back pain during SM squats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back pain during SM squats

i was wondering if there were tricks or ideas on how to eliminate lower back pain during smith machine squats on the 20 repper. right now my feet are a little wider than shoulder width and just a little forward. after 10 reps give or take, my lower back starts to really feel it so any advice would be appreciated.

Hmm....that sounds right. My stance is similar to that. I try to squat in between my legs. That and keep my back as upright as possible. I'm sure some of the experts will chime in soon.

R

Comment

Define lower back pain.
      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

where do you have the bar? If it is high on the neck your lower back will try to adjust.
        It is best to have the bar resting on your lower part of the traps.

Comment

the bar is on the middle of my traps and future my lower back gets really tired and it feels almost impossible to stand straight.

Comment

If it's "pain" and your not sure if it's serious, go to the doc. If it's pain as in muscle fatigue then I think deads will help you out. It may be that you need a extra day off if it's right after some brutal leg workout. Your going to have to figure out if it's weakness or a lack of recuperation.

If your eating and drinking properly I'd look to deads to help build up the back.

jim
            ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
            Good luck
            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
            SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
            TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Yeah, I am with JP here. If back fatigue is the "pain" deal with it. Happens to alot of us. You can do some more ab work, stretch more between sets, try doing good mornings etc.

Realize that 20 reppers are supposed to tire out your back.
              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul
                If it's "pain" and your not sure if it's serious, go to the doc. If it's pain as in muscle fatigue then I think deads will help you out. It may be that you need a extra day off if it's right after some brutal leg workout. Your going to have to figure out if it's weakness or a lack of recuperation.

If your eating and drinking properly I'd look to deads to help build up the back.

jim
                this blast i decided to move deads to another day they use to be on mon and then squats on the wed but not anymore. i do bar rows on mon. i think it has something to do with my technique because im quite strong in the lower back. my back is my best bodypart. im not sure but i dont think it helps that im pretty much 6 feet 4. do you think putting a 5 lbs plate under my toes would help?

Comment

Plates under the toes wont help.
                  Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by goliath23
                    this blast i decided to move deads to another day they use to be on mon and then squats on the wed but not anymore. i do bar rows on mon. i think it has something to do with my technique because im quite strong in the lower back. my back is my best bodypart. im not sure but i dont think it helps that im pretty much 6 feet 4. do you think putting a 5 lbs plate under my toes would help?
                    Well we all know that your lower back can get plenty of work on bar rows, especially if you tend to swing a bit on them. If you ever watch Ronnie Coleman do the bent rows in "Unbelievable", I think his form on those is really not that bad.
                    I don't remember him swinging it up during most sets, including the last with five plates each side but that's my opinion.
                    I would just watch out for the "heaving" part of the rows and see if you need to tighten up your form.

jim
                    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                    Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Yeah, I thought Ronnie's row form was actually pretty good. He made 495 look like nothing. But if you are a good deadlifter its stands to reason that you can do that kind of thing.
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Future
                        Plates under the toes wont help.
                        do you think putting my feet not as far forward would help

Comment

Yeah I do. You will have to play around what is comfortable for you. Going too deep too if not use to the new placement could tweak the lower back insertion near the glutes so play around with it and be careful. Try adding a belt as well.
                          Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Future
                            Yeah I do. You will have to play around what is comfortable for you. Going too deep too if not use to the new placement could tweak the lower back insertion near the glutes so play around with it and be careful. Try adding a belt as well.
                            i already wear the belt but ill give it a try with the feet not so forward. can the width of my feet affect something or is a little wider than shoulder width with toes pointed slightly outwards the ideal way of doing it.

Comment

It's hard to say how the feet affect you without watching. It depends on how you squat. I squat shoulder width or closer with my toes pointed out. Try some different stances and see.

Make sure you arent turning the Smith into a hack squat.
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X