RP instead of SS for some exercises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RP instead of SS for some exercises?

Is it OK switch things up and do straight sets for forearms, quads, hamstrings, and back depth exercises?

Sometimes I forget or get lost in the feeling after warming up and want to bang out 11-15 RP reps instead of a straight set. I'm not doing this with anything that would stress my lower back, but some machines and barbell exercises that feel right.

I always do straight sets for forearms, quads, and back thickness. If I remember correctly that's the way the original program is written out anyway...............................
    It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

I was hoping Scott or Dante would hop in on this. Forearms are always 12-20 straight set. Back Thickness could possibly be RP sets if it's a supported row of some kind, but definitely not BB Row, T-bar or deads. Quads are the same are back thickness, but other than some king of leg press and not to mention the amount of cardiovascular output that would be required I don't see RP sets working out very well.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Thanks. I figured the answer would be something like this. After making the same mistake on Wednesday I realized I'm an idiot for not bringing my log book to the gym thinking I could log everything into my phone at the end of my workout.

Comment

Some exercises aren't going to be very well suited for RP just for safety reasons obviously. I also find some are better done as a straight set simply because of how taxing they are. I pretty much cannot RP anytime of free weight rowing movement (not suppose to anyhow), I cant RP pressing movements worth a shit either. I will end up getting maybe 1-2 reps on the second portion so its not even worth it. Just have to experiment and see which exercises suit a RP vs a SS.

Comment

Working...
          X