Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC 2 Way in 2021

Let's talk about basic DC in 2021.

Hi everyone so I'll try to keep my description short and then get to it. I want this post to be mainly about basic DC 2 way and things that could be done (AFTER and just after having run the basic outline for a period of time) while still following the rules (so to speak) as set by Dante.

As we all know, Dante got burnt out talking about basic DC for obvious reasons and probably because it was bastardized so often and so much. Also I think it's important to highlight that what Dante has explained since coming back from the shadows on instagram a few years ago and now with the youtube series is for ADVANCED GUYS, and I mean the advanced within the advanced kind of advanced lol. So to all of us that have ran the basic setup in a strict fashion and are still chasing for true size, I think we should stick to the basics.

In my case I have below average genetics...hell, when I came out of high school I weighed 128 lbs and the first time I had a gym membership I was around 130 lbs with like 22% bodyfat. I'm 28 years old now and currently I'm 4.5 weeks post show, my first one ever and I did it at the max limit of the lightweight division at 5'10. Still far from what I want to achieve but I'll take it with what I have as my genetics. For reference, when I worked with Andrew Berry (who happened to be trained by Dante in 06 or so) he told me "man you have poor genetics, you have to do everything 100% perfect to make progress", I don't work with him anymore but those words sticked to me.

Anyways I did my research starting in 2017 in this forum and took endless amount of notes from the stickies, from Dante, Scott, Dante's trainees and whenever I wanted to find out if something else is possible within DC ground rules or a specific situation I'd go to google and type something like "dc calves rest pause site:www.intensemuscle.com" and would only get results from THIS forum and usually find what I'm looking for, so I encourage everyone that has doubts or questions to do that. I also happened to save in 2018 a file from a site that was taken down, which is a full 2 way split routine with all three rotations written by Dante including TONS of notes from him, this was shared by one of Dante's trainees in 06' I believe...he identfied himself as Goonlifter.

I did DC from november 2018 until november 2020, of course with ups and downs (life happened) and then lockdown but still it helped me get to the stage for the first time and completely changed my body composition. Something I would do different though...have more mental maturity next time I run it (which I will later on) as in the later stages I found a new level of intensity and focus which I thought I had at that moment. I'm currently running my third week of fortitude training and enjoying it very much, I'll run it for the rest of the off season which is going to be long and also because I'm not the kind of guy to jump from one training split to another but I know that I will alternate with the 2 way split later down the road because it's just part of my nature.

2 way or 3 way split:

Another thing for guys that think they're advanced and wanting to switch to the 3 way split....I tried the 3 way split shortly after gyms reopened over here during lockdown mainly for two reasons:

1. Gyms had a training time limit of 1 hour only so it was more convenient

2. Later on when the time limit was removed I was in contest prep so my coach and I wanted me to have an extra day of activity (4 days a week)

However my progress rate slowed down and my quad development took a hit as well. I thought it was going to give me a boost but basicaly I discovered what has been said on here since forever...gains are faster on the basic 2 way.

Now onto the meat and potatoes:

Now I would like to share different things that can be done on the basic split depending on the person's needs or specific situation. Again this comes down to being something specific to that person after he has run the split for an extended time and actually needs it. I know Dante or Scott would tweak things for their trainees back in the day because of the same reason. These notes I will write where taken from posts by Dante, Scott, Inhuman, SuperD, some stuff shared by their trainees from back in the day or simply studying their logs such as Shelby's (Copa) in 2005.

I'm gonna take one hypothetical A1 and B1 workout and run them thru diff scenarios.

A1 - Chest, shoulders, triceps, back width, back thickness (basic outline because he needs overall size and not focus on single bodyparts or simply starting dc)

STATIC HOLDS - shoot for 30 seconds but it's almost impossible to get past 15 (statics are not done for triceps and not mandatory for biceps...personally I never did)
    EXTREME STRETCH - in Dante's words, you want to stretch after each exercise preferrably (calves are not stretched afterwards)

LOW INCLINE SMITH - 11-15 RP + static hold after (he could use a 15-20 RP rep range instead if he feels safer doing so or if using BB INCLINE)
    DB SHOULDER PRESS - 20-25 RP (he uses higher rep range because he's using dumbbells and same rep range should be used if doing behind the neck smith press, if not then 11-15 rp is ok)
    MACHINE TRICEP DIPS - 15-20 RP no static after
    RACK CHINS - 15-20 RP + a 20 second static hold after pushing the stretch at the bottom
    RACK DEADS - 2 STRAIGHT SETS OF 5-8, 9-12 (this is variable, the heavier set could be done last...same with the rep range some guys did 10-12 then 4-6)
    -because he did rack chins this day with a strict negative and the static hold, the back extreme stretch is optional-

B1 - BICEPS, FOREARMS, CALVES, HAMSTRINGS, QUADS

MACHINE PREACHER CURLS - 15-20 RP + optional static hold halfway down for as long as you can (because he wants some extra volume for biceps he would raise the rep range to 20-25 RP)
    DB HAMMER CURLS - 1 SS OF 12-15 (he could increase the rep range to 12-20 if he wanted to) (on the 3 way split 2 straight sets of 12-15 is not uncommon, but not here)
    CALF PRESS - 1 SS OF 10-12 DC (5 count negative, 10 count stretch....a 15 count stretch is not uncommon) (but because he decided to use standing calf raises instead and his feet are slipping or needs some variety for the exercise, he would rest pause for 12-15 reps with a 5 count negative and 5 count stretch only)
    LYING LEG CURL - 20-25 RP + 10 short static reps after last failure (if he feels safe he could bring down the rep range to 15-20 rp)
    HACK SQUAT - 1 HEAVY SET OF 5-9 AND A 20 REP WIDOWMAKER SET
    - if his hamstring movement is a stiff leg deadlift or similar, he would do quads first and then hamstrings to finish the session -

Now I will take those same two examples and run them thru another scenario with the added notes in yellow

B1 - Because he has been on the 2 way for a while but needs some extra focus on quads and adductors, he COULD do the following

MACHINE PREACHER CURLS - 15-20 RP + optional static hold halfway down for as long as you can (because he wants some extra volume for biceps he would raise the rep range to 20-25 RP)
    DB HAMMER CURLS - 1 SS OF 12-15 (he could increase the rep range to 12-20 if he wanted to) (on the 3 way split 2 straight sets of 12-15 is not uncommon, but not here)
    CALF PRESS - 1 SS OF 10-12 DC (5 count negative, 10 count stretch....a 15 count stretch is not uncommon) (but because he decided to use standing calf raises instead and his feet are slipping or needs some variety for the exercise, he would rest pause for 12-15 reps with a 5 count negative and 5 count stretch only)
    LYING LEG CURL - 20-25 RP + 10 short static reps after last failure (if he feels safe he could bring down the rep range to 15-20 rp)
    MACHINE ADDUCTOR - 25-30 RP- he adds this to the rotation and bombs it away every time
    HACK SQUAT - 3 SETS FOR QUADS - 1 HEAVY SET OF 5-9, 1 LESS HEAVY SET OF 9-12 (this is an extra set) AND THEN FOR THE WIDOWMAKER he would pick a leg press and do it there on the same leg press EVERY session but rotating the widowmaker rep range (first session 20 rep widowmaker, next session 25 rep, next session 30 rep...repeat and progress).

- if the hamstring movement is a stiff leg deadlift or similar, he would do quads first and then hamstrings to finish the session -

Note on stiff leg deadlift if doing it as one of your rotated hamstring movements....it can be done for just 1 straight set of 10-12 or it can be done for 2 straight sets of 6-9, 10-12 or 10-12, 12-15 (whatever rep range makes you feel safe)

OR STIFF LEGS CAN ALSO BE DONE WITH "DIMES" - after warm ups you would do 6 reps...add 10lbs per side...6 reps...add another 10lbs per side....6 reps...add 10lbs per side...and so on until absolute failure - the only rest you get during the set is when reaching and placing the plates on the bar. BRUTAL.

A1 - Because he has been on the 2 way for a while but his traps are not responding as expected to rack deads or deadlifts and needs some extra back thickness

I will use a different back thickness exercise for this example

LOW INCLINE SMITH - 11-15 RP + static hold after (he could use a 15-20 RP rep range instead if he feels safer doing so or if using BB INCLINE)
    DB SHOULDER PRESS - 20-25 RP (he uses higher rep range because he's using dumbbells and same rep range should be used if doing behind the neck smith press, if not then 11-15 rp is ok)
    MACHINE TRICEP DIPS - 15-20 RP no static after
    RACK CHINS - 15-20 RP + a 20 second static hold after pushing the stretch at the bottom (something uncommon but found every now and then...using a hammer single arm neutral grip row as a width exercise, mostly straight setted but have found it rest paused because it's safe)
    SMITH ROWS - 1 STRAIGHT SETS OF 10-12 (but because he is lacking some back thickness, he does 2 SETS....1 set of 6-9 and 1 set of 10-12) (something very common actually)
    DB SHRUGS - 1 SS of 10-12 ONLY because his traps need some focus and rack deads or deadlifts aren't cutting it (this can be found on Copa's log when trained by Dante in 05 and other official trainees) - IF the exercise for the day is rack deads or floor deadlifts, the shrugs are NOT done, the shrugs would only be on days where the back thickness exercise is a row)
    -because he did rack chins this day with a strict negative and the static hold, the back extreme stretch is optional-

ALSO - recovery capabilities - in my quest of research, I found that it was not uncommon to see guys with below average recovery to be put on 2 RP failure points only instead of the usual 3 failure points per rest pause exercise. In some cases where it was still too much, some usual rest pause exercises where turned into straight sets only. And in some other cases the static holds were eliminated all together.

CURIOUS FACT - as I mentioned, Dante or Scott back in the day would do things differently according to the dc trainee's specific situation AFTER running him thru several blasts. Hence all the notes up here. In some cases, where fatigue was a problem for triceps and they were lagging, triceps where done before shoulders.

Hope this helps for anyone looking to bring up some parts while doing the basic split. PLEASE once again, these are things that can be done after running several blasts of dc and noticing that some parts need attention. These notes, as I said, where taken from here and the sources listed. I have some more, also for the 3 way split (such as dusty's tri-fuckta which was originally used by Dante with Cedric McMillan) but I want to keep this just for the 2 way.

Finally if you ask me, I still think the 2 way works faster and eventually will alternate with it and my current training in my quest to beat my genetics and become a 212 amateur bodybuilder one day. I train balls to the wall if you're wondering, it's how I'm wired.

- Contra.

"It's never too late to be 212"

"...that damn log book"

Super helpful post.
    The promotion of the training methods used by drug-assisted and genetically giften men wreaks havoc, despite these men being presented as demigods in the bodybuilding world. Sure they have inspired millions, but at the same time they have misled millions; and their "intruction" has robbed millions of people of the best training years of their lives.
    -Stuart McRobert

Comment

• Contra92
      Contra92 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to know, man
Working...
X