Sumo Leg Press (15-25 )
    Hack Squat (6-9, 20+WM)

B3
    Incline DB Curls (15-20)
    Pinwheel Curls (15-20)
    Seated Calf raise (15-30)
    Lying Leg Curls (15-25)
    Leg Press (6-9SS, 20+WM)
    Last edited by zoot; 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM.

I don't know what you are calling "calf raises" If you are talking standing machine raises, then add seated calf raises for your 3rd.

3rd shoulder exercise options I would try would be one of 3: Push press (with slow negative), 1 arm standing DB press, or standing revers grip overhead press.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Originally posted by bbjeff86 View Post
      I don't know what you are calling "calf raises" If you are talking standing machine raises, then add seated calf raises for your 3rd.

3rd shoulder exercise options I would try would be one of 3: Push press (with slow negative), 1 arm standing DB press, or standing revers grip overhead press.
      Definitely agree with the push press and a slow negative, great shoulder builder.
      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

The calf raises in there are standing, didn't think about seated calf raises.

And I'll add the push press in then too

Comment

yes push presses are a great builder. One more thing I noticed, and this is just my opinion **I AM NO EXPERT IN DC PROGRAMMING** but if you plan on keeping the DB Fly in there, I would bump the reps up on to the 20-30 RP range. I think you will find you can progress more over the long term with a higher rep range there. But like I said, do what feels right for you. Good luck on your blast
          Last edited by Michael Travis; 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
            yes push presses are a great builder. One more thing I noticed, and this is just my opinion **I AM NO EXPERT IN DC PROGRAMMING** but if you plan on keeping the DB Fly in there, I would bump the reps up on to the 20-30 RP range. I think you will find you can progress more over the long term with a higher rep range there. But like I said, do what feels right for you. Good luck on your blast
            That makes sense, I didn't think about changing the rep range when I put it up there which is why it was 11-15.

Comment

I wouldn't keep the flat db fly personally. If I was gonna do a dumbell movement, it would be either flat or incline PRESS, not a fly. I think most would top out fairly quickly on flies with weight, and just the stretch of doing consistently more weight (possibly more than you can really handle) could be asking for disaster imo.....I know some guys do big weight with flies, but they are also doing MUCH bigger weight with presses....Plus, for me, flies make my shoulders scream, and the popping noises that come out of my shoulders are scary...lol
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Jeff....Not to hijack the thread but what is the width you normally use for this exercise in terms of grip. Wide or regular shoulder width apart???

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                  I wouldn't keep the flat db fly personally. If I was gonna do a dumbell movement, it would be either flat or incline PRESS, not a fly. I think most would top out fairly quickly on flies with weight, and just the stretch of doing consistently more weight (possibly more than you can really handle) could be asking for disaster imo.....I know some guys do big weight with flies, but they are also doing MUCH bigger weight with presses....Plus, for me, flies make my shoulders scream, and the popping noises that come out of my shoulders are scary...lol
                  I agree, which is why I edited it and said "if" you plan on keeping them in.. I know my shoulders wouldnt like it, nor would I progress very far.. If anything, perhaps a press-fly, where you fly on the way down and press up if that makes sense... I just didnt say that, since I do not feel qualified on what people should and shouldn't include in their blast, as I havent been doing this long enough to guide others, just opinions. But having an incline BB and decline already, maybe he should go with hammer strength press? Not sure, but bottom line, I agree with you about the flyes..
                  Last edited by Michael Travis; 05-01-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

, 1 arm standing DB press, .
                    Jeff , are you doing those as push press?
                    I am thinking about incorporating those to my rotation.
                    "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
                    J.M.

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                      I agree, which is why I edited it and said "if" you plan on keeping them in.. I know my shoulders wouldnt like it, nor would I progress very far.. If anything, perhaps a press-fly, where you fly on the way down and press up if that makes sense... I just didnt say that, since I do not feel qualified on what people should and shouldn't include in their blast, as I havent been doing this long enough to guide others, just opinions. But having an incline BB and decline already, maybe he should go with hammer strength press? Not sure, but bottom line, I agree with you about the flyes..
                      DB fly is actually easier on my shoulders than flat press. I hate flat press with a passion and would rather do an exercise that worked my chest more which is why I put DB fly in there. If needed I can replace it with cable crossover, but I don't really see the difference between the 2 exercises.

I'm going for hypertrophy with this blast and DB flyes have always been great for my chest in the past.

Plus, these posts kind of reinforced my opinion on flat press.

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
                      I say why even bother with flat press? There's plenty of other options available that will give you the same results with less injury risk.
                      Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                      I'm not expert so I'm not gonna answer your question, but I also started out benching and pretty soon realized it wasn't a very good exercise, both for my shoulder health and chest activation(Long arms, front delt dominant) so I now use mostly incline movements for chest.
                      Originally posted by LearningDC View Post
                      Believe it or not, my chest is always WAY more sore from floor presses than bench presses. Also, keep in mind, none of the barbell presses are really "chest" exercises. They are pressing movements that pretty much use the pressing muscles ie. front delsts triceps AND chest. Movements that converge will always be more of a "chest" exercise. That being said, anyone that wants to get bigger should be doing big movements, and barbell presses of any variety fall into that category.
                      Last edited by zoot; 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Well, cable crossovers are def not a recommended DC movement, maybe for a chest widow, but I don't know. Presses, not flies and cables, are gonna allow you to progress and move big weights in the end. That is the key...I really doubt you will progress much with flies or ANY cable movement for chest...just my opinion...
                        STEEL

Comment

I've never done DC myself but I've read shittons of posts on it and Dante advises against using flies/lateral raises/kickbacks whatever, "small" exercises if you will, because the progression rate is much smaller. You could maybe hypothetically jump from a 30lb fly to an 80lb one but that's still peanuts compared to the muscle you'll gain from a 220lb decline bench to a 330 one.
                          Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Well then what can I do instead that is NOT flat bench?

Flat destroys my shoulders as I have had tendon problems with my front delt and supraspinatus...My theory is that it's because my arms are somewhat short (I'm not a tall guy) I have to press/roll my shoulders forward just to get the bar off the rack and that puts too much strain on those areas...

idk. just a theory...

Comment

Like someone else mentioned, any Hammer chest press machine, some other reg chest machines that you can progress on (not peck deck) another incline movement, etc....do you only know of 3 exercises for your chest? Look around the gym and pick a pressing movement you feel you can progress on, its not that hard bro. Every gym just about has at least ONE Hammer chest press or other decent machine...pick one and get to it...
                              STEEL

Comment

Working...
                              X