!
                              2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
                              2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
                              2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
                              2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
                              2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
                              2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

Working...
                              X