Question for Homon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Homon

I asked Homon that question via PM but he reminded me that it would be better to post it on the forum so that others could benefit. Hopefully he'll chime in.

« People often report needing a cruise week after 6-8 weeks, but i'll use 6 for this example.

Let's say I start my blast next monday and I start easy for the first 3 weeks to ease into it and allow for more PR's potential, as it worked nicely for me in the past and as it is often recommended anyway.

Week 1: A1 - B1 - A2
    Week 2: B2 - A3 - B3
    Week 3: A1 - B1 - A2
    Week 4: B2 - A3 - B3
    Week 5: A1 - B1 - A2
    Week 6: B2 - A3 - B3

That would mean that I'd push B2-A3-B3 twice and the other days (A1-B1-A2) only once and that I would then cruise for a week. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do people that cruises after 6 weeks simply start the blast balls out? That would explain the quick overtraining.

Otherwise, I would most likely be able to go hard for at least 8-10 weeks I suppose (supposing I take the first three easy, slowly ramping the intensity).

Is my comprehension right? »
    Use the following discount code: BDB830 and save 5 to 10% on your order at www.trueprotein.com

My take on it after much reading is that DC training is balls out intensity from the get go. If you are "ramping up" over three weeks you are not really DC training IMO.
    You might start with "lighter" weights, but if you are taking it to three failure points, that's pretty fucking intense regardless.

Maybe I am misreading what you mean here, but to my knowledge there is no "ramping up" in DC training.
    Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      My take on it after much reading is that DC training is balls out intensity from the get go. If you are "ramping up" over three weeks you are not really DC training IMO.
      You might start with "lighter" weights, but if you are taking it to three failure points, that's pretty fucking intense regardless.

Maybe I am misreading what you mean here, but to my knowledge there is no "ramping up" in DC training.
      I guess you're right.

In the past I used to ramp to my max over a 3-4 week period, and then keep hitting pr's for weeks after that as long as my weight increments were minimals.

Something like 85% on week 1, 90% on week 2, 95% on week 3, you get the point...

I'm not familiar with DC training though, but I thought I could start easy and then go balls out for as long as I can before cruising.
      Use the following discount code: BDB830 and save 5 to 10% on your order at www.trueprotein.com

Comment

I wouldnt confuse, for example, using/starting with 90% of your last blast numbers (again, just as an example here) as using 90% effort on your training. You should still be giving 100%, but training smart...not taking two weeks off and immediately trying to destroy where you left off.

Hope that helps...

-slide
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post
          I wouldnt confuse, for example, using/starting with 90% of your last blast numbers (again, just as an example here) as using 90% effort on your training. You should still be giving 100%, but training smart...not taking two weeks off and immediately trying to destroy where you left off.

Hope that helps...

-slide
          So it's very possible that you hit more reps then prescribed then right? Basically, you guys would use a lower weight than what you ended with, but still go balls out with it the first week?

Comment

Originally posted by bernimx View Post
            So it's very possible that you hit more reps then prescribed then right? Basically, you guys would use a lower weight than what you ended with, but still go balls out with it the first week?
            yes
            -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
            -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
            198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
            -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
            198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
            -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
            198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

This is exactly what happened with me. I started a new blast 10 days ago and I am tearing through rep ranges on a number of exercises.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
                yes
                If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Ah - ha!!! Look at all this great response!!! LOL (Thanks for posting this in the open forum bernimx. Very much.)

You pick a weight that feels right so you hit the prescribed rep range. A common strategy is to make sure that that weight such that you end up near the top of the rep range so, over the course of many weeks, you can still keep using progressively heavier weights and still stay in range, even if the reps start to drop towards the bottom end of the range over time.

So, some guys come back STRONGER and some weaker, and this can vary by exercise, how long you've been blasting with it and how long you've been doing the exercise. (The progression dynamics of incline BB press for someone who's been training with that exercise for 15 years will be different than, say, reverse unilateral cable wrist curls which they are doing for the first time b/c they saw Dante's video just a few months ago.). You don't automatically pick a weight that is less than where you left off but this is what happens most of the time when you go by feel (not the log book) in choose your weight the first couple weeks back after a cruise.

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I know this was a while ago, but I thought I would chime in too. A lot of times before I would start my blast, I would do 2 weeks of the blast as Straight sets. This would give me a good idea of where my starting weights would be. There is no reason you cannot go beyond 6 weeks, but I found for myself, usually around 7-8 weeks I was done and needed the break.

One thing I also noticed chatting with people here, and reading and commenting on journals, is that people tend to up their weights by a lot. So your inclining for 225 for 13, great, feels good. Next time you decide to up it to 235 and get 13, so you feel you can do 255 the next time...and you fail. Increasing too much too soon. That's just an example, but its probably the most common mistakes people make with DC.

Oh, that and over-analyzing everything, but that's another thread
                    Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
                    BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Man you genetic freaks. 2 way DC fries me after 5 weeks.

Comment

But, I also work 5 9 hour shifts and a 1 hour commute

Comment

Working...
                        X