should i go high reps or low reps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i go high reps or low reps?

hi, i have noticed that when i train above 6 reps like in the 6-10 range my strength gains seem to be very small, however when i hit the 4-6 range i can add alot more weight next time round. Dante says to train in a fashion which will produce the gratest strength gains at whatever rep range. I can add weight at the higher rep ranges but it is much much slower....

So should i go for lower reps?
    Last edited by ChRoNic; 12-12-2004, 08:59 PM.

Who knows? Do what works best for you. The onyl recommended DC rep ranges that I use are for back thickness and quads.

Comment

ok, but how would i rest- pause if i dont go higher than 6 reps?

my sets would be like 6-3- 1 or something

Comment

Originally posted by ChRoNic
        ok, but how would i rest- pause if i dont go higher than 6 reps?

my sets would be like 6-3- 1 or something
        that should be fine,.... well, if you only get 4 reps it could look something like 4-1-1.... not as safe way to train in such low reps, I'd try to get at least 5 reps in your first RP miniset. Try it out and see if it works any better for you.
        each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
        for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

hmm ok would it not perhaps be better for me to do 2 straight sets of 4-6?

Comment

hmm ok would it not perhaps be better for me to do 2 straight sets of 4-6?
            possibly,...... if you do straight set of 4-6 which certainly aint as taxing as a 11-15RP then you might be able to do one more set (it might be more taxing than one 11-15RP set, not sure),.... or just one straight set and train 4 day's a week,..... not sure if either of those options would be better than RP'ing in your case.

Comment

For the exercises that are in the 11-15RP range, I always set my mind to get 8 reps in the first mini-set. That is my goal. After I get 8, I can breathe a bit easier (literally) knowing it will be very hard NOT to get to 15 (or whatever I am going for in that set).

Make no mistake though. I'm not--and no one should--rush through any rep!
              Life is what you make of it.

Comment

Im tempted to go with the 2 straight sets of 4-6 im just wondering if its going to be enough?

Comment

Im tempted to go with the 2 straight sets of 4-6 im just wondering if its going to be enough?
                  at least that is a good start,.... if you feel you are recovering well after few workouts on that you might up it to 3 sets of 4-6? IMO it's better to error on to little than to much and then work from there,.... if it's to easy you will just be able to blast longer, nothing wrong with that.

Comment

@ egill: Yea thats what i was going to do, but after what Raul has said im not so sure...

@ Raul: If the 4-6 rep range doesnt add muscle then why is max ot such a popular and succesful program?

Do you not think that if slow controlled negatives are used in the 4-6 range then thats enough time under tension to promote muscle growth?
                    Last edited by ChRoNic; 12-14-2004, 12:06 AM.

Comment

heres what max ot says on 4-6 reps...

''4 to 6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle. It allows maximum muscle fiber overload and maximum muscle fiber recruitment.

A big advantage (aside from the physiological benefits) is that it's much easier to mentally focus your energy on a set of 4 to 6 reps than it is on a set of 10 to 12 reps. Knowing that your set will be short and intense will allow you to generate maximum mental intensity, maximum muscle contraction, and maximum muscular force. Max-OT, in itself, is a more productive muscle building approach that literally acts synergistically with each technique, component, and principle to exponentially accelerate your results.

Once you understand that heavy weight is the most influential stimulus for muscle growth, you will continue to strive for greater overload. You will continue to get bigger and stronger in less time''

Comment

heres what max ot says on 4-6 reps...

''4 to 6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle. It allows maximum muscle fiber overload and maximum muscle fiber recruitment.

A big advantage (aside from the physiological benefits) is that it's much easier to mentally focus your energy on a set of 4 to 6 reps than it is on a set of 10 to 12 reps. Knowing that your set will be short and intense will allow you to generate maximum mental intensity, maximum muscle contraction, and maximum muscular force. Max-OT, in itself, is a more productive muscle building approach that literally acts synergistically with each technique, component, and principle to exponentially accelerate your results.

Once you understand that heavy weight is the most influential stimulus for muscle growth, you will continue to strive for greater overload. You will continue to get bigger and stronger in less time''
                        so you have been training Max-OT until now?

that the 4-6 reps is the "ideal" rep scheme for building muscle is bullshit,.... it might be for some but definitely not for all. The only way you'll know if it works better for you or not is to try different rep ranges and compare the results.

Comment

yea i have used max ot before and had some sucess with it. But im not talking about max ot. What im wondering is how 4-6 reps with slow negatives and high frequency will work....

Comment

yea i have used max ot before and had some sucess with it. But im not talking about max ot. What im wondering is how 4-6 reps with slow negatives and high frequency will work....
                            well you said that you get much better strength gains doing 4-6 than 6-10 and strength gains are a big part of the equation so it could work better for you??, I dunno.

Comment

ok well i agree i think if you just do 4-6 reps at normal pace you will get mostly strength gains but i think if you were to do 4-6 with a 3-4 sec neg on each rep then you could make some pretty decent gains in muscle mass aswell. I guess i wont know till i try.... Im going go with this and if its not producing much muscle then i might switch to rest pause 11-15reps.

Ill let you know how it goes. :showoff:

Comment

Working...
                              X