Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Startup Thread for AJ

Hi guys.

I got the DC bug again. I have ran a couple of blasts previously, but was previously limited by not having a well equipped gym and stress from grad school. I am ready to go at it again though and would really appreciate any criticism.

Background: I am not really new to lifting. I keep a log with guys in the brotherhood of iron thread on this site. I am 24 years old and have generally trained for size and strength the past few years. I competed in my first powerlifting meet in March and ended with a 530 squat, 375 bench, and 640 deadlift raw at a USAPL meet. I don't have any meets planned in the future and really want to give this another run since my school stress is diminishing.

I am currently going to start the 2-way split. However, I am concerned for how long I will last with this before going to the 3 way split. Any advice for this will be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I was thinking:

A1
    Incline Bench Press: 11-15RP
    Seated DB Press: 15-25RP
    Dips: 15-20RP
    Pullups: 15-20RP
    Machine rows (could open to a bigger non-machine exercise here): 15-20RP

B1
    Machine curl: 20-30RP
    Pinwheels: 11-20SS
    Leg press calf raises: 8-12 DC style
    Leg curls:15-20RP
    Back Squats: 5-8, widow

A2
    Decline Bench Press: 11-15RP
    Seated BB Press: 11-15RP
    In human press: 11-15RP
    Rack chins: 15-20RP
    BB rows: 5-8, 10-15

B2
    Seated DB curls: 20-30RP
    1 arm reverse cable curls: 11-20SS
    Seated calf machine: 8-12 DC
    Leg press: 8-12, widow
    SLDL: 6-10, 12-15

A3
    Plate loaded vertical bench machine: 11-15RP
    Push Press (not a ton of leg drive, just a little): 11-15RP
    Close grip bench press: 11-15RP
    Lat Pulldown: 15-20RP
    Deadlift: 4-8, 8-12

B3
    Standing EZ curl:20-30RP
    Hammer curls: 11-20SS
    Horizontal leg press calf raises: 8-12 DC
    Ghetto glute ham raise (I raise up the back ext machine on plates and add a band, I feel it well in the hams, any other ideas here?) 15-20RP
    Front Squat: 4-6, widow in smith

If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Also, after a cruise, do you want to start a little light or go right off your old numbers? I always used to try and progress off of what I hit at the end of the blast and I seemed to always get burned out 4-6 weeks in.

I think I read Dusty saying he starts a new blast with numbers from the middle of his old blast. Is this correct? I think a large part of me always stalling out too quickly was from starting too heavy at the beginning of my blasts.

Thanks guys.
    "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post

Also, after a cruise, do you want to start a little light or go right off your old numbers? I always used to try and progress off of what I hit at the end of the blast and I seemed to always get burned out 4-6 weeks in.

I think I read Dusty saying he starts a new blast with numbers from the middle of his old blast. Is this correct? I think a large part of me always stalling out too quickly was from starting too heavy at the beginning of my blasts.

Thanks guys.
    Gonna leave the exercise selection advice to those who have more DC experience than i do.

This one however i have read Dante, Dusty, and many experienced DC trainers mention that you SHOULD NOT start your blast with your previous numbers as this will limit progression. Ideally go back 3-4 weeks in your last blast or a cycle in your training or however you want to go about it and start there. The point being that if you start a bit lighter you'll progress longer, and within a few weeks be surpassing old PR's.

Hope that helps

Rock on brotha!

Comment

Only concern to me is doing stiff legs and floor deads on consecutive workouts, otherwise your plan looks good.

As far as where to reset the numbers when you start up a new blast just go by feel. For example racks chins might have looked like this last blast

+40 21rp
      +45 19rp
      +55 16rp
      +65 14rp
      and then cruise. You shouldn't start by trying to beat +65 for 14, I'd probably start at 45-55 and shoot for the upper end of the rep range. As long as in the back of your mind you know the long term plan of getting stronger it doesn't matter if you start back "too light" for the new blast and will likely help you in the end.

While beating the logbook workout to workout is the foundation of the program, when it comes to new blasts think in terms of ending up beating last blast by the end of this blast.
      Last edited by ScottMcDonough; 05-19-2011, 06:51 PM.
      Use SAM210 for 5% off your entire order at www.trueprotein.com 10% if you order 16 lbs or more! :bb:

Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Scott- I put SLDLs close to regular deads since I wanted the regular deads as far away from back squats as possible. With back squats, SLDLs and floor deads I wasn't sure how to organize it. But I don't have much else for hamstring exercise options and I am too much of a powerlifter to give up deads (or they are by far my best lift so I want to keep them in).

And scott, I tried to add you on FB. Maybe I sent a wordy message to the wrong scott, haha. How long do you think I can milk the 2-way at my current strength level before going to the 3-way? How do I tell when its time?
        "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

Comment

Dude the two way is the best, keep it up as l

Comment

Assuming a MWF schedule I would put the squats and deads on Monday of each week.

Friday of the second week put your stiff leg deads giving you the weekend(extra day) to recover before floor deads

2 way vs 3 way is an individual choice but I'd give the 2 way a blast at least to start off and see if your strength is going up. The workouts are longer but you do have an extra day off from training which helps a ton.

re Facebook: You did send it to me, that's my floating head in a snuggie haha.
            Use SAM210 for 5% off your entire order at www.trueprotein.com 10% if you order 16 lbs or more! :bb:

Now, if you would kindly drop this little debate before I am forced by the voices in my head to drive to where you live, find you, rape you, eat your heart and then go workout with your blood on my hands.

Comment

Thanks. I got it figured out now. Hopefully I can string at least a few good blasts together before I try out the 3-way. I read a post by Dante saying 3.2lbs per inch with an ab outline before considering the 3-way so I got about 10 more lbs so to go.

Comment

Working...
              X