DC training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC training

I have been posting here for a while, and I got pieces of the puzzle, but I haven't yet put the whole thing together yet. Would someone like to go through the guidelines organized step by step so I can get the full drift of what DC is EXACTLY.

Please don't tell me to look in those stickys either, this is what I mean by I only get a few pieces of the puzzle at a time.

Few things I understand about DC. Its about intensity and using much weight as possible. You like to use machines for negatives I've read.

Reason being is cause I want to do a STRICT DC workout in the gym to get the full effect of it. So there is no guessing. :smooch:

Want me to run you through a sample workout? Here we go... This would be a chest/shoulders/triceps/backwidth/backthickness day.

Chest - Incline Smith.

225 x 10 (reps on first mini set), take 15 deep breaths, go to failure again say you get 5 more reps. 15 more deep breaths, go to failure again and you may get 3 reps. This means (and is written as) 225 x 18RP. You'd then rest with some more deep breaths and do an OPTIONAL static. You'd then pick up your DBs and do your chest stretch.

Shoulders - Overhead Press

185 x 8 + 4 + 2 = 14RP. Optional static, then shoulder stretch.

Triceps - Overhead Extensions

95 x 10 + 4 + 2 = 16RP, then triceps stretch.

Back Width - Wide Grip Pulldowns

180 x 8 + 4 + 2 = 14RP. Optional static, then NO stretch yet.

Back Thickness - From floor Deads

315 x 8
    335 x 4

No static, then stretch for back.

Comment

What you'd need to know :

http://members.shaw.ca/irondog/dcmanual.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by USMuscle9403

Back Width - Wide Grip Pulldowns

180 x 8 + 4 + 2 = 14RP. Optional static, then NO stretch yet.

Back Thickness - From floor Deads

315 x 8
        335 x 4

No static, then stretch for back.
        So we don't streach after back width? I've been streaching after both, hanging with a plate after width then just holding onto a machine and pulling. Which one of those is best to do?
        "I can spank a monkeys ass until its bright red but I sure cant call it a babboon" - Dante

I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by LHDan
          So we don't streach after back width? I've been streaching after both, hanging with a plate after width then just holding onto a machine and pulling. Which one of those is best to do?
          After both back exercises are done, I'll do either a hang stretch or a bent over stretch holding on to a machine or bar. It depends on which exercises I did for back that workout and thus which stretch I feel would be more beneficial.
          CrossFit Champions
          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Originally posted by The Munster
            After both back exercises are done, I'll do either a hang stretch or a bent over stretch holding on to a machine or bar. It depends on which exercises I did for back that workout and thus which stretch I feel would be more beneficial.
            So if you did bent rows instead of deadlifts, you would do the bent over streach? And if you did pulldowns or pullups you would do the hanging streach?
            "I can spank a monkeys ass until its bright red but I sure cant call it a babboon" - Dante

I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!

Comment

I wouldn't stretch after back width, you use your lats in the back thickness so by stretching them I think you might be tiring them out.
              Personally I don't have very easy time getting intense stretches (to little muscle mass to stretch, or too flexible maybe) and that goes for back too so this is what I do:

--I alway's do the hang stretch, I feel that one most in upper part of my lats (right under my arms).

--and usually I also do a bend over stretch which stretches my lower back and also hams and glutes,... I especially do that one after deadlifts because those those muscles are used a lot so it makes sence to me to do this stretch.
              --or, instead of the bend over stretch I might do a one arm door knob stretch because I feel it much different than the hanging stretch,... I can feel that one in the lat deep down to the back and in my lower back.
              each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
              for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

There is the door knob stretch for the back thickness, and everyone knows about the lat stretch. That one HURTS. Lats and back thickness stretches are done after after your back thickness exercise. A little more in depth on what USMuscle did.

(Chest)Decline Bench: 295x9x5x3=17 RP 30 second static
                Pec Fly Stretch with 65s
                (Shoulders)Military Press: 205x7x4x3=14RP 30 second static
                Shoulder Stretch
                (Triceps)Close Grip Benching: 235x8x5x3=16RP No static
                Tricep Stretch with 75s
                (Lats)Wide-Grip Lat-Pulldowns: 230x9x6x3=18RP 30 second static
                No Stretch
                (Back Thickness)Floor Deadlifts: 315x8 365x4
                Hanging Lat Stretch, Doorknob Stretch

Hope that helps.
                5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Comment

I have noticed everyone seems to be talking about doing their higher rep set on deads first, then the heavier one - I find I have a real hard time going heavy if I do the higher rep one first... I have been doing something like: 365 x 4, 315 x 10 - should I be switching it around?

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by PTAaron
                    I have noticed everyone seems to be talking about doing their higher rep set on deads first, then the heavier one - I find I have a real hard time going heavy if I do the higher rep one first... I have been doing something like: 365 x 4, 315 x 10 - should I be switching it around?
                    If that works better for you then I don't see that as a problem (I'm pretty sure DC mentioned that sometimes too).

Comment

Originally posted by PTAaron
                      Thats fine, don't fix it, it works, keep it going...
                      "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

So if you did bent rows instead of deadlifts, you would do the bent over streach? And if you did pulldowns or pullups you would do the hanging streach?
                        Here's an example. If I do Rack Chins and T-bar Rows for my 2 back exercises I'm going to do the bent over stretch.
                        If I do BTN Rack Chins and Rack Deadlifts for my 2 back exercises I'm going to do the hang stretch.
                        If I do Hammer Strength Pulldowns and Bent Over Rows for my 2 back exercises I'm going to do the bent over stretch.

Why? Not sure really. That's just the groove I fell into. Deads and Rack Deads are so brutal on the whole back and lower back that I like to do the hang stretch because it also loosens/decompresses the spine very nicely.

The bent over stretch just feels like the right stretch to do after T-Bar Rows and Bent Over Rows for some reason.

Regardless of which you do, it's 1 stretch after you've done BOTH your back width and back thickness exercises.
                        CrossFit Champions
                        Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Static holding

225 x 10 (reps on first mini set), take 15 deep breaths, go to failure again say you get 5 more reps. 15 more deep breaths, go to failure again and you may get 3 reps. This means (and is written as) 225 x 18RP. You'd then rest with some more deep breaths and do an OPTIONAL static. You'd then pick up your DBs and do your chest stretch.

Ok guys. I think I might be confused on the proper way to do the static hold. I was under the assumption that you procede to do the static hold after the 3rd part of the RP considering your chest in a stressful spot already. Am I wrong?

I have yet to begin this training. I keep holding off due to the fact I want to be as prepared as possible. I have fooled around with it, doing exercises RP, static holds, stretching, even as far as doing a DC workout a couple of times.

I apologize USMuscle if this is what you do because it benifits you more this way. I just want to make sure that it is a good option to do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by huskerfoos

Ok guys. I think I might be confused on the proper way to do the static hold. I was under the assumption that you procede to do the static hold after the 3rd part of the RP considering your chest in a stressful spot already. Am I wrong?

I have yet to begin this training. I keep holding off due to the fact I want to be as prepared as possible. I have fooled around with it, doing exercises RP, static holds, stretching, even as far as doing a DC workout a couple of times.

I apologize USMuscle if this is what you do because it benifits you more this way. I just want to make sure that it is a good option to do it this way.
                            The way usmuscle described to do it is the right way.
                            You're probably confused because you haven't read up on the static holds and everything thorougly. If you are knew to the program and confused, just stay away from the static holds for now and get used to training DC. Its not like the devil is going to get you.

Comment

Originally posted by youi09
                              The way usmuscle described to do it is the right way.
                              You're probably confused because you haven't read up on the static holds and everything thorougly. If you are knew to the program and confused, just stay away from the static holds for now and get used to training DC. Its not like the devil is going to get you.
                              I agree, I'd just skip the static holds for a while,.......remember that static holds are just a very small part of the whole equation and a way to continue the time under tension when you can't do another rep (hell, many here probably don't even do statics),...... most here rest some between the last mini RP set and the static so I'd recommend at least a few breathes (personally I just take another 15 breathes),...... anyway here are some quotes about static holds from cfp:

apache:I want to thankyou for the information you provide. I am curious to see what a Static hold is? My workout partner and I have had hard time figuring you what you mean by this. Thanks in advace for your help.

doggcrapp: ok this can mean different things to different people--but to me it means holding a weight in a power position for a determined amount of time. Lets use incline bench press for example, John Doe has just completed a rest pause set with 275lbs. He takes the bar off the rack and brings it about 4 inches down (as this is usually where peoples strength range is) and tries to hold it there for a true 20 second count. To be totally honest with you its nothing more than a personal favorite of mine to reach an overload threshhold---someone else might want to do burns down near the bottom for 6-15 short reps, someone else might want to do a 20% more weight negative. Ive done all three at one time or another but the 20% more weight negatives were giving me muscle strains and little injuries so I skip them now. Ill do either a static rep or as many burns as I can on completion of my working rest pause set. Its simply a way for me to continue the time under tension/weight when I can no longer do a full rep.

bLKWS6::we didnt do static holds, cause we are unsure if the weight is to be held static at the top or bottom of the movement......bottom makes more sense

Doggcrapp:: the exercise and safety determines where you do the static reps or holds

On a chest press you could do a static hold 4 inches down from the top or you could do static reps 4 inches off your chest

shoulder press--a static hold 4 inches down from the top is usually the best (some machine presses though you have to do it at the mid-bottom range)

no static holds on triceps usually

back thickness --no static holds usually

back width--4 inches down from the top in a pulldown movement (holds or reps) or in a chinning movement down the bottom as many static reps as you can get

quads--no static reps usually and no rest pausing usually--as knee wraps dont lend themselves to rest pausing very well. So with quads I usually have people do one all out set for 4-8 reps and then one all out set for 20 reps (with lighter weight) but both to failure

hamstrings--static hold/reps at the bottom portion of a leg curl

calves--none neccesary the way i have you do calves--ONE set of Brutality which definitely separates the hardcore from the candyasses.

biceps--depends on the exercise but usually its a static hold

Comment

Working...
                              X