Stuck and don't know what to do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck and don't know what to do???

I've been training for a long time now and you probably wouldn't know it by looking at me. I'm 47 years old 5"8" tall and weigh about 155lbs and around 16-17% bodyfat with a small bone structure. I've tried every training program known to man and every diet there ever was. I don't know if anyone can help me but I'm at the point where I am so confused on what to do that I feel like that mouse running in a circle on the treadmill.
    Right now I'm training with DC, yes I know it's for advanced trainers, but at this point I need a 3-day program that gets me in the gym and gets right to the point, I'm beating the logbook and I like the lower volume training routine along with the intensity factor, I think intensity is an individual factor that we all must find in ourselves and I constantly try to push myself to my personal limit.
    I have battled my weight all of my life from being 192lbs at 12 years of age, down to 135lbs at fifteen and I've maintained between 155 and 160lbs most of my adult life. I feel like my diet is probably holding me back due to my fear of fat, I have no problem gaining weight, it's just that it seems to be mostly fat and I'm looking for more muscle than fat obviously.
    At this point in my life my goals are getting smaller each year I fail to meet them, I really wish to put on 10-15lbs of muscle and lose around 10lbs of fat where I'd be around 165-170lbs at around 10% bodyfat. I've worked with 2 trainers, I had to quit one due to hip surgery and the other one didn't help me accomplish my goals. I'm to the point of desperation because I don't feel like I'm getting near the results compared to the effort I'm putting out so I truly am at a loss.

MY diet is:
    4am 36g protein drink, 1C oatmeal, 2TBSP sugarfree syrup, 2tsb ground
    almonds, sunflower seeds and flaxseed

8am 6oz meat, 2 slices swiss cheese, 2 slices pumpernickel bread

11am 36g protein drink, 1oz almonds

230pm 36g protein drink, 50g fast carb powder on training day
    36g protein drink, 1TBSP olive oil on non-training day

530pm 8 oz meat, salad with 2TBSP balsamic salad dressing

8pm 2 small TBSP natural peanut butter

I think this is a good diet but it doesn't seem to be getting me too far. Any help would really be great.

Thanks, Gene

didnt we discuss this in your journal? http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=42910 YOU ARE TO SCARED OF GETTING FAT

1 too much protien through shakes
    2not enough protien
    3not enough total calories

from what ive seen recomended i would start by replacing shakes with meat eggs etc then eat more meat eggs etc if that doesnt work bump up fats or carbs but what do i know? best thing you could do is hre skip for diet homononculus for training if you plan on sticking with DC
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

Comment

Pig, I PMed you. Check it out please.
      If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

Few easy fixes

1. Add more protein powder where you have liquid meals
        2. Add protein to 8pm meal
        3. Switch salads for meat + carbs on training days, keep them on non-training days
        4. Do you do fasted cardio, if not start it?

Comment

Stop wasting time. Hire Skip and learn how to get it done the right way.

I started working with Skip last year and now I realize how many years I've wasted... it's the best investment you can make... honestly...
          True Protein 5% discount code: JVM902

What we do in life... echoes in eternity !

Comment

Originally posted by plateau View Post
            Few easy fixes

1. Add more protein powder where you have liquid meals
            2. Add protein to 8pm meal
            3. Switch salads for meat + carbs on training days, keep them on non-training days
            4. Do you do fasted cardio, if not start it?
            5. Just because you have only 3 days to train doesn't mean you need to do DC, at your weight I would consider a more strenth based routine - check out 531 - main routine is 4 days but this can be tweaked.

HTH

Comment

If you've tried so much and failed I would definitely look at hiring somebody to help you with your nutrition. Keep pushing it hard in the gym, but you likely would benefit greatly by hiring an experienced individual to handle your diet for several months.
              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

First off, you stated that your wanting to lose 10# of fat and gain 10-15# of muscle. Those are 2 mutually exclusive goals. You can't do both at the same time. I don't care what anybody says, it's just not happening. Especially at 48!
                My suggestion would to throw caution to the wind and gain some muscle while your still young enough to do so. That's much, much harder than losing fat. You can get the fat off later.
                I looked at your training journal and you are doing WAYYYY TOO MUCH! You are obviously a REAL hard gainer so you need to do less. If nothing else sinks in let it be this: YOU NEED TO DO LESS!
                There is no way you are going to gain muscle on those calories doing all that lifting and cardio. Just be logical about it and you'll see what I mean.
                Take a look at my training journal: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...t=43291&page=4
                Or check it the millions of hard gainer routines on the web. Forget DC for now and get some damn muscle on you!
                If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

I don't think you need to get around to hiring anyone yet, but you should get a clear goal. You wanna get leaner or do you wanna get bigger. I mean, add some fasted (or semi fasted) cardio and you won't get huge but you need more calories to grow. You're averaging 2500 calories a day. You're gonna need at least 500 more. I'd go for 3000 calories a day, keep cardio in on off days (you'll probably end up eating about 2600 on your off days), then get a good solid routine going and see where that gets you. Count your calories and get enough every day.
                  Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

^^^^ exactly the reason he should hire someone, not pointing you out carlito but my point is even as good as IM is, going to a message board for guidance you will get everyone's opinion on different plans, thoughts, etc and can be confusing. you hire one expert you will get much farther because opinions are like assholes, and everyone's got one or sometimes more than one lol and it's not always the best advice OR it comes from someone just giving out info without a lot of credibility.
                    2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
                    2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
                    2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
                    2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Very good point, I was just keeping things economic. Not everyone has the money to hire a good trainer. That being said, if you have the money and hire either Skip or Scott you'll probably end up looking good.
                      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Working...
                      X