New puppy here with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New puppy here with a question

Hey guys just wanted to say whats up and i have a question.

Ok heres my stats

213lbs, 5'10. 8%ish bf.

Im doing DC 3 way split, as i work 9 hour shifts, and commute 2 hours so by the time i get home its like 6:30pm, and i leave for work at 5:30am

I have a question.

Ok so i dont have a spotter so like on bench press i do this:

bench press 315lbs x 10 (10th rep really hard), 315lbs x 6 (6th rep barely completed), then go straight to 110lb dumbells and get total failure.

Obviously this isnt DC, but i sometimes dont have a spotter, and my gym DBs only go to 110lb.

any tips? i really like barbell bench, but i will scrap it if i would get better results from like rotating chest flys and DB bench only. But im worried my 110lb bench on DBs would be really high rep range. like 17 on first set.

does your gym not have a smith machine? or if you are dead set on doing free barbell bench, at least a power rack you can set the bars accordingly?

Comment

Yea there is a smith machine but it's an old rickidy p.o.s

I was thinking I could put the bench on a very slight incline in the power rack, then set the pins right under my chest, so that when I fail I'll just push the weight towards my feet. I just hope I can unload and re load the bar in 15 breaths lol

Comment

Originally posted by Juggy38 View Post
        Yea there is a smith machine but it's an old rickidy p.o.s

I was thinking I could put the bench on a very slight incline in the power rack, then set the pins right under my chest, so that when I fail I'll just push the weight towards my feet. I just hope I can unload and re load the bar in 15 breaths lol
        Ideally you just get a spot. Not too tough to get someone to help you for a few minutes?...

IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THIS (this is what I do, as needed):
        No need to unload the bar if you do do an incline in the power-rack. I simply deadlift it back on to the supports. You might want to include a few extra breaths in between failure points however, as this can wind you a bit... Be careful if you do deadlift the back up to be sure you have decent stability on your bench when lifting the weight.

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I've starting benching in a power rack for 90% of my benching, then just deadlift it back in to the rack when needed. You could always try to just make a friend in the gym and have them spot you...or don't even make friends, it's just a spot.
          …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

I also do the Deadlift method to get the bar back up as asking a stranger to put his crotch near my face for a few minutes can be weird, what with me grunting, panting and slobbering.

I do my Deadlifts on Bench day in the 2 way split and this helps my back warm up later on.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              Ideally you just get a spot. Not too tough to get someone to help you for a few minutes?...

IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THIS (this is what I do, as needed):
              No need to unload the bar if you do do an incline in the power-rack. I simply deadlift it back on to the supports. You might want to include a few extra breaths in between failure points however, as this can wind you a bit... Be careful if you do deadlift the back up to be sure you have decent stability on your bench when lifting the weight.

-S
              That sir is a grand idea! so does those count toward back thickness reps? haha j/k.

Comment

Working...
              X