Rep Range Individual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep Range Individual?

Can i do 15-30 RP on all muscle groups and exercises?

Originally posted by MsteveM View Post
    most rest paused exercises are 11-15 rp or 15-20, or even up to 20-30 rp.

back thickness straight sets are 4, 8 for deadlifts and around 12 for rows

heavy quad exercises are 4-8, then 20 (for the widowmaker)

you get a little bit of personal choice in what rep range you choose..the only requirement is that it works well for you.
    Dante has also recommended higher rep-ranges for individuals over the age of thirty-four, to make injuries less likely.

One more thing I'd recommend is that you check Slide's training journal. His rep ranges even on heavy quad and back-thickness exercises are high, but he still moves some crazy weights when he trains.
    Last edited by Daniel7908; 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Just putting out my personal experience. I've upper rep ranges on various expercises due to shoulder injuries and after exerpiementing, found that on some exercises I was getting better results (e.g. progressing in weight faster and adding size) using higher rep ranges. This is particularly true for my chest movements, 2 of which are in the high rep ranges. Just my $0.02, FWIW.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I notice I can progress better when I RP between 20-25. If I try and go heavier the next week I can usuallyonly get an extra rep or 2, but when the rep ranges are higher I can add soe weight AND add atleast 3 or 4 reps

Comment

11-15 works well for me on all the exercises that call for RP EXCEPT biceps and hamstrings they need 15-20 on biceps and 15-25 on hamstrings. Dante knows what he is talking about after all.
          :kewlpics:You are correct, Dante did in fact take my avatar pic. lol

Comment

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...ighlight=range

"Remember there isnt a magically rep range per se....its what you feel comfortable in doing by and large.....its gaining 50-200lbs in that same rep range progressively over months and months of time thats going to do the magic."

Comment

exactly. 15-30 Rp should be all endurance fibers with minimal hypertrophy. It does depend on the individual tho. It may be comfortable but is it making you bigger? Most likely a waste of time.
              :kewlpics:You are correct, Dante did in fact take my avatar pic. lol

Comment

So 15-30 RP is not a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel7908 View Post
                  Dante has also recommended higher rep-ranges for individuals over the age of thirty-four, to make injuries less likely.
                  From personal experience, that is very true. Now that I'm over 50, I've had to increase reps ranges significantly to prevent injury. The old body just isn't as elastic as it used to be :/
                  ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Originally posted by hyperintensity View Post
                    11-15 works well for me on all the exercises that call for RP EXCEPT biceps and hamstrings they need 15-20 on biceps and 15-25 on hamstrings. Dante knows what he is talking about after all.
                    Originally posted by hyperintensity View Post
                    exactly. 15-30 Rp should be all endurance fibers with minimal hypertrophy. It does depend on the individual tho. It may be comfortable but is it making you bigger? Most likely a waste of time.
                    This in an interesting viewpoint. Does this mean that after rep 25 for hamstrings you're using "all endurance fibers" and the "non-endurance fibers" drop out of the activation pattern?... Do these "endurance fibers" have any potential for growth?...

It sounds from what you're saying that it is possible that someone might have muscle groups that respond to high reps like your biceps and hamstrings do?... What are the chances of this?...

Is the recommendation to use 20-30RP as a rep range for for DB pressing movements "most likely a waste of time" because it will result in "minimal hypertrophy?"

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      Is the recommendation to use 20-30RP as a rep range for for DB pressing movements "most likely a waste of time" because it will result in "minimal hypertrophy?"

-S
                      Scott, I have to comment on this because you and I both found that for my DB presses I experienced better hypertrophy using a higher rep range. This is just my personal experience and others may be different, but this proves that hypertrophy can be acheived using the higher rep ranges for DB pressing movements.

-Kris
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                        Scott, I have to comment on this because you and I both found that for my DB presses I experienced better hypertrophy using a higher rep range. This is just my personal experience and others may be different, but this proves that hypertrophy can be acheived using the higher rep ranges for DB pressing movements.

-Kris
                        Agreed most definitely, Kris.

I like to gather opinions in part as well as figure out where / who folks come to certain conclusions.

Hyperintensity has some pretty strong takes here, but they don't seem consistent. (This could be in part b/c he's just zipping off quick more general answers.)

I think of threads like this as searchable info. that someone trying to figure out DC training can unarchive down the road. There could be a shitload of great threads on this topic that are old(er), but this might be the one that the next half dozen people find first off when looking for rep range info. I'd rather that the last, unchallenged word of this thread not be that RP rep ranges topping out at 30 are "most likely a waste of time," when this is obviously not the case in my and your experience and is indeed the general suggestion for DC training (20-30RP or 25-30RP) with DB pressing movements.

Beyond that, though, I like discussion, so I figured asking hyperintensity about this might spur some good conversation about loading parameters, activation patterns, skeletal muscle fiber types, hypertrophic responses, and whatever else our little meat-filled heads fancy talking about.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I have found that I like the higher rep ranges (20-30rp, 15-20ss) much better than the lower range. Being 41 and taking Dante's advice to us older guys, my joints don't hurt as much and I can still get stronger in these higher rep ranges. I still sometimes switch it up and go low reps, but I don't feel too good for a few days after...
                          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Me personally my quads did not grow until I started higher rep ranges.

Comment

Still heavy...but higher
                              I dont train light I just try and train heavy but keep the reps up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X