widowmakers for quads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• widowmakers for quads.

Just curious at what percent does most of you do your widowmakers at after your heavy quad lift. When I first did it i seem to average around half the weight, well abit more than half for instance on leg press ill just take half the plates off same with squats so you still have the machine and the bar weight etc.

Am I pussying out using to little weight on the widow maker or is about half a fine weight? Thats what i start with and if i get 21 reps on the widow i increase the widow maker weight of course but its generally half the weight.

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
    Just curious at what percent does most of you do your widowmakers at after your heavy quad lift. When I first did it i seem to average around half the weight, well abit more than half for instance on leg press ill just take half the plates off same with squats so you still have the machine and the bar weight etc.

Am I pussying out using to little weight on the widow maker or is about half a fine weight? Thats what i start with and if i get 21 reps on the widow i increase the widow maker weight of course but its generally half the weight.
    I think half is too little, but everyone is different.

I like to think of it like this: Your widow maker should be the weight you would use for a 10 rep max set, done for 20 reps.

Here has been my widow makers for the last 3 leg workouts:

Leg Press (6-10) - 990 x 8
    Leg Press Widowmaker - 720 x 20

Smith Back Squat (6-10) - 425 x 8
    Widowmaker - 335 x 20

Back Squat (6-10) - 455 x 6
    Widowmaker - 315 x 20

Last edited by DOHCrazy; 07-23-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
      I think half is too little, but everyone is different.

I like to think of it like this: Your widow maker should be the weight you would use for a 10 rep max set, done for 20 reps.
      When people say this I feel like its a "macho" response to sound intense. Not trying to attack you at all but its very misleading. A widowmaker is a 20 rep MAX TO FAILURE. If you pick a 10 rep max then do 20, well then thats your 20 rep max not 10. . . hope that makes sense. I guess everyone is diff, it seems with legs its much more about your drive and will to endure pain then muscle failure. On an exercise like incline bench you just cant will an extra 4 reps, but on squat or leg press it seems atleast to me its more more mental and enduring the pain and pushing though. DC is about intensity, some people go harder then others and push harder then others. . .

Comment

Originally posted by MachMood View Post
        When people say this I feel like its a "macho" response to sound intense. Not trying to attack you at all but its very misleading. A widowmaker is a 20 rep MAX TO FAILURE. If you pick a 10 rep max then do 20, well then thats your 20 rep max not 10. . . hope that makes sense. I guess everyone is diff, it seems with legs its much more about your drive and will to endure pain then muscle failure. On an exercise like incline bench you just cant will an extra 4 reps, but on squat or leg press it seems atleast to me its more more mental and enduring the pain and pushing though. DC is about intensity, some people go harder then others and push harder then others. . .
        Sorry, wasn't trying to sound macho.

It was more of a mental thing to think about, than to be taken literally. Obviously if you get 20, it wasn't a 10 rep max. Again, sorry.

I agree about legs being different. Seems like in my experience my mind/lungs check out MUCH sooner than my muscles do, and if I can make it past the mental barrier, I can squeeze out another rep or two.

Comment

about the mental thing. I believe thats 100 percent true. few workouts ago i was going to give out since i just tossed in leg press on machine and was didnt know my weights, and i was so about to just call it quits at 10 reps. i was like im so done i really cant do anymore on the 9th rep and came 10 and was just like cmon screw it couple more hit 15 atleast legs were burning and i did hit 20 each rep after 15 was like 1 more in my head and ill just beat 16 next time with 17 next workout. next thing u know im at 20 and it was the best feeling ever lol. felt i just cured cancer iwas so proud lmao.

Comment

i agree^

Comment

DOH again nothing against you, Looking good man what are your stats?? height/weight/bf??

Comment

DOH again nothing against you, Looking good man what are your stats?? height/weight/bf??
                6'1, 238, fat (I don't know, maybe 16%) my avatar is current.

Comment

what's some measurments doh?

Comment

I'm not currently doing DC, but this when I was this is how I would explain it. For me I use a weight that is my 10 rep max, but a better way to explain this is that the ten rep max that I am talking about is a weight that I can get for 10 reps with almost continuous tension on the muscle. So in this example I would keep from locking out and resting in that position. With the widowmaker I do my normal 10 reps in this fashion, then rest in the locked out position take a couple deep breaths and then complete as many reps as I can until I have to stop and do it all over again. I keep this up until I either can't or until I get to 20 reps.
                    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                    X