Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating the protein First Reviewing Why we do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken "Skip" Hill
    replied
    The "vehicle" is antiquated but the information is not. Thank you for dropping in.

Skip

Originally posted by Kcburrows24 View Post
    I can't believe this post is 15 years old and yet this is the first time I'm hearing anything like this. Absolutely loving all the knowledge i'm learning in regards to DC training. I've been scouring this site for a month now every chance i get and still haven't even scratched the surface. Awesome stuff... Thanks Skip for keeping the site up for guys like me who are super late to the party!

Leave a comment:

• Kcburrows24
    replied
    I can't believe this post is 15 years old and yet this is the first time I'm hearing anything like this. Absolutely loving all the knowledge i'm learning in regards to DC training. I've been scouring this site for a month now every chance i get and still haven't even scratched the surface. Awesome stuff... Thanks Skip for keeping the site up for guys like me who are super late to the party!

Leave a comment:

• ursmar
    replied
    Thanks for bumping the thread, flex. I hadn't seen it before.

Leave a comment:

• bigflex0
    replied
    Originally posted by berryswole22 View Post
    Hey guys that drink raw eggs: you might want to do some research into the binding protein avidin which is present in egg whites. Avidin keep the aminos bound together and requires intense heat or the vitamin biotin to denature it and bind to it. Egg whites are extremely low in biotin. Basically, this means that drinking raw egg whites leads to no digestion and absorption or the aminos contained in eg protein. To digest egg protein it should be cooked or supplemented with a large dose of biotin to bind and deactivate the avidin.
    There was a study done in the 50's or 60's on an man that ate only raw egg whites and pretty much nothing else. He was so frail and malnourished due to protein deficiency and a biotin deficiency due to the the avidin in the egg whites drawing a lot of biotin from his system.
    I know this was posted a long time ago but was never addressed as far as I can see. I know most of us use the pasteurized liquid egg white products. After looking into this one of the retailers had this to say:

The human body cannot completely, or safely digest raw eggs (if salmonella is present). In addition, Avidin a substance found in raw egg whites, may interfere with biotin, potentially causing a vitamin-B deficiency.
    Our Liquid Egg Whites are NOT RAW. They are pasteurized which kills salmonella and neutralizes avidin so our Egg Whites are 100% Bio-available and completely safe to use without cooking!

So this is a non-issue unless you are separating them by hand at home. Even then if that is what you do grab a bottle of biotin just about anywhere, it is cheap and helps with BG.

Leave a comment:

• martin_h
    replied
    I often save my meat till last on my plate and eat the rest first, purely because I like to save what I like most till last and then enjoy it. As far as I am aware, this isn't an eating disorder...yet.

However, when I go out for a Chinese Buffet I will always eat in this order;

Protein due to its effects on short and long term hunger suppression & TEF: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18469287
    Veggies - For volume and to fill me up, to stop me eating a sht tonne of carbs I dont actually want
    Fats- due to effect on appetite-suppression
    Carbs
    Desserts

I also read an article a few years back that said at buffets, we will tend to over eat on things we dont actually enjoy or would eat otherwise, because its there to eat. So I always try to limit my choices down to what I love and go from there.

Failing that, just think fck it and go mad and pick up the pieces later.

Leave a comment:

• deanstm
    replied
    Great discussion!

Leave a comment:

• mentalflex
    replied
    Originally posted by dakoose View Post
    Well, it would depend on which vegetables, but if you read the entire first post in this thread you'd see why MassiveG thinks it's a bad idea; it's because of the cellulose in a lot of vegetables. At the end of the day, it sounds like it's all about which macronutrient or food type increases the efficiency of digestion and stokes the metabolism most, and it looks like it's fairly clear that it's protein, so eat your protein first.
    And to add to this, from a muscle building perspective, why you you want to delay the uptake of amino acids? Get that protein synthesis rollin'!

Leave a comment:

• greensoup
    replied
    @dean

to answer your question about why the nutritionists ("experts") suggest doing stuff like this, either
    1. their knowledge is low and cannot think for themselves and thus jump on nutritional bandwagons, or
    2. they want to market something

i'd go with 1.

Leave a comment:

• dakoose
    replied
    Originally posted by deanstm View Post
    I can't find any evidence on PubMed except for digestion and absorption rates which were done in pigs by measuring faeces output.

I never advocated or believed stratified digestion to be a real thing within the stomach as we have all felt out stomach churn when we feel sick.

I just put that the article up as a point for discussion towards perhaps why so many nutritionist today perhaps place emphasis on the order of eating watery substances, then fruit, then carbs, then protein and finally fat.

Again, like I have said before, the whole thread to me is ultimately about sequential eating , protein is being eaten first so as to limit carb consumption.

So I just questioned why you wouldn't eat your veg first especially if its only 1 cup, and then move onto the protein.
    Well, it would depend on which vegetables, but if you read the entire first post in this thread you'd see why MassiveG thinks it's a bad idea; it's because of the cellulose in a lot of vegetables. At the end of the day, it sounds like it's all about which macronutrient or food type increases the efficiency of digestion and stokes the metabolism most, and it looks like it's fairly clear that it's protein, so eat your protein first.

Leave a comment:

• deanstm
    replied
    I can't find any evidence on PubMed except for digestion and absorption rates which were done in pigs by measuring faeces output.

I never advocated or believed stratified digestion to be a real thing within the stomach as we have all felt out stomach churn when we feel sick.

I just put that the article up as a point for discussion towards perhaps why so many nutritionist today perhaps place emphasis on the order of eating watery substances, then fruit, then carbs, then protein and finally fat.

Again, like I have said before, the whole thread to me is ultimately about sequential eating , protein is being eaten first so as to limit carb consumption.

So I just questioned why you wouldn't eat your veg first especially if its only 1 cup, and then move onto the protein.

Leave a comment:

• mentalflex
    replied
    Originally posted by martin_h View Post
    holy clusterfucking..

people eating this and that at meals and having digestive problems would probably be down to the composition of the meal, rather than a bit of this and that.

As for food sitting in layers..So the stomach is a refinery now and layers food in terms of heat..am I right?

Mental, am I right in recalling you have digestive problems? I ask because I guess your pretty well versed in digestion and what causes irritation..
    Yes, very bad GI problems lol

Different foods have different rates of digestion and different enzymes break down different foods.

Food goes into the stomach, mixes around with enzymes, and then passes to the small intestine where the nutrients are absorbed.

The only way I can see this process actually working is you wait for each type of food to clear your stomach.

Dean, can you please post some of the scientific evidence that shows how the digestion process work in layers? Not information from the website you posted, but real scientific evidence? If this is true, there should surely be information out there....

Leave a comment:

• deanstm
    replied
    People eating this and that, was referring to the fact that most of the general population never eat sequentially or put thought into the order in which food is put into their mouth at a meal..

Just makes sense to me, that by eating foods alone rather than combined, the body can focus on optimally producing the required amount of digestive enzyme rather than overcompensating leading to acid indigestion or undercompensating causing undigested food to pass into the large intestine where it may ferment and cause gas.

We are all following sequential eating by eating protein first, followed by carbs, except I just made the point that I put veg first due to its faster digestion. Again that's just my preference.

Again, as I said I just put it up for discussion
    Last edited by deanstm; 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• martin_h
    replied
    holy clusterfucking..

people eating this and that at meals and having digestive problems would probably be down to the composition of the meal, rather than a bit of this and that.

As for food sitting in layers..So the stomach is a refinery now and layers food in terms of heat..am I right?

Mental, am I right in recalling you have digestive problems? I ask because I guess your pretty well versed in digestion and what causes irritation..

Leave a comment:

• deanstm
    replied
    Originally posted by dakota1981 View Post
    This is a bodybuilding site, and the DoggPound is for experienced lifters..
    No way! For real?

Anyway, I was only making some suggestions towards the knowledge of today as Dante suggested this quite a number of years ago.

Bodybuilding knowledge is always progressing, so I put this to be argued that's all.

If that's your opinion, I'm not going to argue against it.

That's the whole point of discussion.
    Last edited by deanstm; 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dakota1981
    replied
    The purpose of my reply wasn't to claim you're a newb. But post shit like this up, you'll make the claim for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X