Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A choice - more frequent with straight sets, or less with RP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A choice - more frequent with straight sets, or less with RP?

Just curious as to what some of you might think:

Suppose, because of your recovery ability, you had a choice between using the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine, but had to use only straight sets to failure (no statics, RP, etc),

-OR-

Using the Mon/Wed/Fri rountine, but could use statics, and RP.

Is there any advantage to one over the other?

DC has said he likes having a day off between workouts, but could this be made up for in the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine with a bit lower intensity?

I'm thinking the lower intensity might not be the way to go, but I'm interested in what those of you with more experience have to say.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Trader

Suppose, because of your recovery ability, you had a choice between using the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine, but had to use only straight sets to failure (no statics, RP, etc),

-OR-

DC has said he likes having a day off between workouts, but could this be made up for in the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine with a bit lower intensity?

I'm thinking the lower intensity might not be the way to go, but I'm interested in what those of you with more experience have to say.

Thanks!
    Ok do you have a slow recovery or a very fast one?, statics are a very small part of the program...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Not sure yet...

Hello In-Human,

I'm not sure about recovery ability yet - I've just this week started the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine since I'm coming back from and injury, and am still lifting weights well below what I was using pre-injury. This has been about 65% of my 8 rep max, and I've been doing sets within a rep of failure, meaning on most sets one more rep would be failure.

As I get back to where I was, hopefully, another few weeks, I'm just wondering where to go next.

I chose the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine after reading a response DC posted on another board to someone coming back form surgery. In his response, DC recommended the four day routine with straight sets to get back up to hard training levels.

Hard training levels for me are benches over 300, squats over 400, and deads over 400 for reps.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you or others have, and thanks!

Comment

Hello In-Human,

I'm not sure about recovery ability yet - I've just this week started the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine since I'm coming back from and injury, and am still lifting weights well below what I was using pre-injury. This has been about 65% of my 8 rep max, and I've been doing sets within a rep of failure, meaning on most sets one more rep would be failure.

As I get back to where I was, hopefully, another few weeks, I'm just wondering where to go next.

I chose the Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri routine after reading a response DC posted on another board to someone coming back form surgery. In his response, DC recommended the four day routine with straight sets to get back up to hard training levels.

Hard training levels for me are benches over 300, squats over 400, and deads over 400 for reps.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you or others have, and thanks!
        Depending on what kind of injury you are coming back from, I see you are having no problem now, as long as you do not get into an overtraining mode, if you are keeping the intensity down I see no problem doing the 4 day split with straight sets, if you are to sore on one day and you need to train the next day, just take the day off and pick up where you left off the next day...
        "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

In human ,

can you honor us little guys with a pic

thanks
          some where between heaven and hell

Comment

Here's a 3d replica of in-human, notice how thick his arms and chest are........
            Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

not quite as ugly as one had imagined!
              "Never give up form for weight, makes no sense, form is key the weights will follow..."

"Get...it...done"

**RACK's Shitt HOTT Dogg Logg**

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE

Comment

Originally posted by Creator_11
                Here's a 3d replica of in-human, notice how thick his arms and chest are........
                thats clasic
                some where between heaven and hell

Comment

trader...thats a good question..a couple of days ago i was thinking the same exact question...
                  i guess it would depend on each ability to recover...bump for more opinions

Comment

well my biggest question to you wouldbe...why? Why would you want to train 4 days a week when you can accomplish it in 3?? Assuming you are health( in the next few weeks) I would stick with the 3 day aweek...even Danta says very, very few are able to recover completely on the 4 day....How do you know if you have supper recovery ability? Do you get bigger just by looking at a weight??? do you stay relively lean no matter what yopu eat ...have you put on 50LBS of muscle in the last 2 years?? If not don't mess with the gfeneral formula just my worthless opinion...once again ..this is assuming you are all healed up .
                    This girls walks up to me and says " My God you're good looking!"

I say" I know!"

She gets offended and says" WHAT?!"

I said " I know I am goodlooking!"

She said " You're also and ASSHOLE!"

I said " I know that too!"

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Deppsquat, you make a good point. I think the place to go as I begin to appraoch my previous weights is to the three day program. I've been lifting for a long time, so haven't gained anything like 50 lbs recently - that's why I wanted to try the DC approach. I feel lke I've been going in circles for a couple of years now, and want to start making some real progress again.

Still interested in any thoughts you guys have!

Comment

Originally posted by deepsquat
                        ...even Danta says very, very few are able to recover completely on the 4 day....How do you know if you have supper recovery ability? Do you get bigger just by looking at a weight???
                        He's talking about straight setting 4 day's a week, it's certainly easier to recover from that than RP'ing 4 day's a week.

And who the hell is Danta,............hmmmm, I think you are either talking about Dante or Santa,..... I'm not sure :albert: .
                        each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
                        for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

-OR-

Thanks!

Your log book and muscles will tell you if you can handle it. If your beating the log book and your muscle are ready to be hit on that schedule.

The only thing I would see a problem with is lowering intensity: are your just going from RP sets to ST sets or are you holding out a little on your straight sets so you can recover. Only you can answer that. If you can go balls to the wall on your straight sets and still recover and smoke the log book than I would say do it.

I personally think rest pause is better for strenght gains, but as long as you can beat the log.

Comment

I would HATE training 4 days a week. I can barely walk for a good 1-3 days after legs. The last thing I want to do is enter the gym MORE when I can't even squat to get on the toilet.

3 days is best. :-p
                            5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Comment

[QUOTE=deepsquat]well my biggest question to you wouldbe...why? Why would you want to train 4 days a week when you can accomplish it in 3??QUOTE]

because if u could train 4 days a week and get away with it without overtraining then ur freaquency of hitting the muscles would be bigger...u would be hiting each muscle groups 104 times in one year oppopsed to training 3 times a week which u would hit the muscle group only 78 timesd a year...why have 78 growth phases when u could have 104,...BUT thats only if u could recover from training 4 times a week...most people can,t

Comment

Working...
                              X