Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating the protein First Reviewing Why we do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating the protein First Reviewing Why we do it.

There was a recent thread on Mayhem in which someone questioned DANTE's advice to eat the protein first.
    I thought I'd share it here and added some more clarification on my part why we do this.
    Dante could probably write 2 books on this stuff so what I write most already know or maybe not.
    Every few years I have posted it and always get a few people that benefit from it.
    We DC'ers already eat proteins first but I thought I'd share why since I have eaten for function since day 1.

DC::Think for a second--If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

If I can add something here to further back Dante's theories:
    Eating protein first in a meal increases the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall amount of protein as an end result in from a meal. In short a greater amount of aminos make it to the blood stream. Everytime I have written about this in the past few years people always are like "WOW I learned something new today".
    I call it eating for function.
    The function of the digestive system.
    I eat proteins first for 2 reasons-that digestive system is physiologically geared that way and it improves the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall availability of proteins/aminos from food for the body to use.
    Carbohydrates are digested 30% in the mouth with the salivary enzyme amylase and of course chewing.
    CARBS aren't digested in the stomach=they just sit there and slowly pass into the small intestines where the pancreatic enzymes do 70% more and complete the process.
    Fats are the same way if eaten first or mixed with carbs will sit there and clog up digestion.
    Proteins are primarily digested in the stomach. Therfore, eating proteins after these foods will result in a reduced amount of protein digestion-leaving some incompletely digested and unabsorbable and therefore lost.
    This in turn causes the undigested protein to be pulled into the small intestine reducing the protein effeciency of your meal and contributing to the mass of your colon.
    You want something worse? We are set up by traditional eating to fail.
    Go out to a steak house. First thing you get is your salad-THAT is the last thing you want to eat in a meal after the steak and then the potato.
    Cellulose is undigestable by the human body and will really clog up the process reducing the effeciency of digestion and your meal itself.

As mentioned previously proteins speed up the metabolic rate more than carbs and fat. Concerning basal metabolism proteins speed it up 30%, Carbs and fats 10%. The mere process of digestion and absorbtion of protein races the metabolism and will increase anabolism in an advanced athlete.

Now granted you can eat a huge meal like a Mcdonalds Combo meal mix it all up and it will get digested but it will interfere with feedings and the effeciency of the meal will be less and eventually leadto a lot of adipose tissue gain.

There are reasons we eat Protein and Fat together and protein and carbs. Insulin. Eating fat and carbs are a death warrant to bb'ers when consumed together and lays adipose tissue down as easily as Home Depot lays down cheap carpet.

I could write more especially on the types of proteins and their absorbtion-things like incomplete proteins etc.

Poor Rocky still thinks Peanuts are a good protein meal when their amino acid structure is very very poor.
    Maybe one day we can teach him that Rockys interpretation of DC training isn't DC training.

Anyhoo..just my 2 cents. We are all here to learn from each other but Dante's methods are backed by science and 3-4 years of online "University" studies with 100's reaping the benefits-so it is good advice and gospel for most ADVANCED lifters.

PEACE.
    This was a good post too in the thread:
    Protein will serve you a dual role in body modification in that it is as important for body fat reduction as it is for muscular gains. In regards to body fat reduction, protein has a specific dynamic action on the metabolism which means that when you ingest protein, your metabolic rate is elevated higher and remains elevated longer than when you ingest either fats or carbohydrates. A high carb meal will only elevate your metabolism from 4 to 30 percent above normal. This small elevation will last only 2 to 5 hours. A high protein meal however will elevate your metabolism by up to 70 percent above normal and this effect can last as long as 10 to 12 hours."

The entire thread is on mayhem and I thought I'd bring at least some good points out of it and add it here for others benefits.

http://www.chadnicholls.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=19663
    Massive G
    Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

good post bro thanks alot

GR03

Comment

G, You know as well as I do this post went in Silee's ear and out the other side, he didn't pick up on one bit of it...
      "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
        G, You know as well as I do this post went in Silee's ear and out the other side, he didn't pick up on one bit of it...
        I know he never responded so I thought I'd post it here to let others benefit from it.
        He's another one that's gonna re-invent the DC wheel..*sigh*
        Massive G
        Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

Great post
          "This sport is about extremes - using weights you havent used previously, taking in amounts of food to build greater muscle mass-in amounts you never have done previously, & doing the cardio to keep you at an acceptable offseason training bodyfat that keeps you happy." Dante

For supplements, visit http://www.trueprotein.com & use this
          DISCOUNT CODE - THA778
          for a 5% Discount

Comment

a great and informative post! thnx G
            TRAIN
            EAT
            SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Agreed. Good post. It's always good to learn something or revisit it, whichever is the case.
              Ain't Nuttin to it, but to do it!

True Protein- The Best!

TRUE PROTEIN DISCOUNT CODE: JER621

Comment

thanks Massive. u know, i always noticed that when i ate my protein first, i recovered alot quicker. now i know why.

-------------
                [email protected]
                [email protected]
                [email protected]
                www.trueprotein.com

Comment

mmmmm protein
                  Lift big 2 get big
                  TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
                  mod at bodybuilding.com
                  mod at iron-forum.com
                  mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
                  So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
                  "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
                  Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

very good refresher class!
                    SweatMachine
                    (pronounced: Swet-Mow-Sheen)

That which we manifest lies before us.

Comment

You let us down MG, I was expecting a pic of a big steak sitting in front of the ever present microwave...

Comment

Originally posted by Tills
                        You let us down MG, I was expecting a pic of a big steak sitting in front of the ever present microwave...
                        I'll never letyou guys down..count on it.
                        How about 4 steaks...2uncut and 2 cut...
                        Massive G
                        Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

you dont wait after eating protein before taking in the carbs do you? I mean, its the same meal on the same plate so to say? You just finnish the protein first, then you eat the carbs right away, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Pr0nDog
                            you dont wait after eating protein before taking in the carbs do you? I mean, its the same meal on the same plate so to say? You just finnish the protein first, then you eat the carbs right away, or what?
                            Yes
                            I eat
                            Steak
                            Rice (if it's before 7 PM)
                            Veggies..in that order.
                            The only time I mix carbs and proteins is in the liquid form, pre and post work out .
                            That means steak goes down the hatch first, then the potato
                            Not I take a bite of steak then potato mix eat swallowar what ever ..
                            Preoteins are eaten first and isolated in the meal...
                            Massive G
                            Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

Comment

oh man G, that steak looks awesome! what kind is it?
                              TRAIN
                              EAT
                              SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X