glove alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glove alternative

I won't wear workout gloves. Have in the past (leather, mesh, neoprene) and don't like any of them. But as the weights are going up the calluses are getting to be not very lady-like so I'm thinkin' about some sort of tape for just across where the calluses build up during workouts. Anybody use tape instead of gloves? If so what kind?
    "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
    Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

I've been using lifting straps since starting DC training. I've been too lazy to take them off in between sets and have left them on just out of laziness.....so during the sets I don't need them I've been laying the strap across my palm so that it isn't dangling loose. I've found that my callouses have gone down and couldn't figure why until I thought about what I've been doing.......try it out if you've got some laying around.

R

Comment

Be proud of your hands. They show how much work you've put into the lifts

I can remember when i started lifting i had nice hands. Now they are beat up, aswell as my shins.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try the straps. I am proud of my calluses and the work I'm putting in. I'm just looking out for those quiet times with the spouse. Don't want him to freak out at man-hands in the dark, if you know what I mean. :p
        "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
        Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

ya because man hands are nasty and can actually cut the sensitive skin. which is not a good idea.

Comment

:iagree: and nobody likes man-hands on a chick anyways....
            -----------------------------------
            TrueProtein.com
            Discount Code: grm229
            ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by antihero
              :iagree: and nobody likes man-hands on a chick anyways....
              The term "Man Hands" makes me laugh, I keep thinking about that Seinfeld episode.
              ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
              Good luck
              Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
              SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
              TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

I soak mine in palmolive 3 times a day (with some lady named Madge)
                @dante_trudel

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul
                  The term "Man Hands" makes me laugh, I keep thinking about that Seinfeld episode.
                  Yeah...I'm not like that. Those were some scary hands!

I'm just trying to prevent here. An ounce of prevention...you know how the saying goes. If preventing doesn't work I'll try Dante's method. Maybe.
                  Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

I know this is most likely impracticle (sp?) but I remember long ago that some people would use sponges when they lifted. Yes I realize it was before gloves and that it was for preventing slipping but, who knows.

As far as tape, I would be concerned with circulation and losing grip, for sure.
                    I'm looking for an alternative and if I find something I'll get back to you.

jim
                    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                    Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Here's a close alternative, it is a form of glove though and smallest size may be medium.

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index....entPage=family
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

another semi alternative:

http://www.newgrip.com/
                        Good luck
                        Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Thanks for the links, jimpaul. And just so there is some input here from the spouse, the only manhands in our house are mine.
                          CrossFit Champions
                          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Originally posted by The Munster
                            Thanks for the links, jimpaul. And just so there is some input here from the spouse, the only manhands in our house are mine.
                            I know. I've seen her pics..........lucky bastard!

Here's some "advice" about calluses though. They say use pumice stones in the shower after the workout and heavy moisturizer.

"Gloves are a pretty personal thing and if you want to wear them that's fine. The danger in gloves is that the assistance they lend to your grip impedes your grip strength development. If you're worried about calluses, pick up a foot file. Every day in the shower, file down your calluses. After the shower, apply some heavy duty hand cream. You'll have some skin thickness there which will protect your hands, but it won't feel rough. "

hope something helped
                            jim
                            Good luck
                            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

i use sponges on a few pushing exercises---little porous pads!
                              "Never give up form for weight, makes no sense, form is key the weights will follow..."

"Get...it...done"

**RACK's Shitt HOTT Dogg Logg**

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE

Comment

Working...
                              X