Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split squat for quads

Hey guys, quick question,

Can split squats be incorporated as a quad movement, whether smith or dumbbell? Thanks in advance

Sure!

Comment

Originally posted by MadLaw4 View Post
      Hey guys, quick question,

Can split squats be incorporated as a quad movement, whether smith or dumbbell? Thanks in advance
      I wouldn’t for DC. You’re not going to be able to use an extremely heavy load and by the time you got finished doing a WM with one leg if you did it correctly you’re not going to have anything left. You really want to use movements where you can push the most weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ds3317 View Post

I wouldn’t for DC. You’re not going to be able to use an extremely heavy load and by the time you got finished doing a WM with one leg if you did it correctly you’re not going to have anything left. You really want to use movements where you can push the most weight.
        That's why I was wondering. Given the fact I don't have leg press, it gets harder to choose 3 comfortable quad movements. From my own experience I know that split squats feel nice on the quads and can be overloaded, compared to lunges, and these are the reasons why I was wondering. Thanks for your input!

Comment

I have no problem with anyone on leg training switching the exercises they do from the 6-8 heavy set to the 20 reppers on as long as the 20 repper gets done.
          -Dante
          He went on to specify super large guys, but he led with "anyone" so I'm gonna do split squats followed by a normal squat widowmaker unless corrected.

Comment

I've used them in the past and had good results. I just did a slow negative and paused at the bottom. 20 reps per set, no matter what. Once I was able to complete more than 20 reps, I bumped up the weight a little. Now that I've had to switch to a 3 day split due to age and recovery, I have been thinking about adding them back in for a single set.
            Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

How are you liking the split squats?

Comment

Originally posted by Ds3317 View Post
                How are you liking the split squats?
                With a dumbbell, the rear leg is not that high in the air.

Comment

You can do on a smith machine to better balance yourself and for safety as well and you can overload and progress very nicely on those..
                  i m able to use up to 285 for 10 reps per leg on those

pretty effective exersice imo

Comment

Originally posted by MadLaw4 View Post

With a dumbbell, the rear leg is not that high in the air.
                    Are you doing them for WM? If so are you able to keep the same intensity for both legs?

Comment

Working...
                    X