Different rep shemes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different rep shemes....

For quads you can either choose between 8 reps then a heavier 4, a straight 10 reps, and a 8 then a 20 repper. Now if i were to do each of these on all of my exercises would that be ok? The reason is because i would be burnt if i did all of them like 8 then a 20.

For squats i do the 8/20 repper. For hack squats i do a straight 10 reps because i do sumo-style leg press right before and they burn me out. For leg press i do a 8/4 repper because i do sldl's after and i would be burned if i did the 20 repper because the 4 is not as hard on me. I was just wondering if it's ok to do this.

Thnx
    TRAIN
    EAT
    SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

I dont believe DC ever suggested an 8/4 pattern for quads. I think you may have that confused with deadlifts.

The general rule of thumb is if your quads grow easily you can do one straight set of 8-12 reps. If they do not grow easily you can choose the 8-10 rep set followed by the 20 rep destroyer.

So really it depends on how your quads grow. If you are happy with their size I see no reason why you couldnt do an 8/20 for squats and a 10 rep straight set on presses and hacks.

However, I would not choose to do 4 reps because it is easier than 10. This isnt about easy, its about Hell on earth training. I say suck it up and do the 10 reps.
    Through the best and the worst
    The struggle and sacrifice.
    For the true who've remained and the new blood.
    Motivation, undying allegiance
    Striving through the hardships and affliction.
    Every drop of blood
    Every bitter tear
    Every bead of sweat
    I live for this

Comment

Would a person be putting themselves at risk form overtraining if they did 8 reps and the 20 reps for all three quad exercises?

Would they be better off picking one (or two) of the three quad exercises for the 8 and 20 scheme and using 10 reps for the other(s)?

Comment

since my quads are one of my strong parts i think i l just go with 8-12 reps for hacks/leg presses then a 4-8/20repper for squats.

Thnx guys
        TRAIN
        EAT
        SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

My quads ar a strong point too. However they can always improve, I tried the 20 repper on saturady, but I couldn't do it propperly. I used to do, 4 then 8.

Did smith squats 235lb's for 8 reps slow and controled no prob. Then 190lbs for 20 reps, but I got so exausted at the 12th rep I had to stop, then did 4 more reps then 4 more.
          (It is quite hot and humid here b.t.w.)

My legs could have done 20 straight but my body just got too tired? What can I do?

My form is good, slow reps and I go below parallel with feet to the front, close togeather.

thanx in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManGuy
            My quads ar a strong point too. However they can always improve, I tried the 20 repper on saturady, but I couldn't do it propperly. I used to do, 4 then 8.

Did smith squats 235lb's for 8 reps slow and controled no prob. Then 190lbs for 20 reps, but I got so exausted at the 12th rep I had to stop, then did 4 more reps then 4 more.

My legs could have done 20 straight but my body just got too tired? What can I do?

My form is good, slow reps and I go below parallel with feet to the front, close togeather.

thanx in advance.
            you say that you could have done the 20 rep set straight but you body was just too tired,..... so did your lungs gave out? do you do some cardio on your off day's?
            each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
            for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

JN, Sometimes if you have your routine set up to where your Ham and your Quad exercises are two very tough ones, you can either switch for the next rotation or as with SLDL or Sumos you can do those after Quads, its not always a good idea to waste your Hams and then expect to get 110% out of Quads, so its choice here...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                JN, Sometimes if you have your routine set up to where your Ham and your Quad exercises are two very tough ones, you can either switch for the next rotation or as with SLDL or Sumos you can do those after Quads, its not always a good idea to waste your Hams and then expect to get 110% out of Quads, so its choice here...
                thnx for the input IH. i will experiment and see what works best for me....
                TRAIN
                EAT
                SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

I realized the reason is I'm just not getting enough carbs to do high reps. ('Im cutting, low carb)

So I'm just gonna switch to a 6rep set and then a 10or so rep set for quads.

Comment

try using less weight on the 20 repper! hell if it means you have to go to 135 then that is what you have to use ...build fom there.
                    This girls walks up to me and says " My God you're good looking!"

I say" I know!"

She gets offended and says" WHAT?!"

I said " I know I am goodlooking!"

She said " You're also and ASSHOLE!"

I said " I know that too!"

Comment

I prefer doing the 4/8, 20 rep scheme on squats, hacks and leg presses. I like the 20 rep scheme for all ham exercises. Sumos happen to land on the same day I do leg presses. 20 deep rep sumos and a 4/8, 20 for presses make my legs burn like no other.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManGuy

thanx in advance.
                        Is that your first time doing a 20 repper? That's how I'm reading it. If it is, just build up to it, I know I had problems doing the full 20 the first time I did them. Just take it one week at at time, or like deepsquat said, lighten the load.

Also, are you eating carbs before lifting? I understand if you are low carbing it, but you need your energy to lift.
                        "I can spank a monkeys ass until its bright red but I sure cant call it a babboon" - Dante

I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!

Comment

Yea, it's my first time, and this is only the second time I did smith squats ever.

I always did 8 reps then 4, or rest pause on leg press.

So maybe the combo knocked me out.

I'll see next time, the weight was fine, my legs are strong enough, I was just exhausted, felt like passing out.

I've been dieting for awhile too, so maybe I should take a carb up day, to regain my strength.

Comment

Working...
                          X