Blast duration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast duration

I read a lot but just didn't really come over this matter. I suppose that a blast last anywhere from 6-12 weeks (or is there a set duration? 8 weeks?).

On an 8 week blast, using three different workout variations (a1,b1,a2,b2,a3,b3), that would mean that you'd only use every exercise two or three times for the entire duration of the blast. Given that, I guess you guys would use the same exercises for many blast (3+), except for a few that might not feel good or that do not seem to allow for progression. Is that right? That would be the only way to get strong on them... So basically you keep most of the same exercises from blast to blast?

One last question, I've been reading that the training doesn't change whether you're dieting or not....is that right, or do you like to reduce intensity a bit, either by doing straight sets or something else, when you're in a calorie deficit?

Thanks.
    Use the following discount code: BDB830 and save 5 to 10% on your order at www.trueprotein.com

Blast, until multiple exercises stall and/or you feel demotivated and/or feel beat up.
    Regular DC's blast tend to last 6-8 weeks, my first blast was 11-12 I believe. Super Supps users often find 4-6 weeks as weights jump faster and thus push things too fast is the explanation given.

Comment

Blasts are as long as you need them to be...my rule for myself is that if I can't beat the log on one movement twice in a row I dump the exercise as long as I am progressing on everything else. If I have to dump more than one exercise in a blast, the blast is over, and I cruise. Other than that, once I start feeling beat up, unmotivated to train, then I cruise, as my CNS is fried. I have blasted for 4 weeks, for 8, and even 12-16 weeks before. It's all individual.

If you are dieting, the training doesn't change until it has to. Meaning, if you get to 2 weeks out of a contest and you are super lean, you might wanna switch to the 3 way, or straight sets to make your sessions less demanding...you keep the training the same until you can't beat your log consistently anymore. Then, you switch things up...but at that point you are just looking to hang on to every scrap of muscle you have...not build any more.

IMO, you can diet and blast away on the two way for a long while before ever needing to change the split. If you are just trying to lean out for the summer, or whatever, than I don't really see a need to ever change the split as it's not that difficult to get fairly lean...if you are contest dieting, then that's when things start to get tough.

Hope that helps.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
      -1st SuperHeavy Gi
      2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
      -1st Heavyweight Gi
      2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
      2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

It does help, thanks, even though I had just found my answer searching around.

I used train with low volume and recently gave high volume a try for 8 weeks to see if I can gain some size. I did gain some size, but it's fairly hard to keep progressing strength wise on all those isolation exercises. Some respectable BB told me that the feel, TUT and pump along with clean form is what's important to build muscle, not strength progression...I just can't buy that idea...

I'll go back to almost only compounds movements and get strong on them, and that's all I'll focus on (which is what DC is about). I'll deload for a week and try my first blast. I don't know if I can cope recovery wise with rest-paused stuff, but the only way to know is to give it a try right?

Simple question while I think about it, do some people use lateral movements for their shoulders instead of presses? I'm usually pretty burnt after two different press exercises (pec, tri), and feel that a lateral raise is all i'd need for my delts.

Btw, if I post the blast that I just made up, would you take a look at it?
        Use the following discount code: BDB830 and save 5 to 10% on your order at www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Originally posted by bernimx View Post
          Simple question while I think about it, do some people use lateral movements for their shoulders instead of presses? I'm usually pretty burnt after two different press exercises (pec, tri), and feel that a lateral raise is all i'd need for my delts.

Btw, if I post the blast that I just made up, would you take a look at it?
          More advanced guys do lateral movements as more of a widow for lagging arms sometimes (Cedric McMillian comes to mind), but the meat and potatoess are presses. I say, man up and press! kidding, but seriously...try laterals if you want, but don't be shocked when you stall on them quickly. It's much more prudent to select movements where you can progress over months and months and months and years, frankly.

And yes, post up a blast and I, and I am sure others, will be more than happy to give you suggestions.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
          -1st SuperHeavy Gi
          2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
          -1st Heavyweight Gi
          2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
          2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

...Simple question while I think about it, do some people use lateral movements for their shoulders instead of presses? I'm usually pretty burnt after two different press exercises (pec, tri), and feel that a lateral raise is all i'd need for my delts.
            I could be misunderstanding this, but the way this sounds, are you doing shoulders after tris? If so, you shouldn't be and that might be why you are too burned out to do presses for shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
              I could be misunderstanding this, but the way this sounds, are you doing shoulders after tris? If so, you shouldn't be and that might be why you are too burned out to do presses for shoulders.
              I've neved trained DC before.

What I meant is, when I used to have a push day (pec-tri-delt), I usually used two presses and then a lateral movement. I always found three presses to be overkill..

Comment

I've neved trained DC before.

What I meant is, when I used to have a push day (pec-tri-delt), I usually used two presses and then a lateral movement. I always found three presses to be overkill..
                Gotcha.

Comment

Alright. Here is what I came up with. Note that there is no smith machine in my gym so I gotta deal with that. I chose higher rep ranges than usual on some exercises based on my feeling on them from experience.

A1
                  Incline machine hammer press (15-25rp)
                  Military press (11-20rp)
                  Reverse grip bench press (11-20rp)
                  Rack chins (15-20rp)
                  Rack deadlift (5-8reps) + (9-15reps)

B1
                  1 hand db curl (11-20rp)
                  Pinwheel curl (11-20ss)
                  Leg press calf raise (11-20ss)
                  Glute ham raises (11-20rp)
                  Hack squat (6-12ss) + widowmaker

A2
                  Incline db press (15-30rp)
                  Machine shoulder press (15-30rp)
                  Dips machine (15-25rp)
                  Hammer grip chin up (11-20rp)
                  Pendlay rows overhand-grip (5-8reps) + (9-15reps)

B2
                  Incline db twist curl (11-20rp)
                  Ez bar drag curl (11-20rp)
                  Standing calf raise (11-20ss)
                  SLDL (10-15ss)
                  Leg press (6-10reps) + widowmaker

A3
                  Flat machine press (15-25rp)
                  Seated db press (11-20rp)
                  CGBP (11-15rp)
                  Pull-down to front (15-30rp)
                  T-bar rows (5-8reps) + (9-15reps)

B3
                  Machine preacher curl (11-20rp)
                  Overhand close grip pull-ups (11-20ss)
                  Seated calf raise (11-20ss)
                  Sumo leg press (6-10ss + 12-20ss)
                  BB lunges (12-20ss)

Thanks guys.

Comment

Bump for critique, please.

Comment

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is what to expect after a cruise. Did my first 8 week blast and took about 2 weeks of major cruising with just a couple sessions of moderate lifting during (bit of shoulder soreness, forearm strain). During the blast I went from 220x14 RP hammersmith bench to 245x14 RP over 8 weeks. If I kept blasting, I would have been ready for 250 for at least 12RP, so I started there after my cruise. I bombed out at 250x10RP. Is this normal? Do most folks typically start a new blast at their last weights or a little below? I also have been on a creatine deload as well during the 2 week cruise, so that may also be a factor here. Seems like I've perhaps just been successful in strategic deconditioning and ready to rock from here, but this is the first I've experienced a step back in weights. I've also felt like I've shrunk in size during the cruise, so that's probably contributing to my concern...but could just be on account of abstaining from the 3x/wk muscle pumps of intense workouts. Just curious where most folks expect to pick back up after a cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzhugh View Post
                        One thing I haven't seen discussed much is what to expect after a cruise. Did my first 8 week blast and took about 2 weeks of major cruising with just a couple sessions of moderate lifting during (bit of shoulder soreness, forearm strain). During the blast I went from 220x14 RP hammersmith bench to 245x14 RP over 8 weeks. If I kept blasting, I would have been ready for 250 for at least 12RP, so I started there after my cruise. I bombed out at 250x10RP. Is this normal? Do most folks typically start a new blast at their last weights or a little below? I also have been on a creatine deload as well during the 2 week cruise, so that may also be a factor here. Seems like I've perhaps just been successful in strategic deconditioning and ready to rock from here, but this is the first I've experienced a step back in weights. I've also felt like I've shrunk in size during the cruise, so that's probably contributing to my concern...but could just be on account of abstaining from the 3x/wk muscle pumps of intense workouts. Just curious where most folks expect to pick back up after a cruise.
                        Re: shrinking in size, I wouldnt worry about that after a week or two. Be strong in the mind there.

And for me, I dont/wouldnt try and beat the last numbers immediately after a cruise. I pick-up somewhere in the middle, based on how I am feeling, etc. DH made a post about this a while back....

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showpos...&postcount=581

Good luck.

-slide
                        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Working...
                        X