Rest Pause problem/question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest Pause problem/question

I’ve been training DC style for about 4 weeks now and I’ve made some of the best gains of recent years (up 8lbs to 262. Even more amazing, from my perspective at least, is that I’ve been clean for the last 4 weeks), but I have run into a few problems:

1) The first is regarding the rest pause set. Reading the DC training threads I get the impression I should be doing something like 8+4+3reps, but I can’t get anyway near this number of RP reps. The last time I did DB shoulder press I got 10+0+0, cable curls 9+2+1, bench press 11+1+1 and it’s pretty much the same for everything except triceps exercises. I’m taking about 20secs rest between sets as well (I find it easier to time it rather than count breaths). I presume this is indicative of my fibre type ratio (high %FT?). Regardless, what should I do? Should I just accept it? Should I up the rep range (15+1+1 as opposed to 11+1+1)? Or maybe I should increase the rest time between sets (30secs maybe)?

2) Imagine a big potato with two straws sticking out of it, that’s what my upper body looks like. I’m 262 with the arms of someone half my size. Am I right in saying that for lagging arms I should just up the rep range? Bearing in mind my problem above, should I go for say 20+2+1? I was thinking maybe I should include one extra straight set for my bi’s and one for my tri’s?

Thanks

Well for DB shoulder press, you're going to REALLY tax yourself lifting those DB's over your head for the 2 mini-sets. That may be why you can't lift any more reps...
    Life is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom
      2) Imagine a big potato with two straws sticking out of it, that’s what my upper body looks like. I’m 262 with the arms of someone half my size. Am I right in saying that for lagging arms I should just up the rep range? Bearing in mind my problem above, should I go for say 20+2+1? I was thinking maybe I should include one extra straight set for my bi’s and one for my tri’s?

Thanks
      Are you Mr Potato Head perhaps?
      Massive G
      Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

LOL,, that ish was funny FH,, for lagging body parts aim for 15-30rps doesnt matter how they add up ,, your weights might also be the subject try lowering the amount or maybe you have plateau and its time for a new exercise..
        "I pitty the fool who doesnt buy from www.trueprotein.com"

Comment

MS, I have to say you got to dig down farther and push yourself, everyone gets at least on RP worksets 8x3x2, 7x3x2, 8x2x1 or something very close depending if you upped the weight to much, every is getting this no problem, 5-15 deep breaths in between should be more than enough rest to get a few more reps each time in your working sets, pay attention to your warm ups do not tire yourself out, save it for the assault on the workset, c'mon dig a little would ya...
          Last edited by In-Human; 11-09-2004, 08:05 PM.
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

I’ve been training DC style for about 4 weeks now and I’ve made some of the best gains of recent years (up 8lbs to 262. Even more amazing, from my perspective at least, is that I’ve been clean for the last 4 weeks), but I have run into a few problems:

1) The first is regarding the rest pause set. Reading the DC training threads I get the impression I should be doing something like 8+4+3reps, but I can’t get anyway near this number of RP reps. The last time I did DB shoulder press I got 10+0+0, cable curls 9+2+1, bench press 11+1+1 and it’s pretty much the same for everything except triceps exercises. I’m taking about 20secs rest between sets as well (I find it easier to time it rather than count breaths). I presume this is indicative of my fibre type ratio (high %FT?). Regardless, what should I do? Should I just accept it? Should I up the rep range (15+1+1 as opposed to 11+1+1)? Or maybe I should increase the rest time between sets (30secs maybe)?

Thanks
            1) thats really weird if you ask me, maybe you're overtrained (but only 4 weeks?)? that is what i feel like when i hit that point where i really need to cruise and the 2nd set feels like its a hundred times heavier. when i start a blast i always feel like i can do a 8-5-3 almost easily while beating the book. or maybe you are putting a lot of effort in your warmups like ih said

Comment

1) . I’m taking about 20secs rest between sets as well (I find it easier to time it rather than count breaths).
              I would prefer you to count breaths (DEEP breaths) in between RP sets purely because the goal at this time is to get as much oxygen into those lungs as possible
              Massive G
              Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

Originally posted by FrigginHuge
                I would prefer you to count breaths (DEEP breaths) in between RP sets purely because the goal at this time is to get as much oxygen into those lungs as possible
                also, 15 deep breaths take much longer than 20 seconds ... more like 45 seconds ... this will give you a little more rest and make your last sets more productive ...
                Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated ...

Comment

ya and youre reps for dumbell press should definitly be higher i hit around 14 then rest pause my set for DB press looks like this 14 - 5 - 3.

Comment

Stupid question but are you racking the weight in between Rest pauses? 11+1+1 seems like something someone would get if they didnt rack the weight in between but just did a static hold at the top. I doubt this is the case cause that would be tough with DBs but ive seen people think that this is the way they are supposed to do it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                      MS, I have to say you got to dig down farther and push yourself, everyone gets at least on RP worksets 8x3x2, 7x3x2, 8x2x1 or something very close depending if you upped the weight to much, every is getting this no problem, 5-15 deep breaths in between should be more than enough rest to get a few more reps each time in your working sets, pay attention to your warm ups do not tire yourself out, save it for the assault on the workset, c'mon dig a little would ya...
                      The problem is physiological, not psychological. I guarantee my intensity is not the problem.

Originally posted by hangslo
                      also, 15 deep breaths take much longer than 20 seconds ... more like 45 seconds ... this will give you a little more rest and make your last sets more productive ...
                      That’s not in keeping with a quote by DC I read: “I say 15 deep breaths but I want that whole time period to last maybe 20 seconds tops so depending on your breathing 12 to 15 deep breath”

Originally posted by JMR89GT
                      Stupid question but are you racking the weight in between Rest pauses?
                      Yes.

Comment

That’s not in keeping with a quote by DC I read: “I say 15 deep breaths but I want that whole time period to last maybe 20 seconds tops so depending on your breathing 12 to 15 deep breath”
                        15 deep breathes is about 20-30 seconds for me,...... but 45 seconds, no way.
                        each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
                        for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Yeah, same here... it equals out to about 20 secs.
                          No-one trains HARDER!!

Comment

Working...
                          X