Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! 17 weeks on DC and not making gains-What am I doing wrong??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 17 weeks on DC and not making gains-What am I doing wrong??

Hi! I am a first time poster and am looking for some help trouble-shooting my current program. I am 46 years old, 6'4" and a thin 220lbs. I began DC training 17 weeks ago in hopes of breaking out of my ultra-hardgainer rut and really love the principles and way the program feels. Unfortunately, my stingy genetics seem to be foiling the plan. I have dutifully logged every rep and set of all 17 weeks and have been beating the book week in and week out. My strength gains have been very impressive( for me at least) and yet I am deeply confused as to why I am not experiencing any appreciable increase in muscle size or lean body mass. I began using Dante's Base Program and, at the start of this process I took a InBody scan and recorded muscle measurements. I started at 221lbs with a LBM of 183.9lbs and 13.1% body fat. I was eating about 1000 calories/day over my BMR, with 300g/day lean protien. After 90 days of following the program, beating my book and feeling stronger than ever, I scanned and measured again and......Pretty much nothing happened. InBody showed that I was now 216lbs with 186.5 LBM and 13.8% BF. At this point I decided to redouble my efforts in the gym and really push the intensity( adding in static holds and 8 sec negatives), along with adding another 500 calories/day(complex carbs and olive oil mainly). After 8 weeks, I just did another InBody(same machine) at weighed in at 222.4lbs with 185.6LBM and 16.5%BF. With all the extra work and food, I LOST a pound of LBM and gained almost 7lbs of fat. I am a huge believer in this program and I am getting much stronger, but I am baffled as to why I am not gaining any muscle....I fully believe that I am doing something wrong, but cannot figure out what the issue is. Please help me figure this mystery out... I am happy to share any and all details on diet, training, supplementation, etc. just let me know what info would be helpful I have it all documented. Thank you!

Here is the problem:
    Inbody.

It is my opinion (and always has been) that BEI is not accurate (yet).
    If you don't believe me, do a DEXA scan which is considered the best way to test LBM and fat mass and compare it to the inbody. Hell, I remember when I had NFL players using bodpods and they sucked but the NFL relied on them for body composition of their players.

Skip
    www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: IntenseMuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: TEAMSKIP1@gmail.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Why dont you listen to your body maybe you need more volume if you're only gaining strength?

Comment

Thanks Skip, I definitely like the idea that this is just a technical issue ;-)

Comment

MUSCLETECH I really want to stay true to the program and not add any tweeks....What would be the best way to add more volume and keep the DC principles intact? Perhaps focusing more on higher total reps in the rest pause sets?
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            Here is the problem:
            Inbody.

It is my opinion (and always has been) that BEI is not accurate (yet).
            If you don't believe me, do a DEXA scan which is considered the best way to test LBM and fat mass and compare it to the inbody. Hell, I remember when I had NFL players using bodpods and they sucked but the NFL relied on them for body composition of their players.

Skip
            I've been using the InBody scan as one more tool, along with my scale weight and pictures and how I feel etc.. After my last InBody i agree that it's not accurate and I'm going to stop using it myself. I believe at this point it is installed at some major commercial gyms as a marketing/selling point for "personal" training and whatever else they can sell...

Comment

Have you tried to ingest even more calories? (I know it can be hard). If you want to weight 250, base your caloric needs on that you weigh 250 now, and then top that off w/ 500 more per day.
              In other words, eat like you weight 250 now and want to gain a bit. High calorie (healthy) shakes can help. (Throw a monkey wrench into that furnace body of yours). Have you had bloods done to check your markers? (Things like high cortisol could cause "lack of muscle gain" issues). Just thinking out loud. If you are working hard in the gym and not gaining much size, its usually other things (diet, metabolism) that hinder many folks. (Hard gainers). As a teen, I would make John McCallums' "Get Big" drink and drink around 5K extra calories per week and ate like a hog. Again, just thinking out loud and sharing what I did when younger and couldnt gain weight. (I realize you are older than a teen, but still have a furnace of a body). At 52, I have no problem gaining weight these days if needed.
              -
              https://physicalculturestudy.com/201...get-big-drink/

~Rot

Comment

Working...
              X