Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rate my routine thread

Hi,
    have done 3 blasts in the past, wanted to see if I've missed anything new in DC land. Took some time away from DC fixed some injuries, got stronger, became a father, and became fatter...

Chest:
    Flat DB Press 20-30 RP
    Incline DB Press 20-30 RP
    Incline BB 11-15 RP

Shoulders:
    Military Press 11-15 RP
    Push Press 11-15 RP
    Smith High Incline press 11-15 RP

Triceps:
    Smith Wide Revere Grip press 15-20 RP
    Dip 15-20 RP
    JM Floor Press 20-30 RP

Back Width:
    Rack Chin 15-20 RP
    Underhand pulldown 15-20 RP
    Close neutral pulldown 15-20 RP

Back thickness:
    Bent over row 2 x 9-12 SS
    1 arm low row machine 2 x 9-12 SS
    Corner row 2 x 9-12 SS

Bicep:
    EZ curl 20-30 RP
    DB Curl 20-30 RP
    Cable Curl 20-30 RP

Forearm:
    Hammer Curl 11-20 SS
    Pinwheel Curl 11-20 SS
    Reverse EZ Curl 11-20 SS

Calf:
    Toe Press on leg press 10-12 SS
    Calf machine 10-12 SS
    Toe Press on hack press 10-12 SS
    ***five seconds of lowering down to a full stretch, a 10-15 second hold in the stretched position

Hamstring:
    Romanian DL 10-15 SS
    Unilateral back extension 15-20 RP
    Sumo DL 10-15 SS

Quad:
    Close Stance Leg Press 4-8 SS + 20 WM
    Back Squat 4-8 SS + 20 WM
    Bulgarian Split Squat 4-8 SS + hack squat machine WM

My immediate issues are:
    1. Do I straight set or the extended set for the romanian deadlift?
    2. Sumo DL for hammies, I did try sumo leg press last week but struggled a bit for it hitting my hammies. The platform is very high and I couldn't get my toes over the edge.

Thanks for any advice

Decline chest movement. Upright row. DL's for back thickness. Switch out a hamstring DL for curl movement 15-25 RP. SS the romanian's. Sumo DL's hit glutes mostly. Hope that helps. Everything else looks great to me.
    :kewlpics:You are correct, Dante did in fact take my avatar pic. lol

Comment

just gonna throw some things I think may help I am not advanced but anyways.

for calfs all ur exercises are straight leg arnt they? Consider tossing in a seated calf raise for one of them. I b think remember reading that you will hit 2 differant parts of ur calfs doing both and only the one is hit when knees arnt bent so you need to be sitting.

other is sumo press. I recentl just did them first time ever few weeks ago and are by far the best hamm exercises I've ever felt. What I had to do tho was try a few light weight sets going super slow with my fett placed in diff postions till I felt it get hit the most. My feet arnt all the way off either but I found that with my toes pointed outwaed hit em more aswell

Comment

Originally posted by hyperintensity View Post
        Decline chest movement. Upright row. DL's for back thickness. Switch out a hamstring DL for curl movement 15-25 RP. SS the romanian's. Sumo DL's hit glutes mostly. Hope that helps. Everything else looks great to me.
        I'm purposely using 2 inclines, will switch in a decline when I stall though.

Upright rows are murder on my wrists and shoulder.

There's only 1 leg curl machine at my gym, and my kneecaps don't agree with it. I could do a standing cable leg curl, but don't feel it has the best exercise to make strength increases on.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
          just gonna throw some things I think may help I am not advanced but anyways.

for calfs all ur exercises are straight leg arnt they? Consider tossing in a seated calf raise for one of them. I b think remember reading that you will hit 2 differant parts of ur calfs doing both and only the one is hit when knees arnt bent so you need to be sitting.

other is sumo press. I recentl just did them first time ever few weeks ago and are by far the best hamm exercises I've ever felt. What I had to do tho was try a few light weight sets going super slow with my fett placed in diff postions till I felt it get hit the most. My feet arnt all the way off either but I found that with my toes pointed outwaed hit em more aswell
          I would if I could, unfortunately my gym doesn't have a seated machine.

Maybe I should persevere with sumo leg press, up the reps to 20-30 I have seen as advice in the past, when I played around with it I only went in the 10-15 range...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by plateau View Post
            I'm purposely using 2 inclines, will switch in a decline when I stall though.

There's only 1 leg curl machine at my gym, and my kneecaps don't agree with it. I could do a standing cable leg curl, but don't feel it has the best exercise to make strength increases on.

Thanks
            Are you using a wide grip? Do them like this and it shouldn't feel bad on your wrists:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut1.htm (skip to around 7:00)

Another option is snatch grip high pulls (don't drop the barbell every rep). The lateral raise machine is an interesting option as well.
            Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
              For clarification, if I can recall from basic ex phys, when you have a bent knee, you are soley contracting the gastrocemius of your calf " (the meatiest portion), when standing you are able to contract both the gastroc and the soleus together, hitting the calf a bit differently.

Or it might be flipped, I can't remember, GOOGLE IT!!

To the op:

The only thing I would change is adding in some kind of dead for back, and also ditching pulldowns in favor of either weighted chins or another rack chin variation....once I started ditching pulldowns, and started working on chinning more weight...EVERYTHING started growing bigger and thicker in my lats.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
              -1st SuperHeavy Gi
              2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
              -1st Heavyweight Gi
              2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
              2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Sorry Lock it up. You are backwards. A bent knee generally hits the soleus more than the gastroc because it originates at the top of the tibia and fibula (it doesn't cross the knee joint like the gastroc does which inserts on the femoral condyles). So when the knee is straight, the gastroc is more on stretch which increasing its recruitment.
                "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                  Are you using a wide grip? Do them like this and it shouldn't feel bad on your wrists:

Another option is snatch grip high pulls (don't drop the barbell every rep). The lateral raise machine is an interesting option as well.
                  I must admit to having not used a wide grip, haven't done the exercise itself for a good 5 years so worth a try!

Snatch grip high pulls - hadn't thought about them - good call!

Lat machine is a good call - but like the hamstring machine the new one does not agree with my structure!

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                    The only thing I would change is adding in some kind of dead for back, and also ditching pulldowns in favor of either weighted chins or another rack chin variation....once I started ditching pulldowns, and started working on chinning more weight...EVERYTHING started growing bigger and thicker in my lats.
                    I want to keep horizontal rows for thickness as my shoulders are happier when I keep my pulling and pushing more equal. Have had a few shoulder issues and experience tells me that this helps more than most other things.

I have struggled to progress chins and pull-ups in previous blast, on DC training I noticed I suck at reps on these moves! But I will switch these in when I stall. Close grip neutral pulldowns from the past work well for my width. I guess I could try chin-up grip rack chins.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post

Oh man, this was excellent. I personally had only ever known the form for an upright row that emphasizes trap recruitment. Honestly I never felt my delts involved in an upright row except maybe some rear delts. Props

Comment

Originally posted by plateau View Post

Thanks
                        If you still want to do them, try using a close grip V handle on a low cable. Much easier on the wrists
                        Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                          If you still want to do them, try using a close grip V handle on a low cable. Much easier on the wrists
                          Thanks for the advice but the position for the shoulders would be even more internally rotated, then adding load doesn't seem sensible (for me) given my injury history.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
                            Sorry Lock it up. You are backwards. A bent knee generally hits the soleus more than the gastroc because it originates at the top of the tibia and fibula (it doesn't cross the knee joint like the gastroc does which inserts on the femoral condyles). So when the knee is straight, the gastroc is more on stretch which increasing its recruitment.
                            Haha, like I said, it might have been flipped

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                            -1st Heavyweight Gi
                            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Working...
                            X