what tricep exercises for dc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what tricep exercises for dc

hey fellas. What's some good tricep exercises for dc? I been doing dips. Which I feel amazing. But basic skull crushers and reverse grip bench I am not feeling it at all rly for triceps.

exercises that has worked before for me were dips which I'm still doing. And rope pushdown v bar pushdowns on cables and behind head dumbell over head extension.

but as far as I know those arnt good mass builders for dc training. Any tips or advice

I don't train DC style, but I've read alllllllll about tricep training on DC. So search, search, and do some more searching.

Besides, have you over time found what methods work good for you besides dips? Experience is pretty important for stuff like DC.

Not trying to be a douche, honest.

Comment

Originally posted by btech View Post
      I don't train DC style, but I've read alllllllll about tricep training on DC. So search, search, and do some more searching.

Besides, have you over time found what methods work good for you besides dips? Experience is pretty important for stuff like DC.

trying to be a douche, honest.
      fixed
      Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
      -John Ceasar

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
        hey fellas. What's some good tricep exercises for dc? I been doing dips. Which I feel amazing. But basic skull crushers and reverse grip bench I am not feeling it at all rly for triceps.

exercises that has worked before for me were dips which I'm still doing. And rope pushdown v bar pushdowns on cables and behind head dumbell over head extension.

but as far as I know those arnt good mass builders for dc training. Any tips or advice
        This is VERY important. "Feeling" something isn't important at all. Again..."feeling" is NOT important. What IS important is if you can progress big time on it. How is your progress with the the skull crushers and the reverse grip benches? The biggest mass builders are usually the hardest to "feel" in a particular muscle. Where do you "feel" deadlifts? How about squats? Heavy military presses? What you concentrate on is doing better than you did the time before. Simple.
        2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
        2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
        2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
        1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
        + more

Comment

Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
          This is VERY important. "Feeling" something isn't important at all. Again..."feeling" is NOT important. What IS important is if you can progress big time on it. How is your progress with the the skull crushers and the reverse grip benches? The biggest mass builders are usually the hardest to "feel" in a particular muscle. Where do you "feel" deadlifts? How about squats? Heavy military presses? What you concentrate on is doing better than you did the time before. Simple.
          damn, post of the week?
          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
          -John Ceasar

Comment

awsome thanks man. Squats I do not feel in my quads at all really. And my quads didn't grow till I didsquats and now there up there with my best body parts so I understand what ur saying.

now skull crushers no not really progressing I actually have to switch it this week. Dips going the best so far and reverse grip bencj is slow progressing so far. Would a v bar push down on cable be good or to much of a pussy exersize for mass and dc training? They have felt good before on normal volume training but that's when I did like 5 excersies a workout you know. And dc is giving me best gains ever.

so if pushdowns can't be used what other suggests might you have?

also do you do dc training or just post on here ? Judging by ur pic I'd really like to hear ur advice thanks

Comment

Try triceps pullovers and your triceps will be sore like never before. I also like close-grip smith machine presses.
              Save 5% at www.truenutrition.com with the Discount Code TEI736!

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                awsome thanks man. Squats I do not feel in my quads at all really. And my quads didn't grow till I didsquats and now there up there with my best body parts so I understand what ur saying.

now skull crushers no not really progressing I actually have to switch it this week. Dips going the best so far and reverse grip bencj is slow progressing so far. Would a v bar push down on cable be good or to much of a pussy exersize for mass and dc training? They have felt good before on normal volume training but that's when I did like 5 excersies a workout you know. And dc is giving me best gains ever.

so if pushdowns can't be used what other suggests might you have?

also do you do dc training or just post on here ? Judging by ur pic I'd really like to hear ur advice thanks
                Originally posted by eggwhites View Post
                Try triceps pullovers and your triceps will be sore like never before. I also like close-grip smith machine presses.

I train DC. I have used pushdowns before, and have had some success with them. They aren't really a top tier exercise, but you can certainly use them. I would suggest the alternatives that eggwhites suggested, and even close grips with the BB. Good luck mang.
                2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
                2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
                2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
                1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                + more

Comment

I tried dumbell floor presses (neutral grip) after reading that it was a favourite of Phil Hernon... they are hard and burn like hell

Comment

Pushdowns are a good movement but the rate of progress is very limited, and as the weight gets heavier a lot of people have a tendency to use a shitload of momentum to do pushdowns properly.
                    I like lying tricep extensions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AZebtYyA0, I do them like this), PJR pullovers and reverse grip benching. I sort of agree with Skip's philosophy on tricep training in the sense that long head work is more important because the short head already gets hit plenty during pressing and benching, but I won't doubt that a 3 plate close grip bench won't net you some nice looking triceps, so just experiment a little.
                    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by betito View Post
                      I tried dumbell floor presses (neutral grip) after reading that it was a favourite of Phil Hernon... they are hard and burn like hell
                      :iagree: This is a great tricep movement. 15 - 30 RP
                      Stimulation through annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by betito View Post
                        shit i gotta try these!!

Comment

Add this to a stickie! Damn good one!
                          If it's not fun, don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                            Pushdowns are a good movement but the rate of progress is very limited, and as the weight gets heavier a lot of people have a tendency to use a shitload of momentum to do pushdowns properly.
                            I like lying tricep extensions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AZebtYyA0, I do them like this), PJR pullovers and reverse grip benching. I sort of agree with Skip's philosophy on tricep training in the sense that long head work is more important because the short head already gets hit plenty during pressing and benching, but I won't doubt that a 3 plate close grip bench won't net you some nice looking triceps, so just experiment a little.
                            True, true...

Although there are better alternatives for triceps, I've alleviated this problem by putting on a dip belt with a plate attached as I did heavier pushdowns. It keeps you very planted so you don't use your upper body to heave the weight down. Higher rep range to save the elbows and prevent too much upper-body english. Saw Dorian Yates doing these in his video. Clever.
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

A current DC forum sticky:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=19251

Mythbusters: Dc Approved????
                              It's been brought up time and time again so i thought I would take this opportunity to help dispel this myth......
                              Dante himself has stated that there is NO DC APPROVED EXERCISE LIST!
                              You may see some floating around in internet world but it was not a list created by Dante.
                              Now regarding the exercises you should use:
                              Are there exercises that are "better or more suited for" DC training? ABSOLUTELY!
                              But does this mean you cannot do a certain exercise if you feel very strongly that you need it? NO IT DOES NOT.
                              However, keep in mind you have limited opportunity to spur growth with basically only 3 exercises for each muscle group. Choose wisely...... big, basic, compounds are usually the best bet.

When choosing your exercises ask yourself these 3 questions:
                              1) Does this exercise adequately hit the intended target muscle?
                              2) Can I make progress in the amount of weight I can use on this particular exercise throughout the length of my blast?
                              3) Can I take this exercise to the required failure point in a relatively safe manner so that I improve my chances of remaining injury free (and others...lol)?

Here's an old thread also discussing this:
                              http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....hlight=Blakely
                              I've got to add a few opinions here, if I may.

---If you're still having trouble figuring out a basic set of exercises that work well for you, to at least some degree, then this MAY suggest you're not experienced enough to really reap the rewards of DC training.

---A KidRok wrote above in the old sticky about this topic, in my opinion, you DO need to know that you're hitting the target muscle, and (all due respect LDC, of course) this comes from how you feel the exercise, in part, and ALSO comes from how you're doing the exercise. At one end of the spectrum, you can have a beginner (this always boggles my mind) doing an isolation type exercise like a triceps press down or a knee extension and not be able to name or locate the muscle moving the weight. Some exercises are great for putting on size, focusing the stress on the targeted muscle (group) but don't do shit for someone who can't do the exercise correctly.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are also biomechanics and even form issues in advanced lifters that mean they don't get much out of your basic lifts. This is why Dante has said you "Need to get freaky" sometimes to bring up weak body parts in advanced guys, i.e., be creative in finding exercises that really target the lagging muscle(s).

---LDC's comment and the very valid one that you need to be able to progress on an exercise in DC could be the best advice for someone even who is not highly advanced b/c along the way, they will figure out the exercise, learn to recruit more muscle mass and the nature / mechanics of the movement will then dictate that the target muscle IS activated, because is simply has to be to do the exercise with the heavy loads the person is lifting. I just would not go so far as to say that progression is all that's important and that feeling the muscle is not (meaning it's never, under any circumstances, important).

I had worked my way up to squats with 585 years ago and had a hell of a set of glutes to show for it. I do my squatting, leg pressing, and other compound leg movements differently now and my quads are improved even though I'm squatting less, although I HAVE progressed in strength on those movements WITH THAT FORM.

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Working...
                              X