No announcement yet.

At what point should I begin Blasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point should I begin Blasting?

I have been trying to soak up alot from the site, and may ask some questions that have been dealt with a number of times, so bare with me. I have been hitting it hard for 4 or 5 weeks now. I do Landscapeing, and only had minimal weights to work with, and normally only trained during the winters, but not extreamly hard. I have been doing this for aproximately 8 years now, but previously worked out very consistantly for about 13 or so years. I know my body pretty well, and have a solid base of training.

My question is, at what point should a fella like me begin full blown DC training? My impression is that I should train intensely, eat imensely, but do more straight sets, trying to beat the log book each workout. To me it makes sense to keep making gains using straight sets until I begin to stall out gain wise, and then increase the intensity using Rest Pause? Does this make sense? If I would make better gains using RP now, I am in for that, but don't want to take it to that level if it is not neccesary, and possibly something leading to quicker burn out.

If there are any links, or workouts, dealing with sets and reps that you can point me too, that would be great. I am natural, and plan to stay that way, so recuperation time may need to be longer in my situation, if it matters as far as advice goes.

Thanks fellas

Jay
    "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau

To me it makes sense to keep making gains using straight sets until I begin to stall out gain wise, and then increase the intensity using Rest Pause? Does this make sense? If I would make better gains using RP now, I am in for that, but don't want to take it to that level if it is not neccesary, and possibly something leading to quicker burn out.
    rest pausing is certainly not neccecarily but would very likely speed your gains if your recovery is pretty normal (which goes for most of the people here) and you are eating enough,...... rest pausing would of course also lead to quicker burn out but again that depends on your recovery ability,.... if your recover ability is pretty normal you should be able to blast maybe 6-12 weeks with the normal program I think.

My question is, at what point should a fella like me begin full blown DC training?
    If your diet is good and you feel you know the program well then you might be ready. You said that you know your body well and have a solid base of training so I'd say that you can go straight into rest pausing if you feel that your recovery isn't bad and you feel that you know the program well after reading about it.

If there are any links, or workouts, dealing with sets and reps that you can point me too, that would be great.
    haven't you read the sticky's???, that's a bare minimum.
    each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
    for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

IA, I think you are ready as long as you have a gym to go to, you need quite a bit of equipment for this program, a home gym will not cut it, I know you are trying to add to your list you already have, but do you have a gym any where by your house, just because you pick three exercises for each bodypart does not mean you can use those in your routine for making the best gains, stagnating or even topping out can be a big problem fast at any home gym...
      "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Thanks for your reply fellas.

Egill

I have read the stickys, and understand the set and rep ranges for the program, I was just wondering if it were suggested that I lead into it first, then what sets and reps would be good preperatory to the program. Thanks for all your comments though.

In-Human

The Gym idea would be great, but they just are not close, or manageable for the bulk of the year. At best I could go to a soft core gym 35 min from the house around 3 months per year. I just don't see it happening. The only decent gyms are close to 1 hour out. I may find out quickly that you are correct about not enough variety, but am willing to give it a shot. I am trying to think of what added variety most of the gyms I have trained at in the past would have that I would use. I have always been one to use nearly all freeweights. I have found very few machines that seemed to fit my body very well, I am only 5'4 or a good day. Most of the gyms I have spent time at the past have stocked Nautilus, and maybe some Icarian, I am sure times have changed alot for the better. I could be wrong, but if I do accumulate a Smith, and a Power rack to go with my high low pully, and Powerblocks, I should have a decent selection of options to choose from. You guys are the experts, but I am willing to give her a go. I am very excited about the system!

Thanks again very much
        Jay
        "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau

Comment

IA, As I said I will get back to you tomorrow on the dimentions and shipping weight and cost on those items you asked about...
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
            IA, I think you are ready as long as you have a gym to go to, you need quite a bit of equipment for this program, a home gym will not cut it, I know you are trying to add to your list you already have, but do you have a gym any where by your house, just because you pick three exercises for each bodypart does not mean you can use those in your routine for making the best gains, stagnating or even topping out can be a big problem fast at any home gym...
            Couldnt agree more--I wont train anyone who trains in a home gym because it got so frustrating to me---the whole concept of switching exercises when you reach a strength plateau and "brutalizing a new exercise up to its strength plateau" gets defeated
            IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

I appreciate your honesty fellas. Could I ask you what I am missing though as far as new machines on the market? Like what would you use for chest for example if he can do incline/decline/flat barbell bench press (I know flat is not popular) Flat/decline/incline Dumbell presses, although they would be hard to RP. Using them with free weights/or Smith, the Flat/incline/decline flys? How many other good machines are out there in the average gym that would increase variety. Same for Shoulders if you have a good set of dumbells, smith for presses, or free weight presses, maybe arnold presses as well. I am just currious, are their that many good machines out there to provide variety in these areas? I have always been one for freeweights anyhow, but maybe I was wrong, and pushing is pushing when using a machine.

Thanks again

Comment

bro how far away is the closest gym? I drive 40 miles to go to mine.
                I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Egill

I have read the stickys, and understand the set and rep ranges for the program,
                  that's good.
                  I was just wondering if it were suggested that I lead into it first, then what sets and reps would be good preperatory to the program. Thanks for all your comments though.
                  If you start the program and want to straight set it for the first blast maybe, then staying around 10 reps is a good idea.

Using them with free weights/or Smith, the Flat/incline/decline flys? How many other good machines are out there in the average gym that would increase variety.
                  It's not really that you need the machines for variety,........ it's more because the exercise (machine) is different so you can change to it when stagnated in some other exercise. And one machine isn't neccessarily better than the other (well I'd go for "compound" machines though), but it is different to what you're doing and therefore you can change to it when stuck.

If you can find some cheap machines (maybe used), adding a few might not be a bad idea, especially if you are doing DC training.
                  each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
                  for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Bigp3,

Yeah, I mentioned it is 35 min away, but it is more like a mom and pop fittness center. They do have some machines, but they would not add much of a variety to the workout anyway. The distance is not even the main thing. For 7-8 months out of the year, I am gone 14 hours a day. I also have 3 little ones at home, that I miss seeing, so to add on another 2 hours with travel time is not an option for me. Even if it were an awsome Powerhouse, or Gold's gym, it will not happen. I could make the haul for maybe 3 months of the year, but I doubt that would help, as I may reach sticking poiints throught the year, not just in the winter.

Egill,

I know what your saying about excercise variety, but with this gym in mind that is closest, I think they have like 2 machines for shoulders that are Cybex, and one is a latteral raise. They have 2 for chest, one pressing, one flying. They have row type machine for back. This is how it has been at the gyms I have seen, I can only think of like one or two excercise/machines in any of those gyms that I could add to a program such as this, and likely I would not even want to add them because of the quality of the machine.

I am not trying to be a pain, I am just suprised that there are a great deal of gyms out there that actually possess a good variety of decent machines that would increase training options for this program. I am glad for you fellas that have them available.

Thanks fellas
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X