Knee question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee question

I'm having a slight problem with my knees that I've never had before that I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on. About 2 weeks ago I did my usual DC style leg workout consisting of seated calf raises, lying leg curls, and hack squats. After I finished with my workout my legs were weak as hell like usual and I felt pukey so it was a good workout. The problem is my knees have never really gotten over that weak uneasy feeling. I tried my leg workout last Monday, but after the SLDL I could barely leg press 500 lbs without my knees trying to buckle. They weren't really hurting just weak feeling. I skipped my leg workout this past Friday to see if I just needed to recoup a bit, but they still feel the same way. I hit my legs last night fairly hard doing deads and they felt better, but not 100%. Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I'm doing high incline walking on the treadmill in the morning on non-leg days through the week for my cardio if that makes a difference.

id pass on the hacks and switch to a new exercise for the time being
    IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Knee buckling

It's not uncommon for what you describe to be a problem in the hip actually.
      It sounds goofy, but if your hip muscles get strained or excessively fatigued, they'll have trouble holding your upper legs in place when you've got a heavy load on them like the Hacks or Leg Presses.

Here's a test:
      Stand on one leg, then slowly squat down using only the leg you're standing on.
      If you have trouble keeping your balance as you squat down, and/or come back up, the probelm is probably in your hip.

This same thing happened to me a few years ago, and I always thought it was my knee. The X-rays and MRI's of my knee didn't show anything wrong in the knee, but that's where I felt it. A smart doc finally diagnosed a hip problem, and PT exercises have taken care of it.

Hope this helps, and you're better soon!

Comment

Thanks for the info I'll switch to smyth squats instead of hack squats to see how that works out.
        Trader I can't go to parallel on one leg, but I don't seem to have a problem squating half way to parallel on one leg. I've never heard that before, but it may be a hip problem for all I know. Maybe I should go back to that quack chiropractor I went to several years ago. He claimed to be able to keep people from getting the flu by keeping the bodies in alignment.

Comment

Well...

No chiro can cure the flu with adjustments. The flu is usually viral, and there isn't much to be done about this except ride it out.

If your problem persists, try going to either an Orthopedic doc, or a Family Practice doc with a Sports Medicine board certification. It was these FP Sports Med folks that diagnosed two of my injuries whaen a number of chiros and other docs weren't able to.

Hope things work out - let me know if I'm able to help any further!

Comment

Originally posted by your2slow
            I'm having a slight problem with my knees that I've never had before that I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on. About 2 weeks ago I did my usual DC style leg workout consisting of seated calf raises, lying leg curls, and hack squats. After I finished with my workout my legs were weak as hell like usual and I felt pukey so it was a good workout. The problem is my knees have never really gotten over that weak uneasy feeling. I tried my leg workout last Monday, but after the SLDL I could barely leg press 500 lbs without my knees trying to buckle. They weren't really hurting just weak feeling. I skipped my leg workout this past Friday to see if I just needed to recoup a bit, but they still feel the same way. I hit my legs last night fairly hard doing deads and they felt better, but not 100%. Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I'm doing high incline walking on the treadmill in the morning on non-leg days through the week for my cardio if that makes a difference.
            be sure that your knees are not bending inward (i.e. less distance between the knees than your heels on the platform), I see a lot of people do that while doing leg exercises, it can put some unneccessary stress on the knees.
            each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
            for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

I switched over to the Smyth squats tonight and my knees feel much better. They started feeling better on Monday somewhat so I decided there was only one way to find out if they were ready. The rest of my legs are sore as hell already, but my knees seem to be ok. I guess tomorrow morning will be the big test.

Comment

Working...
              X