DC training and other sports.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC training and other sports.

I've been doing DC training the last year, with great success.

This past year bodybuilding was my only sport, but before that I used to do karate
    2-3 times a week, but I felt it held be back some, in regards to gains and staying lean. I was also losing my enthusiasm, so I stopped.

I'll be 21 jan next year. 3rd year at University.

Now I'm thinking of starting Greco roman wresteling next year, to impove my grapling skills, increase ground speed, improve grip strenth etc. :Punch:

It will probly be 2 or 3 times a week. I train on a 3 way split 4 times a week with DC training.

So I was thinking of sceduling my training days, and wrestling days apart, and the wresting can be my cardio.(I'm sure it will be pretty intense)

Bodybuiling is my main priority though, so if the wresting will impair my goals substantially, then I'll probably just leave it. :flex:

This is my last chance to try it though(the wresteling) and I'd be very interested to find out how it would fit in with DC training. :dcchomp:

Thanx

I'd drop to 3 days per week with the DC training and like you said, arrange your schedule so your DC workouts are not on the same days as your martial arts workouts.
    If your martial arts workouts are indeed intense, be sure to have proper post workout nutrition.
    CrossFit Champions
    Champions Combat Arts

Comment

I know what you mean. I did karate for 13 years before lifting started to take over and it just wasnt possible to do both to the extent i wanted to do. Bodybuilding won. One major thing that hurt my alot was as the larger i grew the slower my handspeed was. It just alot easier to be 180lbs when your dancing around a ring throwing kicks at some guys head. Im not real familiar with greco roman wrestling but i did do alot of grappling, and since grappling is mostly concerned with technical skills rather then all out quickness i think the lifting should fit in just fine, it'll probably help alot cuz ull have a nice big weight advantage over alot of people. you'll be in great shape too, grappling is without a doubt the hardest form of cardio out there.

Comment

I have the same problem right now, the funny part is, it also deals with karate. I split 2 way and train MWS with TT Karate - but I cant...the exhaustion of this workout is just to hard to motivate myself to go to karate...I´ll probably take a break for half a year or so!
        I just can tell you ManGuy, it's very tough...if you cannot move to do those sports isnt too nice....
        You guys want to save 5% on TRUEPROTEIN.COM supplements + help me out to get some protein to grow? Then use MY discount code:

DAG447

at www.trueprotein.com - only highest quality supplements at "the rock bottom lowest price"! =)

Comment

Thanx for the replies so far, I'd like some more opinions please.

Comment

Not sure what you are looking for. If you are asking if DC training would be great for things like football, soccer, basketball, martial arts, I can easily answer yes.

There is a pretty old myth that football players need to do plymoetrics because it makes you "explosive". The only thing doing plymetrics make you better at, is plyometrics. Same for olympic lifting. If you aren't born incredibly explosive, then bounding around the best you can on boxes will never turn you into a world class athlete. This is an incredible myth that still seems to plague strength and conditioning.

If you want to improve your verticle jump for example, then you strengthen the quads, hips, glutes, hams and calves. That's it. No need for bounding, jumping on and off boxes and all of that garabge.

Simply put, any training protocol that is worth it's salt will strengthen the main musculature of the body and have a low risk of injury. Does DC training do that? Absolutley.

If you need to do MA three times a week I would suggest reading some of the stickey posts here and find a split that would work best for you. For example, if you had MA's in the evening you would simply have to get up early enough to train so that they wouldn't interfere with each other. I've done it before for many years. It just depends on how dedicated you want to be to one or the other.

Comment

I'm training for football/rugby myself along with DC. The extra workouts are a pain, but the strength and size i've built help immensely. It's always nice when you can run over someone instead of just into them.

Comment

Thats the thing, I'm not looking to use DC traing to aid in the performance of a sport.

I'm doing DC training for myself, for bodybuilding pourposes, but would like to know if doing
                Wreseling 2-3 times per week would greatly lessen my gains?

I like the 3 way split and would prefer to stick with that, but if I need to switch to a 2way again cos it fits better with the wresteling I'd be will ing to do that.

Again, Getting HUGE is my main goal, wresteling is secondary and would just be fun and inprove other skills and keep me very fit.(replacing any other cardio)

So would this be posseble? Gaining maximally while using the wresteling as my cardio?

Comment

but would like to know if doing
                  Wreseling 2-3 times per week would greatly lessen my gains?
                  wrestling is harder on your muscles than a fast walk so you need to decrease the intensity/frequency of the program,.....if you do the 3 way split 3 times a week,... or the 2 way split straight setted then you can probably handle the training + wrestling but of course your gains will be slower if you scale the program down because of the wrestling,... how much slower I don't know.

I like the 3 way split and would prefer to stick with that
                  try that and see if you are motivated for your workouts and getting good strength gains.

Again, Getting HUGE is my main goal, wresteling is secondary and would just be fun and inprove other skills and keep me very fit.(replacing any other cardio)

So would this be posseble? Gaining maximally while using the wresteling as my cardio?
                  you don't gain maximally while using wrestling as your cardio,.... but I think you should still be able to gain pretty fast if you tweak the frequency/intensity for your recovery,...... just try it out and see what happens,... if you feel you are gaining to slowly then your diet and/or the wrestling is slowing you down.
                  each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
                  for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Working...
                  X