DC for me - finally took the plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC for me - finally took the plunge

I'm a 45 year old natty and former Team Skip Member. I've been reading a lot about DCing and finally decided to give it a try. I created a log in Excel and that worked pretty well.

My goals are pretty modest compared to some of you here - I'll be happy if I can add one lb a month of LBM during this off season. I think that will be possible with the DC techniques and a calorie bump.

So here are my thoughts on day one:

I guessed pretty well on weights. My lowest R/P set was for 12 reps plus a SH, my highest was for 19 reps and I'll bump the weight on that next time. I'm aiming for 11-17 R/P reps plus a SH when appropriate.

I was not sure how to do the SH, so what I did was to hold the final rep on the positive portion where I hit failure, resisting the negative return for as long as I could. (10-20 sec) That was a killer!

Stretching went ok but I wish that there were some pictures of the proper technique to look at somewhere. It is hard for a newbie to know if they are doing them correctly if you don't have another Dog Pounder at your gym. I held most for about a minute. Some not as long, but I'll work on that.

Even though my training volume was way down, I feel more soreness now (8 hours after lifting) than I normally do and I sure was spent after the workout, so I think that I'm on the right track.

Hope that you won't mind answering a few questions when I have them. I've tried to read a lot, so hopefully I won't ask too many dumb ones.

You guys have got me psyched about DCing - so if I can get half the gains that others here have talked about I'll be one happy old natty BBer!
    VA Maddog

Welcome to the Dogpound VA!

The static hold is done in the power position of the movement. What stretches are you having trouble learning?
    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
    Good luck
    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Welcome VA Maddog. You'll find all the help you need here- awesome bunch of guys. Looks like you're off to a great start.

Comment

VA, Yes it is tough for us "older" guys to pack on the muscle clean or not, glad you decided to give it a try, good luck and keep us notified...
        "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

jimpaul - I'm not sure if I am doing the shoulder or bicep stretches correctly. I tried to follow the directions for both but I did not feel much of the stretch in my bi's so another explanation of that one might be in order for me. (Tomorow is my first DC Bicep day, but I tried the stretch last week for practice.)

On the shoulder stretch I could feel it mostly in my front shoulder but it also seemed to stress the rotator cuff joint which I have had problems with before and surely do not want to strain again so when I felt pain in the joint (not the muscle) I stopped.

I think that I have got the back, tri and chest stretches ok. Tomorrow I'll try the quad stretch, which if I understand it correctly, seems to be essentially leaning back and down slowly into the botttom of a sissy squat rep but holding on to the bar for stability and controll and also getting up onto your toes The getting up onto your toes sounds ackward, but I have not tried it yet.

I have been doing a lot of active stretching this past year for every muscle group between sets and right after working it, so I may feel less of a difference compared to someone who has not been stretching regularly. I have found that the active stretching has helped bring out more muscle detail in many areas and has helped me stay injury free. The DC stretching is certainly taking it to the next level by adding free weight and duration.
          VA Maddog

Comment

Welcome to the Dogg Pound, VA Maddog.

I'm an older guy myself. This program has worked wonders for me. I think it's even more important to keep the volume low and issure recovery when you are over the 30 than when you are younger.

Out of curiosity what are your stats now?

I'm diggin' the avatar btw. Nice.
            Through the best and the worst
            The struggle and sacrifice.
            For the true who've remained and the new blood.
            Motivation, undying allegiance
            Striving through the hardships and affliction.
            Every drop of blood
            Every bitter tear
            Every bead of sweat
            I live for this

Comment

Lol - My stats are; too tall for my weight and too light for my height! I can get pretty lean and have fairly good symetry but I need to be thicker which mean more lbm as everyone here understands. I have never weighed more than 180 at a height of 5"10" so I fall into Dante's category of the buck 175 to buck 195 guys who have never been big, but my goals are not to be 225 or 250 - 190 would be nice. For me, that would feel big.

Here is a thread to my recent show pics - no laughing at the skinny little old guy! I'm still trying and have made improvements over the past two years so I'm heading in the right direction.

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=4971
              VA Maddog

Comment

VA, These two stretches can take some time to find your niche, but when you figure them out you will love the pain, I mean feeling you get from them, and I won't even tell you how much it helped my old rotators, they are almost 95% back to normal now...
                "That damn log book"

Comment

VA, here's the pic of the bicep stretch. Perform it by reaching back, knuckles up, palms down and taking hold of the bar, then slowly bend down or lunge downward, hold for 60 seconds.

When it comes to the shoulder stretch, your hands are knuckles down, palms up and walk out and at the point of reaching your limit, slowly roll the shoulders down and hold, for 60 seconds.

Hope this helps:
                  ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                  Good luck
                  Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Thanks JP - that is very helpful. I had the bar set too high and was not doing either of these correctly, no wonder my rotator cuff hurt.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and this one sure was - it is very considerate of you to take the time to get the pic and to post it! Much appreciated!

I just printed it out to toss into my gym bag for tomorrow.
                    VA Maddog

Comment

No prohlem, you kind of feel your way through some of these things as Inhuman said. You'll find your niche!

good luck
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

I'd like to get a little feedback from JP and In-Human or anyone else who wants to respond.

Today was my first leg day on D.C. and I'll list my goals (which were a guess of where I should start) and how things went.

After biceps and forearms I did my calf workout first (seated calf raises). Goal was two warm-up sets then 9 reps with 125lb, 5 sec down, hold for 15 sec at the bottom. What I ended up with was 5 reps, then I did a rest pause(which was not planned but I wanted to get more) followed by 3 more reps. I did not have a spotter and the machine has no decent assist mechanism, so my concern was that I would get stuck at the bottom if I pushed to failure. Perhaps this is just not a good (safe) machine for DCing without a spotter. It felt pretty intense though, so I'm thinking it was an ok effort.

Hams -
                        I did what I call high foot placement leg presses - 2 warm-up sets then 6P/side for 8 followed by 5P/side for 20. These were tough, but I did get 8 and 20. I plan to add two 25's next time. I followed these up (after ham stretch) with regular leg presses.

Under my old training program I would do 8 sets on the leg press - 2 warm-up and then 6 heavy (8 or 9 plates a side) for 10 reps each. So for DC I figured that I would start with a warm-up of 10 reps with 5P then 10 with 6P and move to 8 reps with 8P, dropping to 7P(per side) for 20 reps.

So that is how it went and I got all 20 reps, with the last 5 being pretty tough. At the end I was certainly winded, and I could feel a pretty deep muscle activation in the quads especially for the last 3. I followed that up with about a 45 second quad stretch (the bottom sissy squat stretch)(Not sure I'm doing that right - feel free to post another picture JP!)

So a few hours later I'm a little sore now but nothing serious. My plan is to add a 25 to each side for the 8 and 20 rep sets next time.

I guess that I'm thinking that I did not make it intense enough. From what I heard others say it seems like their leg sets were real killers - maybe I'll feel it more later or tomorrow? I tried to slow down the negatives but realistically they were 2-3 sec negatives, not 4-6 sec. Does this all sound about right?

I recognize that it is going to take a few weeks of this for me to start to feel like I am doing everything correctly and pushing to my limit(safely). It does make it tougher when you don't have another knowledgable DCer standing next to you - but I guess that many guys are doing this on thier own so perhaps most people go through this orientation phase. Thanks for your feedback!
                        VA Maddog

Comment

Originally posted by VA Maddog
                          I'd like to get a little feedback from JP and In-Human or anyone else who wants to respond.

Today was my first leg day on D.C. and I'll list my goals (which were a guess of where I should start) and how things went.

After biceps and forearms I did my calf workout first (seated calf raises). Goal was two warm-up sets then 9 reps with 125lb, 5 sec down, hold for 15 sec at the bottom. What I ended up with was 5 reps, then I did a rest pause(which was not planned but I wanted to get more) followed by 3 more reps. I did not have a spotter and the machine has no decent assist mechanism, so my concern was that I would get stuck at the bottom if I pushed to failure. Perhaps this is just not a good (safe) machine for DCing without a spotter. It felt pretty intense though, so I'm thinking it was an ok effort.

jim: Okay VA you went a little too heavy on your first try at DC'in calves, that's okay. We want at least 12 reps on calves, or more, but at least 12!! You should be able to at least pull up on the seated calf if you get stuck, or ask for a spot beforehand!

Hams -
                          I did what I call high foot placement leg presses - 2 warm-up sets then 6P/side for 8 followed by 5P/side for 20. These were tough, but I did get 8 and 20. I plan to add two 25's next time. I followed these up (after ham stretch) with regular leg presses.

jim: We call them Sumo Ham presses or Sumo Legpress.

Under my old training program I would do 8 sets on the leg press - 2 warm-up and then 6 heavy (8 or 9 plates a side) for 10 reps each. So for DC I figured that I would start with a warm-up of 10 reps with 5P then 10 with 6P and move to 8 reps with 8P, dropping to 7P(per side) for 20 reps.

So that is how it went and I got all 20 reps, with the last 5 being pretty tough. At the end I was certainly winded, and I could feel a pretty deep muscle activation in the quads especially for the last 3. I followed that up with about a 45 second quad stretch (the bottom sissy squat stretch)(Not sure I'm doing that right - feel free to post another picture JP!)

jim: I did. It's the bottom position of this pic and hold for a minute.

So a few hours later I'm a little sore now but nothing serious. My plan is to add a 25 to each side for the 8 and 20 rep sets next time.

I guess that I'm thinking that I did not make it intense enough. From what I heard others say it seems like their leg sets were real killers - maybe I'll feel it more later or tomorrow? I tried to slow down the negatives but realistically they were 2-3 sec negatives, not 4-6 sec. Does this all sound about right?

jim: Don't worry if it was intense enough as it will always get more and more intense as you add weight each time as possible.

I recognize that it is going to take a few weeks of this for me to start to feel like I am doing everything correctly and pushing to my limit(safely). It does make it tougher when you don't have another knowledgable DCer standing next to you - but I guess that many guys are doing this on thier own so perhaps most people go through this orientation phase. Thanks for your feedback!
                          jim: Yeah, it took us a little bit too lol. Some of us (ahem) more than others, lol.
                          Good luck
                          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

maddog,

You're just getting a feel for the weights. You're gonna be sore tomorrow morning, though. But let me put it to you this way, the workouts become more and more challenging. IMO, the first one is the easiest because you're not sure what weight you need to be using adn you're still getting the feel for it. This is especially true for legs. Once you start going up in weight really quickly, that 8 repper and 20 repper are going to become absolutely brutal and I usually don't think I'll make it through the 20 repper. I somehow do it anyway, LOL. By the 12th rep I don't see 20 anywhere in sight, and by 15-17 I KNOW 20 isn't anywhere in sight. Then you just find a place on the wall to stare at and grind the last few out. Every workout gets more and more intense than the last, the most intense ones are the ones of a second rotation where you KNOW you have to beat the logbook by atleast a few reps and hopefully weight + a few reps.

About the calf raises, I honestly hate seated calf raise but I do them anyway. The reason? It's not that they're too painful of an exercise, it's just that they don't really feel right doing them DC style. I actually complained at my gym that I couldn't get full extension at the bottom during the movement, and low and behold they actually put some things under the machine to make it higher for me. They took them out when we started getting lots more equipment in though The best calves exercises for DC are IMO calf press on the leg press and standing calf raise. Of course we need three though, and that's where seated raises come in.

Comment

VA, Lighten up the weight on the calves and get 12-20 reps straight setted out with as you said, on your to tip toes, 5 seconds top to bottom, bottom position for 15 seconds.

Sumo Presses for Hams, this is the only Ham exercise we go straight set 12-20 reps.

Leg Press, go for a very heavy set of 7-10 reps followed by a little lighter set of 20, no matter how many times you stop, get those 20 reps done, do not lockout if you need breaths to finish off the 20.

Remember when doing the Quad stretch use both hands to hold on to the sides of the cage, on your toes, push your knees forward til you feel the pain.

Lactic Acid is only in your system for 12-24 hours then DOMS sets in, you keep the intensity high and the weights going up and you will be sore after your workouts but it depends on your recouperation ability how long it lasts...
                              "That damn log book"

Comment

Working...
                              X