Newb need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb need suggestions

Ive been reading up on DC for a while now and have been doing it for the last 3 weeks and absolutely love it. Ive read and read and read again but theres a couple little questions I had that I wasnt able to quite find answers on. Im 26 years old 5'9", 178lbs and natural. I previously ran a power/hyper split and liked that but the time I was spending in the gym was just a little much. Im all about the KISS method, keeping things simple. I got interested in DC training because I dont like spending a ton of time in the gym and would rather get in, bust my ass, and get out. Heres what Im running.

A1
    Inc. Hammer Strength 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Military Hammer Strength 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Cybex Dip Machine 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Close Grip Pulldowns 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Deadlift 6-10/SS

B1
    Straight Bar Curl 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Hammer Curls 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Donkey Calf Raises 15-20/SS w/20 sec negatives
    Seated Leg Curls 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Cybex Leg Press 4-8/SS plus WM

A2
    Smith Machine Flat Bench 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Smith Machine Military Press 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Smith Machine Rev. Grip Bench 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Wide Grip Weighted Pullups 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Hammer Strength Machine Rows 10-12/SS

B2
    DB Curls 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Rev. Grip Curls 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Seated Calf Raises 15-20/SS w/20 sec negatives
    Lying Leg Curls 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Back Squat 4-8/SS plus WM

A3
    DB Inc. Press 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    DB Military Press 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Weighted Dips 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Rack Pulls 10-12/SS

B3
    Weighted Pullups 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Cybex Curl Mach. 11-15/RP for 3 "sets"
    Standing Calf Raises 15-20/SS w/20 sec negatives
    Ham Raises 15-20/RP for 3 "sets"
    Hack Squat 4-8/SS plus WM

I kind of wish I could just do A1/A2 and B1/B2 as the 3rd cycle exersizes arent ones I like very well but put there cuz I ran out of others. Also if I plateau on a certain movement I wont have anything to substitute.

Can you just run 2 or is it mandatory to run 3?

Currently Im still reverse dieting from competing in March so Im still bringing cals up. They will seem very low to most of you as I read up you guys run a lot more food than most programs. Im all about eating massive quantities of food but also want to keep bf somewhat in check. Im actually IFing right now as small meals are a tease for me and leave me unsatisfied. Typically I break my fast around 3pm, train at 5:30 and then consume the rest of my cals in 2 meals post workout.

Macros are 50f/350c/220p

My metabolism still seems to be pretty damaged as I had to dip real deep for this prep so anytime I bring cals up too high I put on weight VERY fast. Also having a very sedementary job contributes to a lower cal consumption.

I am doing weight training M, W, F and 30 mins LISS cardio on Tues, and Thurs.

Just wanted to get some opinions from the more experienced on here. The only thing that bugs me really is the A3 and B3 days as those are movements Im not crazy about. Any barbell shoulder pressing kills my shoulder. Besides that Ive been beating my log book every workout so I know Im on the right track. Im sure I missed a few details so any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Slovation; 05-27-2011, 07:22 PM.

Why don't you have more options to substitute exercises as you stall? That's an important part of the program.

I try to balance out all my workouts so that all my favorite exercises or hardest exercises aren't all grouped together in a couple workouts. Keeps things fresh and interesting.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
      Why don't you have more options to substitute exercises as you stall? That's an important part of the program.

I try to balance out all my workouts so that all my favorite exercises or hardest exercises aren't all grouped together in a couple workouts. Keeps things fresh and interesting.
      Well let me rephrase that. I dont necessarily have no more options but as far as exersizes/movements I respond to well are limited. Ive tried many times to incorporate barbell shoulder movements but for some reason it doesnt feel "right" with me. I dont know if it my body mechanics or the shoulder pain it cause me I just simply dont like it. Dumbells on the other hand dont give me a problem at all but seeing as DBs go in 5lb incriments it will most likely limit my ability to make small weight increases. Is there any downside to running just an A1/A2/B1/B2 and using exersizes from my A3/B3 as subsitutes when I plateau?

Comment

Yes. It won't work as well and that's not how it was designed.

Comment

Ok thanks. As far as everything else goes how does my layout look? Im really enjoying it so far and am suprised how sore I get from such little volume.

Comment

I would also go higher reps on the db curls.
            "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
            J.M.

Comment

Originally posted by bouncer dave View Post
              I would also go higher reps on the db curls.
              Thanks. You thinking more like 15-20?

Also any of you able to incorporate front squats into your routine or is it just not possible as your shoulders would fatigue from holding the weight before your legs on the WM?

Comment

I do front squats but shoot for 15 reps instead of 20 for the reason you mentioned.

Comment

ok cool. Front squats are one of my faves.

Im hoping that my weak points will come up as well. Posterior chain as well as arms/calves. I wasnt blessed with great arm genetics and having decent delts and big legs definitely makes them look even smaller, especially when dieted down.

Comment

When you guys cruise have u had better results from taking time completely off from the gym or doing a deload? When Ive deloaded in the past with other programs I liked throwing in some occlusion training. Gives the joints a break and also does a good job with depleting muscle glycogen which seems like a good idea if diet isnt modified for lack/decrease in training.

Also I feel like my shoulder exersizes are a little too front delt dominant. Ive used lateral raises in the past and seem to have responded well to those but an exersize like that is easy to swing/cheat on and doesnt seem to overload the muscle as much. Anyone incorporate additional delt work?

Taking a good 2 years off from competing to bring up as much thickness as possible. I look impressive from the front but on side shots it really shows my lack of thickness.
                    Last edited by Slovation; 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X