straight sets still ok ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight sets still ok ?

I read on dc old article that people with bad recovery shouldn't do rp but straight set instead. Does he still stand by this?

coming to think I am overtraining most my upper body as most is rp set and most of my legs are just a single set with widow maker and my lifts and size on legs are exploding at a rate I've never seen. While upper body lifts are not progressing much and most none this week.

so thinking I should just do straight sets for most the upper body. Any insight?

What's your progression rate been on leg exercises? And what has has it been on upper body exercises? Oh, and what sort of RP rep range are you using for upper body work?
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

leg exercises have been going up 5 or 10lbs or 3 reps or even more weight. Its going great. Upper body. I've rest paused heavy some reps I've hit 4 to 6 first set. And last week and now this week I've failed to progress on half my exercises.

Comment

I don't got my log book on me. But some stuff like pull downs for back is around 8 to 10 reps first set and that went horrible this week. So maybe I'm not recovering? But most of my reps are low and very heavy for me that is.

Comment

Your reps are too low. I don't train DC, but I've used rest-pause in the past and a 4-6 rep range on the initial set makes it impossible to get any more on the subsequent sets. Read the stickies in the DOGG Pound and check out the journals of the guys on here that do train DC. The rep ranges are considerably higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            leg exercises have been going up 5 or 10lbs or 3 reps or even more weight. Its going great. Upper body. I've rest paused heavy some reps I've hit 4 to 6 first set. And last week and now this week I've failed to progress on half my exercises.
            You probably started too heavy and are using too low of a rep range (IMO 11 rep, which is the bare minimum, is still too low and most people should go with a rep range of 15-20). My way of RP is a bit different from Dante's but the idea for me is to use my 8RM when I start a new exercise (which would ring true if you're new to using RP). So for instance I'd do it like this (let's say I'm aiming for 15 reps RP):

8-10 reps. 15 deep breaths. 4 or 5 reps. 15 deep breaths. 3 or 2 reps (though I usually don't let myself go under 3 reps, and prefer not to hit 3 reps in the last set). If you're getting 6 reps in in your first RP set, then you're not doing it right. That's acceptable when you've upped the weight the session before that, but not when you're first starting RP.
            Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

ok guys thanks I'm gonna lower my weight on my sets than. I was just under the assumption that heavy low rep like powerlifting style was best for increasimg strength. But now that you mention it I do see alot of guys getting 20 total rp sets.

so first set should have a goal of 8 to 10 reps. And when I reach a total rp set of what 20? Or less or more? Should I increase weight.

and either of you know if widow makers are best left just after quads n back thickness? Or ok for some other exercises to? Cause so far I been following program exactly as dc said. M w f type split . Stretchs. Slow negitives etc

Comment

Do it as written, don't do any extra, use 15 as a total getting 8-10 on your first set. Later in a year or so you might think about a diff rep range.......

Look at how many views you got AND HOW FEW RESPONCES this is because people post this stuff all the time and everyone thinks....this guy needs to read the stickies, he hasn't done his homework, why should I help him, It's all there.

Just read some more dude and you will be fine.
                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                X