Can someone point me to the basic R/P description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone point me to the basic R/P description

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right thread(s) where I can find the basic Rest Pause method description and also where I can find the basic exercise descriptions for DC. I looked all through the various stickies and could not find either. I might have just missed it - there are a lot of threads and posts to look through.

A long time ago I thought that I had printed them out, but now I can't find them. Thanks!

(Former Team Skip Member and still a friend)
    Last edited by VA Maddog; 11-04-2004, 06:23 PM.
    VA Maddog

you might want to check muscle mayhem, i think they have it.

Comment

Muscle Mayhem Training

there ya go, that should work.. howve u been VA? i know you from over at the beverly forums.

Comment

Thanks Ben - that is what I was looking for.

I'm still over at the BI Board a lot, lurk here now and then. Trying to put together a good off-season training plan. I have been interested in the D.C. approach for awhile now and want to see if I can't incorporate many of the principals into the program I'm putting together. Over the past few years I have moved closer to a DC style program, but still do more sets and exercises than D.C. lays out.

A couple of the things that I still have to work thorough are;

How I would approach the rest pause strategy w/o a training partner (can't really end on the negative on some exercises w/o a training partner there)

Wondering how effective the program would be for a natty BBer if I would only bump daily total k/cals to between 500 and 1,000 over maintenance. (Would be about 3,500 to 4,000 for me)

Still trying to figure out what the right number of warm-up sets should be - guess that varies on the exercise.

I am not looking to put on 25 or 50 lbs through DC - but a lb a month would be great if my bf level would stay in the 7-9% range. (I'm probably about 6 or 7% now, got down to the mid 4's for my last contest)

I do really like the idea of continual progress with reps or weight in a very controlled fashion and a limited number of working sets. Rest pause also sounds very intense. I also see a lot of value in the extream stretching aspects of the program. Have you tried it?
        VA Maddog

Comment

How I would approach the rest pause strategy w/o a training partner (can't really end on the negative on some exercises w/o a training partner there)
          Many here train without a partner, you can end on the negative in smythe machine or if you are using hammer machines. Good trick for rack chins is to load the weight in a backpag or put a belt real loose around you and hang weights on it.

Loosing one negative is nothing to worry about, just beat the logbook.

Still trying to figure out what the right number of warm-up sets should be - guess that varies on the exercise.
          That's very individual, just do enough to feel warmed up and strong and don't tire yourself out.

I am not looking to put on 25 or 50 lbs through DC - but a lb a month would be great if my bf level would stay in the 7-9% range. (I'm probably about 6 or 7% now, got down to the mid 4's for my last contest)
          You should be able to get better progress than that while keeping the fat the same.

I also see a lot of value in the extream stretching aspects of the program. Have you tried it?
          The stretching is brutal but it works.
          each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
          for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Since you guys are in a helpful mood can a ask a few more questions just to make sure that I understand things?

Straight sets are suggested for heavy back and leg movements like deadlifts, leg presses, hacks.

So as an example for the leg press the suggested series would be a few warm-up sets followed by a heavy working set of 4-6 reps - rest 1-2 minutes - followed by a second heavy working set with a goal of 20 reps with the same weight. The tempo would still be an explosive push with a controlled 4-6 sec return for each rep. Is that corrrect?

For the sets where a static hold is called for at the end of a R/P set - is that essentially trying to push out one last rep but only getting say half-way through it, and then attempting to hold that position for 20-30 seconds? Do you use the same weight for that final static rep and does it follow the last R/P rep without a pause or does it come after another 15 breath pause?

I have tried some of the extream stretches (so far still way short of the goal for duration) but the "pain" that I feel is not really in the muscle. For example with the calf stretch the tightness and discomfort is in the ligaments and tendons in my foot, not in the calf. For the hanging biceps or back stretch it is my grip and wrists that give out (even with wraps) not a feeling of pain in the muscle. Is this normal and what you guys also experience or am I doing something incorrectly?

Has anyone run across any pics of people demonstrating the correct stretching positions?

Thanks for helping me understand.
            VA Maddog

Comment

Straight sets are suggested for heavy back and leg movements like deadlifts, leg presses, hacks.
              correct

So as an example for the leg press the suggested series would be a few warm-up sets followed by a heavy working set of 4-6 reps - rest 1-2 minutes - followed by a second heavy working set with a goal of 20 reps with the same weight.
              warmup and do heawy set of 4-8 reps, then rest as you need (personally I rest pretty long, 5-10 minutes), after 1 minute I'm still getting my breath and my legs are tired so I would rest minimum 3 minutes, but that's just me. For the 20 repper you go for a little lighter weight, a weight you could get maybe 10-15 reps and then you rest between reps (don't lockout your knees though) to get up to 20 reps.

The tempo would still be an explosive push with a controlled 4-6 sec return for each rep. Is that corrrect?
              For leg exercises 6 seconds is a bit much so I'd say 2-4 seconds is more like it,..... and do a "controlled explosive", i.e. as explosive as you can be with perfect form.

I have tried some of the extream stretches (so far still way short of the goal for duration) but the "pain" that I feel is not really in the muscle.
              I also had trouble with some stretches, there are few other stretches you can try (I think there was a post about it in the dogg pound general conversation forum few weeks ago). Keep in mind that it takes some time to get some stretches, also choosing the right weight in the weighted stretches can help.

For the hanging biceps or back stretch it is my grip and wrists that give out (even with wraps) not a feeling of pain in the muscle.
              The hanging back stretch seems to work better for me if I really try to relax my lats completely and use a very wide grip,... there are however some other lat stretches I use sometimes.

Just do your best with the stretches and try different variations, this is a lot about feel, I'we had trouble with many stretches (probably because I don't have much muscle to stretch yet, lol).

Comment

Thanks Egill. Are you really in Iceland? What has your personal experience with DC been so far?

I'm going to try to come up with a couple of spreadsheets that I can use as a log and that will help me keep track of what I need to do until I get the swing of it.

I'm going to give DC a try and see how it will work for an old natty. (45 now - yikes) It sure seems like a lot of people on the boards have had success with it. (Not sure about other old natty's - but there are probably some out there) Like I said, my expectations are not way out there so hopefully it will work well for me also. I did put up a few pics in the contest photo section about two months ago, so if you look at them you will see that I'm a lot closer to lean and mean than I am to being big and bad - lol. I know that I could probably add more weight if I wanted to eat a ton more, but I don't want to bump my calories that high so I'm going to give it a whirl with a more moderate calorie bump. My gains will be less than others but that's ok, if I can add 10-12 lbs of LBM over the next year I'll be pleased. I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I get into it.
                VA Maddog

Comment

Thanks Egill. Are you really in Iceland?
                  lol, yeah, it's good to live here, it's not supercold here like the name sounds.

What has your personal experience with DC been so far?
                  He has been training me since last May (I think) and I'm very happy with the results and what I'we learned although I'm far from being one of his best gainers. I'm probably the lightest trainee (male trainee at least, lol) he's taken so far, I was 147 6' when I started with him.

I'm going to give DC a try and see how it will work for an old natty. (45 now - yikes) It sure seems like a lot of people on the boards have had success with it. (Not sure about other old natty's - but there are probably some out there) Like I said, my expectations are not way out there so hopefully it will work well for me also.
                  If you follow the program to the T then it'll in no doubt work well, and that means also choosing the right frequency for your recouperation.

Comment

Working...
                  X