Manually resisted bicep curls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually resisted bicep curls...

I recently threw them into the mix just because my biceps seem to reach sticking points much faster than any other muscle group... I know they aren't ideal as a DC style exercise, but I just wanted to get opinions on keeping them in the rotation or dumping them in favor of a more DC friendly exercise...
    Here is how we perform the exercise: After a thorough warmup with dumbells... Sit down at a preacher bench holding a cambered bar from the cable setup (no cable or weight attached to it) at the top position of a preacher curl. Training partner stands facing you and grabs the bar. Starting slowly he pushes/pulls the bar down to the bottom of the movement as you try to keep the bar from moving. At the bottom reverse directions pulling as hard as you can as he resists and keeps the bar moving at the same speed that it was pushed down. Basically we are looking at an isokinetic resistance that constantly adjusts to keep you at the edge of failure throughout - with 6-10 second negatives and positives... once total positive and negative failure is reached, that is the end of the set.
    Works great for really killing the biceps - but there isn't any way to keep track of if you are progressing on it (since the resistance is variable).

Opinions?

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

I don't like it.
    Full range movements heavy slow controlled reps/sets are best for DC training....when you start altering set rep schemes you are altering the system and it's not DC anymore.
    Massive G
    Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

This does maintain the full range heavy slow controlled reps part of things...

Comment

I wouldnt do them, like you said resistance is not trackable. I would to hammer strength preacher or e-z curl preachers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by PTAaron
          well you said that:
          with 6-10 second negatives and positives
          but only your negative should be slow, the positive should explosive so I don't like it (not saying they wouldn't work though).
          each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
          for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

It's dangerous and can lead to injury. Why not do negatives or forced negatives?
            Because DC doesn't recommend that style for a good reason.

Seriously I am not gonna argue with you about it it is abvious you are going to do it but you asked opinons of it and then argue back. Why ask?

I don't see any benefit of it over traditional set rep DC schemes, if you aren't growing on them then you need to re-evaluate rest/recovery diet exercise selection or what ever.

I don't see an advantage of it over what DC recommends as you can just add more weight to make it harder.

Nobody figures out their body in a few years I'll say that I am constantly adapting and fighting to grow and so are people like DC and In Human.

but we stick to the basics the core of DC training and it never fails us.
            Massive G
            Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

well said Massive G

Nobody figures out their body in a few years I'll say that I am constantly adapting and fighting to grow and so are people like DC and In Human.

but we stick to the basics the core of DC training and it never fails us.
              :iagree:

Comment

I don't think I am arguing with anyone, I was just thinking that maybe you misunderstood the exercise I was describing - so I was trying to clarify.

Just asking for opinions on if it was worth keeping that around in the program or not. Obviously people don't think so. Simple as that. I didn't think it was 'better' than doing it the traditional way, just wondering if it was something that could be considered as an option.

Maybe I need to go higher reps on my bicep exercises to get them to keep up...

Comment

Maybe I need to go higher reps on my bicep exercises to get them to keep up...
                  If your biceps are lagging then I'd try that.

Comment

15-30rp

Comment

i wouldnt do those types of exercises with a dc routine because the resistance is not measurable, but that's just me...
                      www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

It almost seems like a strip set to me which is not DC friendly. Because with each few reps the resistance is getting less and less just like a strip set until you can't barely move the bar.
                        www.trueprotein.com shw744
                        The only dumb question is the question not asked.

Shawn SHW744 (<-Geez didnt you just get 8lbs free a couple days ago-lol?--this guy could sell shit to a septic tank-hes got the gift)<-Anonymous

Getting big= (Eating like a king and crapping like a horse) + (Lifting heavy ass weights) < A wise man once said "Ain't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights!"

Comment

Working...
                        X