hack squat-machine or bb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hack squat-machine or bb?

One of my quad exercises is hack squat on the machine, but these are putting too much stress on my knees, and my hams take up most of the movement for them. So, im thinking of switching over to BB hack squats instead.

My question is, does anybody use BB hack's? If so, how do you like them for a quad exercise? Better than machine?

Thnx
    TRAIN
    EAT
    SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

JnJ I'm wondering if you have your legs too far out in front of you? You say your knees are taking too much stress, but your hamstrings are doing too much of the work?!?

Make absolutely sure that whatever leg exercises you choose to wear wraps or pads, etc.

Warmups? Are you warming up enough? I'd say try, just for the heck of it, to bring the knees in more and wrap them, lower the weight and do a bunch of warmups and see how that feels. You should wait until the soreness goes away before trying to work them again though. If it's going away.

I would think that there are some possible drawbacks from hanging onto a barbell for behind the back hacks. I know it can be a little awkward at first learning it, but it may be a good exercise to try.

Good luck
    jim
    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
    Good luck
    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul
      JnJ I'm wondering if you have your legs too far out in front of you? You say your knees are taking too much stress, but your hamstrings are doing too much of the work?!?

Make absolutely sure that whatever leg exercises you choose to wear wraps or pads, etc.

Warmups? Are you warming up enough? I'd say try, just for the heck of it, to bring the knees in more and wrap them, lower the weight and do a bunch of warmups and see how that feels. You should wait until the soreness goes away before trying to work them again though. If it's going away.

I would think that there are some possible drawbacks from hanging onto a barbell for behind the back hacks. I know it can be a little awkward at first learning it, but it may be a good exercise to try.

Good luck
      jim
      thnx for the info jim!

right before my hack squats i do sumo-style leg press, so my hams are pretty worn out by then. i do about 2 warm-ups, and i feel comfortable with that. my feet placing is a couple inches below the top of the platform, and the width is about shoulder width with toes slightly pointed outwords. and yes, i dont work the same muscle if it's still sore, so soreness is not a prob.

any ideas? should i switch? different foot placing? because i dont feel it in the quads too much. should i do sumo-style press for hams after, although there will still be ham movement in my hack squat which is before the sumo, if i did it that way.

thnx
      TRAIN
      EAT
      SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

If your feet are too far out in front, it would effect your hams more. I'd pull them in some.
        ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
        Good luck
        Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

If your feet are too far out in front, it would effect your hams more. I'd pull them in some.
          ya i know, i tried them closer to me before, but my knees were going to explode! and i dont have any wraps or anything. thnx for the help though jim!
          TRAIN
          EAT
          SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

J, definitely get some wraps! Good luck bud.
            Good luck
            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Are you going all the way to the bottom, squat down in between your legs, feet placed on the most outer upper part of the platform...
              "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

I had this same problem to for a long time and i just kept banging my head against the wall trying to fiqure out what to due until I just spent like an hour figuring out what felt better on certain exercises on one of my off days. I find that if i keep my legs near the bottom of the platform I can't use as mush weight but i feel it more in my quads. Also get a set of neoprene leg sleeves inhuman recommended these and after two workouts I can't tell why I did not by them earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                  Are you going all the way to the bottom, squat down in between your legs, feet placed on the most outer upper part of the platform...

im going alittle bit below paralel, but my feet placings are a couple inches below platform, shoulder width and toes pointed slightly outword.
                  Last edited by JnJ23; 11-07-2004, 05:17 PM.
                  TRAIN
                  EAT
                  SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

I've been doing the BB hacks for a while because my university gym doesn't have the machine. It was a little awkward at first and the weight was low but I did feel it in my quad's for the most part. I guess it could be all preference, however.

Comment

Originally posted by JnJ23
                      im going alittle bit below paralel, but my feet placings are a couple inches below platform, shoulder width and toes pointed slightly outword.
                      JnJ, that might be the problem right there. You should be going as far down as possible, mainly as Raul always says, Ass to Grass.

Here's some info from Dante about wraps:

Doggcrapp::To each his own but Ive very rarely seen anyone do incredibly heavy leg movements as an advanced bodybuilder (from coleman on down) who didnt use knee wraps. Ive seen alot of guys weighing 210lbs and less doing less than average weight with out leg wraps. If you can show me a bodybuilder with incredibly huge wheels doing max weights with reps between 3 and 8 I would be very surprised. Personally my knees start hurting when I dont use knee wraps but again to each his own.
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

JnJ, that might be the problem right there. You should be going as far down as possible, mainly as Raul always says, Ass to Grass.

Here's some info from Dante about wraps:

Doggcrapp::To each his own but Ive very rarely seen anyone do incredibly heavy leg movements as an advanced bodybuilder (from coleman on down) who didnt use knee wraps. Ive seen alot of guys weighing 210lbs and less doing less than average weight with out leg wraps. If you can show me a bodybuilder with incredibly huge wheels doing max weights with reps between 3 and 8 I would be very surprised. Personally my knees start hurting when I dont use knee wraps but again to each his own.
                        thnx for the info jim, your a big help bro. im gonna go get some knee wraps, because i dont want any knee porblems in the near future.
                        TRAIN
                        EAT
                        SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Originally posted by JnJ23
                          thnx for the info jim, your a big help bro. im gonna go get some knee wraps, because i dont want any knee porblems in the near future.
                          Hey I'm learning from the best like everyone else, lol. FH and IH had a discussion one time where they pointed out that it was MORE stressful on the knees to try and stop short of the bottom position. I know when I started with Dante I had slight pains in one of my knees (from just going below parallel) but now the pain is gone since I've been "bottoming" out.

Do you know HOW to wrap by the way?

jim
                          Good luck
                          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
                            There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
                            He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
                            To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin
                            What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
                            He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
                            He's chokin, how everybody's jokin now
                            The clock's run out, time's up over, bloah!
                            Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity
                            Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
                            He's so mad, but he won't give up that
                            Easy, no
                            He won't have it , he knows his whole back's to these ropes
                            It don't matter, he's dope
                            He knows that, but he's broke
                            He's so stacked that he knows
                            When he goes back to his mobile home, that's when it's
                            Back to the lab again yo
                            This whole rap shit
                            He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him
                            Good luck
                            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

this should give people idea's about knee wrapping:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...highlight=wrap
                              Good luck
                              Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X