• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add pylometrics to DC routine

cliff notes:

*been doing DC routine for 5 years
    *had strongman competion at work and got smoked
    *still want to train for hypertrophy but thinking maybe adding some plyometric work to address 'functional stregth' weaknesses (and do better at next years event)
    *not trying to be pro builder, not trying to be pro athlete, just concerned about overall fitness weaknesses

Full story:

Ive been training ~15 years, last five doing DC (2 way split, 3 set rest pause, ~ 8 week blasts with 1 week cruise, etc) with decent results (trained online with Dante for a while back in '07ish). We had a strongman competion at work a few weeks ago and got crushed on many events (tire flip, shotput, farmers walk) by smaller/weaker guys. I didnt train specifically for any of these events and dont plan to for next year. That said neither did anyone else- this is just a funny company picnic type event.

My main lifting goal is still hypertrophy but at 38 i realize my im not going to become the next mr O so I giving up a little to become more well rounded is ok with me. This event got me thinking that I have some definate "functional strength" weakness in my overall fitness and maybe I should add some pylometric/explosive exercises to my routines. Maybe alternate between a DC blast and one of these?

Kicking around these ideas

ROUTINE 1-
    M: Chest,quads,calves A (DC style)
    W: Shoulders, backwidth, backthickness A (DC style)
    F: Chest,quads,calves B (DC style)
    S: full body pyloday (jump squats, explosive push ups, snatch)

ROUTINE 2
    M: chest/back A (DC style), single plyo finisher exercise
    W: shoulders/legs A (DC style) ,single plyo finisher exercise
    F: chest/back B (DC style), single plyo finisher exercise
    S: shoulders/legs B (DC style), single plyo finisher exercise

Anyone have any experience/opinion on this?

Please no "dont bastardize the DC routine" or "why dont you go to the crossfit boards you @$$hat"

Thanks.

I personally like to alternate a DC blast with a few weeks of a different kind of training because I have pretty small joints so DC has me hurting by the end of it. You might try an olympic lifting regimine for a couple of weeks after every blast to work on power/conditioning/flexibility?

I find going back to a different style of lifting after every blast leads to dramatically better results in that other kind of system and has me more refreshed for the next blast.

Comment

Originally posted by hector View Post
      We had a strongman competion at work a few weeks ago and got crushed on many events (tire flip, shotput, farmers walk) by smaller/weaker guys. I didnt train specifically for any of these events and dont plan to for next year. That said neither did anyone else- this is just a funny company picnic type event.
      They may have been smaller, but at least on those events they were stronger/more powerful/better conditioned than you.

If you really want to get better at strong man/functional type training, then you need to train for that type of stuff.

If you are training DC you should have pretty good strength endurance... but if you want to get better at this type of stuff you need to work on your absolute strength, power, power endurance, and general conditioning.

All that being said I tried incorporating more functional type training into my DC routine about a year ago when I was still training DC and it was too much. So I had to switch to 5/3/1. That being said it will really just depend on a lot of factors (recovery abilities, nutrition, rest, age, etc.)
      -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
      -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
      198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
      -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
      198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
      -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
      198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

It still amazes me how soooo many guys think DC is just another program...

DC is meant for people who want to be gargantuan bodybuilders. End of Story.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
        -1st Heavyweight Gi
        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Jeff, with my current training my endurance wasnt bad my any means (it was actually quite good) and yes if I really wanted to get good at strongman events training them specifically would be the best- the event itself was just for fun but i got me thinking and re-evaluating my goals. Theres no way I could handle adding any addition excercies on top of a regular 2 way split. I was thinking about taking out all arm work to give me more gas for some gpp work and adjust training frequeny as needed. Ill check out the 5/3/1

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post

lol... isnt that exactly what DC training is... a program.. for bodybuilding. Im not looking to add clapping pushups to the two way split and claim it the new superhytrophy program of the decade. Im looking to use the high training frequency and rest pause techniques that I like and come up with something that meets my goals a little better. So for me its not the 'end of story'. thanks.
          Last edited by hector; 05-26-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

:high5::high5::high5::high5::high5::high5::high5:: high5::high5::first:
            Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post

END OF STORY:drum:
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Comment

I would definitely look into 5/3/1, Juggernaut, or a 5/5 routine. 5/3/1 in particular will get you maximally strong, allow for hypertrophy training (in your assistance work), and even allows/encourages RP sets in your assistance work if you'd like. It also gives you a bit more play in your cardio/GPP work. I think it would fit nicely with what you are trying to do.
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by hector View Post

lol... isnt that exactly what DC training is... a program.. for bodybuilding. Im not looking to add clapping pushups to the two way split and claim it the new superhytrophy program of the decade. Im looking to use the high training frequency and rest pause techniques that I like and come up with something that meets my goals a little better. So for me its not the 'end of story'. thanks.
                Yes. That's exactly what it is...not a program meant to help anyone but bodybuilders reach leavels of muscularity they once thought impossible, or improbable.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but 99% of bodybuilders (There is always outliers and genetic anomalies) that are at the top levels (Top national guys, pros), you know the ones that you see in person and think to yourself "JESUS, THAT GUY IS A FUCKING BEHEMOTH!"...well, those guys aren't built for "functional strength" (I hate that term by the way. What is functional? Beign able to do what you train to do, and do it well? Then I'd say being a good bodybuilder is still being functional...the function is to carry lots of muscle and minimal bodyfat. But I digress).

DC is meant to take a guy who has reached already well above average levels of muscularity, and turn him into the largest person he could ever be...period. It's not meant to help strongman become more functional, or anything else except to make someone GROW. That is what it was intended for when Dante tweaked things over and over to make it a surefire way of making GIANTS.

I don't care how anyone trains....way more important things to worry about. What gets to me is when I see soooooo many people thinking "Oh, this DC sounds like it could be great for my goals! I want more muscle, and I want to be better at (insert function other than holding more muscle on your frame here)" But in the grand scheme of things, what athlete, other than say marathon runners, DOESN'T want more and more muscle? More muscle=more strength. More strength=more success in just damn near every athletic endeavor.

It's natural to see a program that adds heaps of muscle to guys and say "YES! THIS IS FOR ME!"...and by all means go for it. Just know that the program benefits guys who are trying to become ABSOLUTE HOUSES the most, as was intended.

Not trying to bash you, hector. This is more meant as just a bit of a rant.

/rant

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                -1st Heavyweight Gi
                2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Working...
                X