Whey isolate cold filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whey isolate cold filtration

Anybody know why the coldfiltration whey isolate on trueprotein.com is more expensive than the microfiltration. They say it is the same process, but it doesn't make sense that if it is the same filtering process and they put extra effort into creating a cold environment that the cold filtered would be cheaper. By the way, I actually just ordered 10 pounds of the cold filtration from trueprotein and it is good stuff, but I'm still curious.

I was a proteinfactory customer before and the owner over there told me that the the trueprotein microfiltered isolates are not ceramic filters like trueprotein claims, they are "polymer" filters that get worn down.

Can someone enlighten me

Originally posted by Jobed
    Anybody know why the coldfiltration whey isolate on trueprotein.com is more expensive than the microfiltration.
    you have it mixed up, the cold-filtration is more inexpensive than the microfiltration...

d
    Last edited by tpc; 11-27-2004, 06:40 PM.
    TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

Ya, I phrased it wrong that time. I apologize. I did phrase it right in a different sentence. Like I said, why is it that the cold filtration is cheaper. It would make sense that if the manufacturer goes to greater lengths to ensure that the protein is filtered in a cold environment that this would make the protein more expensive.

Comment

I was a proteinfactory customer before and the owner over there told me that the the trueprotein microfiltered isolates are not ceramic filters like trueprotein claims, they are "polymer" filters that get worn down.
        Can someone enlighten me
        i will try to enlighten you, but let me first state, that i am not going to get into a pissing match about, this is this, and this is that. i will not bad mouth PF.com as i feel it is disrespectful, extremely un-business like and something i do not partake in. i am not going to compare other companies products to ours, as i feel our quality and product variety stands on its own. and i am not going to question other companies products either.

jobed, you want enlightenment on what type of filter material that is used for our microfiltration. to be totally honest with you, i am not in the processing factory of our manufacturer when they are processing our WPI MF, and neither is alex (owner of PF.com). i can only go by the information and spec sheets that our manufacturer gives us, and it is what it is. we then pass this info on to you, plain and simple.

this probably isn't my place to do this, but we have nothing to hide, since there is obviously some confusion here, and i will try to break it down in simplest terms. the words CFM WPI or cross-flow micro filtered whey protein isolate is a name that is pretty generic in the supplement industry. people use the letters CFM all the time when discribing WPI, not realizing the CFM is a patented process by a company called Glanbia Nutrtionals (www.glanbianutritionals.com). this process uses ceramic membrane filters, and CFM is a fancy name giving to this process that is really not that much out of the ordinary of other filtered WPIs.

ok most think there are 2 type of WPI's, micro-filtered and ion-exchange. but there are way more processes then the 2 above, CFM (cross-flow micro filtrated), micro-filtration, ion-exchange, ultra filtration, reverse osmosis, electro-ultrafiltration, dynamic membrane filtration, radial flow (chromatography), nano filtration and the list goes on.

so are there differences between the above processes... your damn right there are. some processes are more gentle, some consist of higher percentages of protein, some use harsher extracting acids, etc.

so what does all this mean? one process has to be better than the other, right? wrong... as long as quality raw materials (fresh skim milk) and proper manufacturing facilities are used. many people see a fancy name like ultra-cross-flow-osmosis filtration and think, wow that one is really going to get me jacked. or look at price and see one that is more expensive than the other and think it is higher quality, again all wrong. this probably isn't the best for business and i will hear it from dante on monday, but a WPI that costs. 8.50 per lb is not better than an other WPI that is 6.50 per lb.

yes, obviously they are processed differently, some sub-fractions and protein percentages vary slightly. but for our purposes (and this is only opinion), it does not matter. again people, it does not matter. all WPI's are in the range of 96-92% protein, do you really think your body is going to notice a 0.5 gram of protein difference, do you think your body cares if the WPI came from ion-exchange over microfiltration, hell no. now i know many of you scientific nutritional folk are going to reply about sub-fractions, mineral concentrates, etc. dealing with different WPI's. hell, i could go on for hours about the minute specifics, but one thing i have learned over the years, especially since meeting dante, is that it doesn't matter, just get a complete protein down your throat.

there is a whole thread dealing with overanalyzing, this holds true to many other aspects of bodybuilding. so i will end with my DC-esk quote: "the one that over analyzes about WPI specifics is the one that is wasting their time."

i know all you wanted was a simple answer to your above question and i probably should have stopped after i answered it in the second paragraph. but the remainder of this post is to everyone else, as i am seeing many have the same questions and comments dealing with WPI's in the 100's of emails we get a day. it all comes down to overanalyzing. it is kind of cliche sounding, but it is all about "lift, eat, sleep". the specifics are not as important as you think...

thanks,
        doug
        Last edited by tpc; 11-27-2004, 08:28 PM.
        TRUEPROTEIN.COM

Comment

Ya, I phrased it wrong that time. I apologize. I did phrase it right in a different sentence. Like I said, why is it that the cold filtration is cheaper. It would make sense that if the manufacturer goes to greater lengths to ensure that the protein is filtered in a cold environment that this would make the protein more expensive.

that is a great question, but again we are not the direct manufacturer. no supplement company is. just like everyone else, we purchase our raw materials from large processing companies. i can say we obtain our WPI CF for less expense then our others WPI's. but again, do not confuse one being more expensive with quality. it is furthest from the truth. expense does not equal quality.

doug
          TRUEPROTEIN.COM

Comment

Thank you tpc for writing such a lengthy response, even though a lot of it was unrelated to my question, it was interesting and I appreciate your time. Like I said, I just ordered 10 pounds of the cold-filtration from you guys, so I realize that expense does not equal quality. It did not make sense to me to pay 3 dollars more per pound for a whey with the same protein percentage just because it was processed in a different way.

By the way, I looked on your website a couple hours after I ordered the 10 pounds of cold filtered whey and realized that I could have ordered 11 pounds and got a better deal....damnit!

Thanks again
            Last edited by Jobed; 11-27-2004, 11:29 PM.

Comment

great post tpc.

hell, i could go on for hours about the minute specifics, but one thing i have learned over the years, especially since meeting dante, is that it doesn't matter, just get a complete protein down your throat.
              there is a whole thread dealing with overanalyzing, this holds true to many other aspects of bodybuilding. so i will end with my DC-esk quote: "the one that over analyzes about WPI specifics is the one that is wasting their time."
              :iagree:
              each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
              for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Working...
              X